Monday, October 28, 2013

Dancing with Fate by Hywela Lyn @KMNbooks @WildRosePress @Hywela_Lyn #vampires #flashfictionbash

Hywela's contest has ended and the winner of the Gift Token for TWRP is Emily! Congratulations!

KAREN: Hywela Lyn pens fantasy or Science Fiction romances where her worlds she creates are untainted by crowded cities and technology. Instead they embrace the beauty and wildness of nature. Hywela also illustrates for the the interactive blog Author Roast and Toast! Beware: Hywela's FLASH FICTION tale, Last of the Bloodline, will make your blood run cold.

GIVEAWAY: Hywela is giving away a $10 TWRP Gift Certificate to one lucky trick or treater who comments on the post!

Don't forget to enter the Rafflecopter for a chance at one of the Grand Prizes! You can enter once a day for additional chances! Good Luck!
***

LAST OF THE BLOODLINE BY HYWELA LYN

             “An October moon threw weird shadows all around us, and a slight breeze stirred the crisp copper and gold leaves in eddies around Mike’s feet.
             “I came as soon as I could Karla, what is it? Your text sounded urgent.”
             “Thank you for coming, Mike, I need your help. I linked my arm in his and we made our way into the little parlour. He’d left his car at the top of the lane, since the narrow path leading to my cottage, deep in the woods, was impossible for any motor vehicle. I was fairly sure he didn’t believe in vampires. How could I persuade him to help me destroy the monster who would kill me without a second thought? I couldn’t do it by myself. My enemy was too strong.
            He sat on the small settee and stretched out his long legs. “Suppose you tell me what’s got you so worked up?”
            I seated myself beside him. “It’s Harrington, Mike. I don’t think I can stand it any longer. He’s been watching me, ever since he moved into the village three weeks ago. He follows me to work, he hides among the trees and hovers around the cottage, always at dusk or in the early hours before it’s properly light.”
            “You mean he’s stalking you?”
            “No, not stalkingI think he means to kill me.”
            I saw his face pale, and an expression of incredulity creep across his face.
            “Are you sure, Karla, if you’re really frightened of him I think you should go to the Police.”
            I shook my head and bit my lip. “How can I? What am I going to tell them? I haven’t a shred of evidence; they’d only have my word for it. He’s never openly threatened me and I can’t prove he’s watching my movements.”
            I watched his face closely as he considered my words. I’ve known Mike for six months and we’ve grown quiteclose. Well, let’s not beat about the bush, he made it pretty clear he was in love with me, and I have to admit I found him the most attractive man I’d been with for a long time. I took a deep breath. “Mike, I know you find it hard to believe in the supernatural, but I need you to trust me.”
            He put his arm around me and gazed into my eyes with that intent, serious expression of his. “You know I trust you. Now, what is this all about?”
            I told him everything—well nearly everything. I didn’t tell him who Harrington really was, of course. I did my best to explain how the man was immortal—one of the ‘undead’ if you like, although, like most immortals, he could be killed. I said I felt sure I would be his next victim. When I had finished, Mike gasped and stared at me in shock. But I could see he believed me—especially when I showed him the ancient piece of parchment on which was written a message written in blood, concerning the vampire slayer Van Helsing. It stated  that the greatest vampire in history had cursed him to immortality with his dying breath. He promised his descendants would pursue Van Helsing and any of his bloodline through all eternity.
            “This message has been passed down through generations of my family,” I told him. Somehow he has discovered my true identity. I am the last of my line and if we don’t destroy him first, I know he will kill me.”
            Mike was not slow to make the connection. “So…you’re telling me you’re a descendant of Van Helsing, and Harrington is—”
            I was about to reply when I saw a shadow move past the window.
            “That’s him,” I said. I knew he would come for me tonight, Samhain. All Hallows Eve. It was fitting.
            The door rattled. He must have been trying to force the latch. A slight pause, then the sound of something heavy striking the door.
            “He’s trying to break in,” I said, “Mike, please do something—”
            The old door finally surrendered, the panels splintering as with a mighty crash it fell inwards. The bulky figure of Harrington stood silhouetted in the framework where the door had been. I glanced at Mike. He lunged toward the old fireplace, and the basket of logs. He grabbed the wood axe and wielding it above his head, charged at Harrington and sliced his head from his shoulders. In another swift movement, he reached down for a long, sharp piece of timber from the ruined door and thrust it into Harrington’s heart.
            The headless body fell forward on top of the wreckage. Together we watched as the blood gushed from the wounds, then dried into a blackish red powder, the skin shriveled and fell away from the severed skull. The bones decomposed and soon all that remained was a pile of dust.
            Mike turned to me, a look of horror on his face, and I threw my arms around his neck.
            “It’s incredible, but you were right,” he whispered hoarsely. Did I really just kill…Dracula?
            “Well not quite,” I murmured. “The stake through the heart wasn’t absolutely necessary—” I ran my tongue over my lips as I pressed them in anticipation against his throat. “You see, the man you just destroyed was actually Van Helsing. Thank you for saving me, my love.”  I drew back a little before sinking my fangs into his neck and drinking deeply, Oh, it had been too long since I’d fed!
My strength is renewed, my heart content. At last I have avenged the death of my father, Count Dracula.            

THE END 

ABOUT THE BOOK: DANCING WITH FATE

My fantasy novella ‘Dancing With Fate’ was originally published by the Wild Rose Press, but I have taken back my rights and revised and republished it at Smashwords.

DANCING WITH FATE
When Terpsichore, the Greek Muse of Dance, is assigned to revisit 5th Century Wales, and help the people regain their love of dancing, her task seems simple enough. She is unaware there is a hidden agenda. Before she can return to Olympus her path crosses that of the mysterious Myrddin, and her heart is lost.

But Myrddin is promised to another. His mind is set on the dangerous task that lies before him, and the woman he has sworn to save. Nevertheless, he cannot deny the growing attraction between him and the beautiful stranger he meets along the way. Terpsichore and Myrddin face a deadly force that threatens to part them forever. She seems destined to lose the only man she has ever truly loved. Finally, when all seems lost, in desperation she finds herself DANCING WITH FATE.
READ REVIEWS HERE 
MORE DETAILS HERE 

About the Author:
Hywela Lyn lives in a small village in England, with her long suffering husband Dave,  although her
heart remains in her native rural Wales, which inspired so much of her writing.

Although most her writing tends to be fantasy or Science Fiction romance, the worlds she creates are usually untainted by crowded cities and technology, embracing the beauty and wildness of nature. Her characters often have to fight the elements and the terrain itself. Her heroes are strong and courageous, but chivalrous and honourable - and of course, handsome and hunky. Her heroines are also strong and courageous, but retain their femininity and charm. However difficult the journey, love
will always win in the end.

A keen animal lover, she has two horses, a rescued Jack Russell terrier and two 'feral  cats.
Her first novel, a futuristic romance and the ‘book of her heart’  Starquest,  released by the Wild Rose Press was followed by a sequel Children Of The Mist. Lyn is working on a third story in the series. (which has been a long time coming but she hopes to have it ready for submission by the end of the year.)

Details of all her books can be found on her website www.hywelalyn.co.uk or her blog www.hywelalyn.blogspot.com

Her Author Page at the Wild Rose Press is where you can download another of her fantasy short stories A Bargain With Death for free.

She is a member of The Romance Novelists' Association (UK)  and Chiltern Writers
***

21 comments:

Hywela Lyn said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Karen - thanks so much for the chance to take part in this great event and hosting me on your blog today.

Rosemary Gemmell said... Best Blogger Tips

Love it, Lyn - I wondered what the twist would be!

Jean MP said... Best Blogger Tips

Great story, was waiting to see how it ended, knew it wasn't going to be what was expected.
skpetal at hotmail dot com

Theresa Ryder said... Best Blogger Tips

Whoo-hoo, great bait and switch ending there! Poor Mike. Is he just dinner, or does she have other plans for him? Either way, we know it won't be good. . .for him anyway! ;)

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Hywela,

Thanks so much for joining the hop!

Loved your blood curdling story. :) Fantastic addition!

Hywela Lyn said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Rosemary, Jean, and Theresa, thanks so much for stopping by, glad you enjoyed my little tale, and thanks again to Karen for having me!

Christine Elaine Black said... Best Blogger Tips

Great post. Vampires are always in vogue but with the new t.v. series just out it's in back in full force. Yay!
Congrats!!
Christine Elaine :)

J Bur said... Best Blogger Tips

Enjoyed the story. Thanks for the giveaway!

felicia sidoma said... Best Blogger Tips

thank you. I am glad that i came across this hop as I have a new writer to follow. I am glad for the intro to you LYN I know that I will enjoy reading your books

Cara Marsi said... Best Blogger Tips

That gave me chills! Great story with a twist I didn't see.

Beautiful Disaster said... Best Blogger Tips

Wowzers, I really enjoyed your tale! Thanks for sharing :D
Happy Halloween!
Lori

Hywela Lyn said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Christine Elaine and J Bur, thanks for your kind comments, glad you enjoyed the story.

Hywela Lyn said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Felicia, thank you so much, I hope you will enjoy my books - and if you haven't done so already,, don't forget to visit the Wild Rose Press site where I have another free story.

Hywela Lyn said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Cara and Lori

Thank you for reading my story and your comments - so glad you enjoyed it - vampires are a bit outside my normal writing 'comfort zone' but it was great fun to write.

Katrina Gillian said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Hywela,

What a great story! Loved the ending. Didn't see it coming.

Your book Dancing with Fate sounds really good! Love the cover, too!

katrinagillian at yahoo dot com

bn100 said... Best Blogger Tips

Interesting twist

bn100candg at hotmail dot com

Celtic Chick said... Best Blogger Tips

Very cool. I loved the ending.
I really like the title and blurb for your book, too.

Kelley

Hywela Lyn said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks so much bn, Katrina and Kelley, so glad you enjoyed it - and like my cover, it was designed by the Miss Mae, who nor only designs great covers but is also herself a talented writer.

Margaret Mosier said... Best Blogger Tips

loved the ending. love your cover

Emily said... Best Blogger Tips

Loved the ending, didn't see that coming.

tiger-chick-1(at)hotmail(dot)com

Hywela Lyn said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Margaret and Emily, glad you liked my little 'sting in the tail', Yes, I love the cover too, and will pass your compliments on to Miss Mae, who designed it.

Thanks so much for reading and commenting.