Monday, August 5, 2013

Trying Something New @PatriciaKiyono @KMNbooks @AstraeaPress

KAREN: Multi-published author at Astraea Press, Patricia Kiyono took a chance and it paid off, putting her books in the Amazon top 100 Regency Romances. She's here today to tell her story.

Trying Something New
Patricia Kiyono
 Last Christmas Astraea Press, my publisher, put out a call for short romance stories set in London during the Regency Period. There were to be part of a special series called The Twelve Dukes of Christmas, and there were two stipulations: each story had to include a Duke as one of the main characters, and one of the scenes had to include a ball held at the home of Lord and Lady Kringle on Christmas Eve, 1812.

Though I enjoy writing historical romance, I'd never written a regency romance, and I wasn't sure I could do it. I've read lots of regencies, but writing one seemed quite daunting. After all, I'm from the wrong side of the pond, so to speak, and though I've visited England twice, I'm no expert. As Americans we're unfamiliar with the concept of a nobility class and correct forms of address for the different titles. Nevertheless, I accepted the challenge and came up with a story called The Partridge and the Peartree. It became my best selling book to date, putting me in the Amazon top 100 for Regency Romance.

I learned something from the experience. A good story transcends its setting. So many times I got bogged down, wondering how someone would say something to someone else and whether or not something would have happened in that time period. I nearly gave up several times, but a good friend told me to "Just write the story – you can fix the historical and cultural glitches, but you can't fix what you haven't written."

So this spring, when Astraea Press put out another call for summer regencies, I again accepted the challenge. This time I included my love of music and used that as the common interest bringing my hero and heroine together. A response to a plea on Facebook helped me choose the title Love's Refrain.

Here's the blurb:

Lady Laura Montgomery would much rather spend her summer at the family estate, but instead she must act as her stepsister's chaperone for the London season. She takes solace in her poetry books and in her love of music. They're all she has to comfort her as she once again faces the one man who stole her heart ten years ago.
 
Andrew Bradford, Earl of Covington, needs an heir, but he's not looking for love. His mother has made her selection, but he can't help being drawn to the girl's chaperone. Can he hope to make a match based on more than beauty and suitability?

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Love's Refrain is Patricia Kiyono's seventh release with Astraea Press. During her first career, she taught elementary music, computer classes, elementary classrooms, and junior high social studies.

She now teaches music education at the university level.

She lives in southwest Michigan with her husband, not far from her children and grandchildren. Current interests, aside from writing, include sewing, crocheting, scrapbooking, and music. A love of travel and an interest in faraway people inspires her to create stories about different cultures.

Love's Refrain can be purchased at Astraea Press, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and other ebook outlets.

Author links: Patricia Kiyono can be found at her website, blog, facebook, and twitter @PatriciaKiyono

8 comments:

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Patricia,

Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing your experience in penning your story.

So what do you have planned for the future?

Patricia Kiyono said... Best Blogger Tips

Thank YOU for having me here! I plan to keep writing, keep challenging myself. Right now I'm finishing a contemporary Christmas story, and then I'm working on a sequel to my historical novel The Samurai's Garden.

Anne Stenhouse said... Best Blogger Tips

Very interesting, Patricia. I'm also writing in the Regency-ish period and I love your friend's remark about not being able to fix something that isn't written. My next book from MuseItUp is set in Edinburgh, my home town. Boy, am I nervous... Anne

Jacqueline Seewald said... Best Blogger Tips

I love Regency romance, Patricia. There is something transcendent about the genre. I've written only one Regency novel and one short story in the genre but hope to write more as well. Congrats!

Linda Swift said... Best Blogger Tips

Very inspirational story.Thanks for sharing it. You have motivated me to think about trying my hand at the Regency I have always wanted to write. I wish you continued success with your books.
Linda Swift

Patricia Kiyono said... Best Blogger Tips

@Anne Stenhouse
Thanks, Anne. The friends I've made through writing are the best!
Edinburgh is one place I'd love to visit! My husband is a Scot and I think it would be wonderful to take my kids and grandkids there to learn a bit about their father's heritage.

Patricia Kiyono said... Best Blogger Tips

@Jacqueline Seewald
It was a challenge getting started, but I'm so glad I made the effort. Good luck with your future projects!

Patricia Kiyono said... Best Blogger Tips

@Linda Swift
I hope you go for it, Linda! You never know until you try.