Monday, August 26, 2013

The Writing World Has Changed @barbbradley @KMNbooks @phazeromance #Sci-fi

KAREN: Barbara Donlon Bradley pens 'out-of-this-world' romances for Phaze. Her tales have received five-star reviews at the Romance Studio and The Romance Reviews! Sci-fi and paranormal fans are sure to enjoy the fantastic worlds and memorable characters.  Let's give Barbara a warm welcome! She's here to chat about how the writing world has changed over the years.

BARBARA: The writing world has changed so much since I started writing back in the 90’s. I penned my first book when e-publishing was just coming a reality. A lot of writers embraced the idea, others thought it would never last.

Personally I was clueless. I wanted to be published one of the big houses. Who didn’t? To see your book in a bookstore? I wanted that thrill. You wouldn’t get that with electronic would you? The first books were on floppies – do you remember those? And you were anchored to your computer to read them. It wasn’t too long before the electronic publishers also released books in print. They were the large trade size and more expensive than the mass paperback but it was something you could hold.
Hmm, but I still wanted it in a bookstore. So I started to submit to the large houses. It didn’t take me long to figure out that my books didn’t fit what most of the big publishers wanted. I was writing paranormal when paranormal wasn’t popular. So I took a deep breath and submitted my book to an e-publisher. I could still have a hard copy and do book signings right?

I jumped for joy when they accepted my book and I’m happy to say that’s where I’ve been ever since. I’ve tried to sell to the big publishers here and there, but honestly I’m very happy with the e-pubs. They’ve been good for me. They don’t care about what is popular they just want a good book.

Now-a-days being e-published isn’t a bad thing. The conglomerate publishers are selling e-books. With all our electronic devices you don’t have to leave your home to find a good story. Don’t get me wrong I still love the touch and feel of a book, but now I can download it and if I love it then I can buy the printed version. I was always the one who babied my books – never broke the spine, etc – so now I can have my pristine book and reread the electronic version as many times as I want without destroying my copy. The best of both worlds.


Book 5 of the Vespian Way Hesitant Desire
Available at Phaze

Heather swore she’d never go back to Aruka after a mission had gone bad. The planet had an archaic view of women and Heather fought against those views, angering one man to the point of whipping her. Now Earth has requested she rescue a missing woman on that planet. She wants to say no, but Storm has already accepted for her, as long as he accompanies her. They hoped it would be a quick in and out assignment but didn’t expect to run into the man carrying such hatred for her all these years. Now they have to try to finish their mission while evading the man who’s only goal is to make Heather pay for her crimes.





About Barbara Donlon Bradley


Writing for Barbara Donlon Bradley  started innocently enough, like most she kept diaries, journals, and wrote an occasional letter but she also had a vivid imagination and wrote scenes and short stories adding characters to her favorite shows and comic books. As time went on she found the passion for writing to be a strong drive for her. Humor is also very strong in her life. No matter how hard she tries to write something deep and dark, it will never happen. That humor bleeds into her writing. Since she can’t beat it she has learned to use it to her advantage. Now she lives in Tidewater Virginia with two cats, one mother in law – she’s 85 now, her husband and teenage son.
 
YOU CAN FIND BARBARA ONLINE AT:
Links:


7 comments:

Barbara Donlon Bradley said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks so much for having me Karen!

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Barbara,

It is a pleasure to have you here today! Book covers are my thing. So I have to know. Is the book cover what you envisioned for your story?

Barbara Donlon Bradley said... Best Blogger Tips

You know it's hard to get exactly what you want - there is a scene in the book that I would have loved but using stock photos limits the publishers - I love this cover - I think it does fit the storyline.

Barb:)

Jacqueline Seewald said... Best Blogger Tips

It's a sexy cover, Barbara! Like you I see great changes in publishing. I'm still old-fashioned enough to want a publisher who will put out a print edition of my novels but I'm all for e-books as well. My thinking has changed along with the times.

Barbara Donlon Bradley said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Jacqueline,

Thanks for commenting! Wait till you see the next cover - I love all of the covers for this series.

There is something about the feel of a book in your hands. I think those of us who were raised with books are more sentimental than our children who were raised with the technology.

Barb:)

Paisley Kirkpatrick said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Barbara, I also am with a small e-publisher and I love being there. It seems like a family and everyone helps each other. I was lucky to get a five book contract after 'practicing' writing for 22 years. My third story is being released in October. :)

Nice meeting you today.

Barbara Donlon Bradley said... Best Blogger Tips

Congrats Paisley!

Barb:)