Monday, February 25, 2013

Importance of Good Reviews

Karen: Why are reviews important? Does it have to be a 5 star review to be a good review? The talented Rebecca Graf is here today to discuss the importance of a quality review vs stating "I liked it" or "I hated it". Let's give her a warm welcome. 

***Contest: You'll have a chance to win a Ebook or Print copy (winners choice) of Deep Connections by Rebecca Graf! Read on and find out how.




Importance of Good Reviews by Rebecca Graf

Good reviews are important. When I say ‘good’, I don’t mean five star or four star. I’m referring to the quality of the review. It needs to be done well. All authors deserve that as do all the readers of the review. Sadly, I’m seeing many reviews showing up that are nothing more than “I liked the book” or “It was horrible.” In fact, some of the reviews are nasty and personal in nature attacking the author.

Purpose
A book review is a detailed communication from the reader of the book to the author and to other potential readers. It is not just saying you like or dislike a book. Anyone can do that. But a book review tells others why or why you didn’t like the book.

“This book was a waste of my time.” Why? Was it not your style of writing? Was the writing bad? Were the characters flat? Tell me why you didn’t like the book because your reason might not matter to me and I’ll still buy the book. You might not like surprises in books, but I love them. Your review might be right on target for you, but explain it. Maybe you didn’t like it because it full of crude language. I’d avoid it then.

The purpose of a book review is to communicate in detail your response to the book.

Quality
A book review should be of good quality. Talk about the good and the bad. Don’t rate a book bad because you didn’t like the genre. Don’t rate the book bad because you thought it would be different then it was. A quality review will look at several aspects of the book:
·       
         Plot
·       Characters
·       Pace
·       Dialogue
·       Writing style
·       Praises and Warnings

Tell me as a potential reader the good and the bad of each of these. Explain why. Give examples. Don’t tell me to read or not read the book. Give me the information to make an informed decision. This is really important if I follow your reviews as we might have similar taste.

Becoming a book reader means you take on a responsibility to give constructive criticism, explain your feelings toward the book, and give a quality review.



Title: Deep Connections
Series: Connections Series #1
Author: Rebecca Graf
Genre: Paranormal, Romance, Suspense, Thriller, Mystery,
Publisher: Silver Tongue Press
Format: Ebook | Paperback
Length: 298 pages
Blurb: Just as love appears, so does the darkness. With her heart reaching out for one man, Brenna finds herself the target of an unknown stalker. Who is he? What does he want? How far will he go for her? Death is an option. Brenna discovers more than she bargained for and learns that the stalker will kill for her. It all comes down to decisions, and no matter what she chooses it will demand sacrifice and someone's blood.



Rebecca Graf lives in Milwaukee, Wisconsin with her husband and three children. She worked as an accountant for 20 years before taking the plunge and write online for various sites and companies. Now she runs a publishing company, Silver Tongue Press, and writes full time while trying to keep up with all the activities of her children.


****Contest: Enter below to win a Ebook or Print copy (winners choice) of Deep Connections by Rebecca Graf!
a Rafflecopter giveaway

8 comments:

Rebecca Graf said... Best Blogger Tips

Thank you for having me.

Liz Flaherty said... Best Blogger Tips

An interesting post. I'm always surprised when the number of stars (or cups, or ribbons, or whatever) seems to have nothing to do with the review.

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Rebecca,

Thank you so much for being a guest here at KMN Books. Interesting post!!

Anastasia Vitsky said... Best Blogger Tips

As an author, I find writing reviews frustrating. I feel obligated to give 5-star reviews to my colleagues, but I would rather give a detailed, honest review of what worked for me and why...and what didn't work. I think it's a shame when having "X number of 5-star reviews" becomes more important than thoughtful, well-supported opinions. After all, reviews are our opinions.

Maddy said... Best Blogger Tips

I'm not at that stage yet - but it seems we want the same thing from reviewers as from critique groups [my stage]. Say what you like and why, describe what needs improvement and make positive suggestions.

I always read the one star reviews first and most often they are brief and negative one liners which I can dismiss as just a poor match between writer and reader expectations.

Tom Rizzo said... Best Blogger Tips

Anastasia has an excellent point. So much emphasis seems to place on the number of stars, rather than the actual review.

Writing reviews can be tricky. But I believe the best review is one that states why you liked the story, the characters, the conflict.

I've always been dismayed to see these scathing one-star reviews from readers who get the book free. C'mon, does that make sense?

Katherine said... Best Blogger Tips

Good post. I always try to say why a book worked for me. Just saying I liked it or I didn't like it doesn't say much and I discount those reviews when checking out the reviews on an author I'm unfamiliar with.

Calisa Rhose said... Best Blogger Tips

Well said. I've heard others say it's the review quality that matters, but when they get a 3, though in depth and helpful to readers, they complain because it wasn't a five. I've been known to say I don't need a 5* review, but an honest one. If it's a 3 and informative, I'm happy. (I did get one like this, from someone I know, and it meant as much as any of the raving 5s-all of which I love!)
Thanks.