Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Melissa Fox and The Perfect Holiday or...Not

The contest is closed. The winner is: Sue B! Congratulations!!

KAREN: Melissa Fox is an author at the Wild Rose Press. Her enthralling debut paranormal romance, WRAITH REDEEMED hits the bookstores officially on Feb. 2013, but there's a way to purchase a copy tomorrow for free! ...And that's not all readers. There's a ***CONTEST: Read on and find out how you may win a $10 Amazon Gift Card. CONTEST ENDS: Dec. 5th at 12:01 AM PST. 

When Perfect Holiday Celebrations are Perfectly…Not 
By Melissa Fox

Holiday gatherings. The time of year loved ones, friends, and family get together to celebrate the joy of the season and those valued relationships. We all know events often don’t transpire exactly as we planned, but sometimes those are the memories we treasure most.

One of my favorite Christmas memories is one we spent at my grandparents’ when someone—who shall forever remain nameless—put peelings of over ten pounds of potatoes down the garbage disposal, despite my grandfather’s constant and repeated reminders not to do exactly that.

The disposal broke, of course, and the kitchen sink backed up, which was concern enough with sixteen people expecting to eat a veritable feast in less than an hour. My grandfather grabbed the plunger and went to town on that blocked drain, and I watched in fascination as he plunged and muttered curses, my gaze drifting down to see a waterfall pouring out the bottom of the cabinet and over his shiny black wingtips.

Chaos ensued.

With a burst pipe, the kitchen sink and dishwasher out of commission, and an entire meal about to be served, quick and creative thinking was required. The china, the crystal, the silverware were whisked away, and paper plates, plastic cups (with the Hamm’s beer logo, no less), and plastic spoons, forks, and knives replaced the settings on the table. The meal was served right from the stove. My grandparents were restaurant and pub owners, so presentation meant a lot to them, but I’ll never forget the year of the Christmas picnic and the pots-and-pans washing party in the laundry room afterward where everyone pitched in to help.

***CONTEST: Tell us your favorite memory of a holiday “disaster” and I’ll give away a $10 Amazon gift certificate to one commenter to help commiserate and celebrate the holidays! CONTEST ENDS DEC. 5TH AT 12:01 AM PST. Reminder: Don't forget to leave your email so we may contact you if you should win. Good luck!!

My debut paranormal romance, WRAITH REDEEMED, from The Wild Rose Press is due for official release in all formats on February 15, 2013. The Kindle version on Amazon is available right now, and will be FREE to download starting tomorrow, December 5th, for five days.
***Purchase link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009Y85JT6/ref=cm_sw_su_dp

BLURB:
Demon-slayer Conor O’Shea is about to engage in the most dangerous encounter of his life—facing the woman he scorned.

For years, Merry Bradbury's world revolved around Conor O'Shea. After his sudden betrayal leaves her alone and heartbroken, she comes home to settle her past and move into the future. The last person she expects to see is Conor.

Conor never wanted anything more than forever with Merry. Discovering he is a Wraith warrior, honor bound to fight demons, destroys that plan. Merry is his Amorta, his one true soul mate, but he leaves to keep her safe from the evil that stalks him.

Eight years later, Conor's worst fear is realized, and he returns to defend Merry from his enemies. Can he save her from an unspeakable fate and reclaim her heart? And if he does, will Merry be able to accept all that he is?

Enjoy an EXCERPT:

“I always knew you loved me, Conor.” Merry could barely hear her voice over the pounding of her heart. “I didn’t understand. I still don’t, not completely, but I knew. That’s why it hurt so much and why I could never forget. That’s why I had to come home.”

His free hand curled around her neck. She didn’t know if he intended to bring her closer or hold her in place. Her breath caught, and his expression changed to something she recognized, something that turned her breathlessness into searing pain. He pulled her up those last few inches and placed his mouth on hers.

Shock ripped through her the minute their lips touched. She gasped, rising to meet him with pent-up longing and frustration. After a brief, stunned moment, both his hands flew up to hold her face as she gripped his arms. She sighed in relief when his mouth opened over hers, the scorching heat making her head reel and her body want more. She accepted the touch of his tongue, pulled him in and welcomed him as she went blind with pleasure. The compulsion to keep taking and never stop overwhelmed her senses. His taste flooded her soul.

He felt so good.

Merry fought against the desire to ravish more than his mouth, to hold on to reason and keep the contact to just kisses. She had never expected to hold him close again, to be immersed in his heat and scent. Their unique connection proved just as strong as she remembered, and she savored the moment until she had to pull from his embrace or succumb to the temptation of his hovering mouth.

“Conor—” The look on his face gave her a hot thrill of excitement. “Conor.”

About the Author:

An avid reader of any and all genres since she could turn a page, Melissa remembers being rationed Hardy Boys and Black Stallion novels like most kids were rationed candy. Getting lost in a captivating, exhilarating story is her favorite way to spend time, whether reading or writing. Nothing is better than being drawn into a story so deeply you don't realize you're turning a page until you've reached the end, and the characters live on in your heart and mind long after the cover has been closed.
 
You can find Melissa Fox at:
Website
Twitter
Facebook

29 comments:

Melissa Fox said... Best Blogger Tips

Thank you, Karen, for having me on your blog today and allowing me to reminisce about one of many oh-so-memorable holidays!

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Melissa,

I'm so glad to have you here!

Shannon Ro said... Best Blogger Tips

My most memorable holiday disaster was our first christmas as a married couple. We must have not secured our tree well enough because it toppled over during the night. Lesson learned, put it up then wait 24 hours before decorating to make sure it isn't going to fall

fencingromein at hotmail dot com

Melissa Fox said... Best Blogger Tips

@Shannon Ro

Hi Shannon!

I've never had a tree fall after it was decorated, as my husband takes securing things very, very seriously, like bomb-shelter serious. I have, however, let one (or maybe two) fall on him while he stretched out on the floor tightening the screws in the tree stand when I was supposed to be holding it steady!

Thanks for stopping by.

Vonnie Davis said... Best Blogger Tips

The memory my grown children drag out and laugh about is the year Mom (me) only put half their presents under the tree because she (me) forgot where she'd hidden them. We went on a scavenger hunt and the youngest found the treasure trove under an old quilt in the attic.

Donna Michaels said... Best Blogger Tips

Great post, Melissa!

My most memorable holiday disaster was actually one no one could avoid or fix.

Every year, we host around 15 people at our house for both lunch and then dinner, but a few years back...Mother Nature didn't get the memo because she dumped over a foot of snow Christmas morning. Luckily, the holiday had fallen on a weekend, so we were able to delay it until the next day.

katsrus said... Best Blogger Tips
This comment has been removed by the author.
katsrus said... Best Blogger Tips

Mine is the when my daughter and her husband came over for Christmas dinner. I forgot about the bagged gizzards in the turkey. And they went to grab a piece of meat and got the bag of gizzards instead. Was so embarrassed. LOL. Your book sounds really good. Thanks for the giveaway.
Sue B
katsrus(at)gmail(dot)com

Melissa Fox said... Best Blogger Tips

@Vonnie Davis

That's like an Easter egg hunt and Christmas all rolled into one! Could be a fun tradition, although the thought of little present-seeking maniacs tearing the house apart...hm.

Thanks, Vonnie - great memory!

Melissa Fox said... Best Blogger Tips

@Donna Michaels

Oh, yes, Mother Nature at Christmas! Growing up, my family lived in Michigan and my grandparents in Iowa. I recall my dad making a number of white-knuckle drives back and forth in late November and/or December.

Thanks for sharing, Donna!

Calisa Rhose said... Best Blogger Tips

Great first ever guest post, Melissa. You rock!

Memories... Every year for as long as I can remember we kids would give our dad a gag gift just from us. One year when I was ten we wrapped one of Mom's rather large (huge) bras and gave it to Dad. We kids still have the picture my mom took of him wearing the bra...on his head. "Best earmuffs I've ever owned!"

Melissa Fox said... Best Blogger Tips

@katsrus

I can see how easy that would be to do, though! Thankfully, my husband is in charge of the bird. He is a deep-fried turkey fanatic, which I have to admit is much easier. Forty-five minutes, and it comes out perfect and delicious every time. I can't imagine forgetting the gizzard bag in the deep fryer. That will be one memory I hope I never have!

Thans, Sue!

Jerrie Alexander said... Best Blogger Tips

Melissa, great post. Thanks for sharing your memory with us. Not a lot of disasters to share, our tiny family get togethers are usually peaceful. Thank goodness.

Melissa Fox said... Best Blogger Tips

@Calisa Rhose

Thanks Calisa :)

Your story made me laugh out loud - the mental image! Sounds like your dad was a good sport.

My grandma used to send gag gifts my sister and I always called our loser presents, like a pad of paper or knee-high pantyhose, just so my mom could get a photo of our faces when we opened them.

Melissa Fox said... Best Blogger Tips

@Jerrie Alexander

Yes, thank goodness!

Our holidays were usually calm and peaceful when it was just the four of us, but when family got added to the mix, things often got a little exciting. After I got married even more so, as my husband's mother is the oldest of eight in a crazy-fun Irish clan. We live across the country now, so we don't get to see everyone as often as we'd like. :(

Thanks for stopping by, Jerrie!

LisaRayns said... Best Blogger Tips

I hope you don't have to have a picnic this year:) Great post.
lisarayns at gmail dot com

Melissa Fox said... Best Blogger Tips

@LisaRayns

Thanks Lisa - I really appreciate your support!

Hopefully no picnic this year, although we are planning on having a house full of family and friends for Christmas, and the kitchen in this house is soooo tiny. Everyone knows to keep the bar well-stocked, though, so it will be a blast.

Liz Flaherty said... Best Blogger Tips

LOL. I loved that Christmas "event." I'll bet your whole family tells the story! Congratulations on your release. Great post.

bn100 said... Best Blogger Tips

unpacking the Christmas decorations to find out that half of them were broken and half the lights in the strand were out; we ended up decorating the tree with the items that weren't broken and the strand of lights

The tree looks different.

bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

Melissa Fox said... Best Blogger Tips

@Liz Flaherty

Hi Liz! Thank you.

Yes, we still tell that story to this day. I have such a vivid picture in my head of my grandpa's back as he plunged the heck out of that drain, and then champagne and ginger ale bubbling up in the plastic glasses, the Hamm's beer logo adding a unique and festive touch. I'm not even sure if they're still brewing Hamms. That was a long time ago!

Melissa Fox said... Best Blogger Tips

@bn100

We moved last summer, and when we opened the Christmas decoration box a year ago, we found some ornaments had finally broken after all the moves we'd put them through over the years. They were just the really old, cheap glass ball ornaments, but we'd had them since before we were married. Sad to see them go.

Thanks for sharing your story!

Katrina Gillian said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Melissa,

Your books sounds really good. I do love paranormal books.

A Christmas disaster? I don't really have one other than when we brought home our dog from the pound, he decided to play with my mom's homemade snowman. It was such a mess, stuffing and everything everywhere. lol But we couldn't be angry when he looked at us with his big brown eyes. :)

katrinagillian(at) yahoo (dot) com

Hywela Lyn said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Melissa

I love the sound of your book - congratulations! I can't remember a really disasterous Christmas, although one year we had gone to feed our two horses (Kept some distance away from where we live unfortunately) and when we got home we both ended up in bed, not able to face Christmas dinner. My husband and I had both come down with flu!

Ilona Fridl said... Best Blogger Tips

Melissa, everyone needs a memory that you can look back on and laugh, even though it wasn't funny at the time. I remember one year at my sister-in-law's house, when the dogs got up on the dessert table and had a feast of the cake. I wish you every good luck on your release!

Melissa Fox said... Best Blogger Tips

@Katrina Gillian

Hi Katrina!

I can imagine the mess! Our dogs LOVE to tear things apart, which is why they don't get any stuffed animal toys anymore. That could be another entire series of blog posts - dog disasters! They're lucky it is so hard to stay angry at them!

Melissa Fox said... Best Blogger Tips

@Hywela Lyn

Thank you, Hywela!

Ugh, being sick on the holidays is miserable, no matter if you have company or not. At least you got the horses fed, if not yourselves!

Melissa Fox said... Best Blogger Tips

@Ilona Fridl

Thank you for the well wishes and stopping by, Ilona!

Yes, dog disasters really could make months worth of blog posts. Our guys are big, smart, and extremely food motivated, so my husband and I have had to become smarter and more motivated over the years. Training each other is something both humans and dogs in our house do well.

Melissa Fox said... Best Blogger Tips

Thank you all for stopping by and making my first attempt at guest posting so much fun! Thank you Karen for giving me the opportunity.

The randomly selected winner (by tried and true method of pulling names on slips of paper from a bowl) is Sue B (katsrus).

Thanks again, ladies!

Celia Yeary said... Best Blogger Tips

Yikes--potato peelings are the worst thing to put down a garbage disposal.
I enjoyed your excerpt--much luck with sales!

Although not totally disastrous, in 1952, my big sister would marry on Christmas Day at 11:00--in our family home living room. Besides us five, only about 20 other people would be there. That meant getting up super early to open gifts, and Daddy was having a fit for us to hurry because he had to move furniture and add a table, and he wanted the area around the big Christmas tree cleared. We all sat down to have a quick Christmas breakfast, when we heard a crash and tinkle of breaking glass. The big tree had fallen over into the middle of the living room floor. Well, you can imagine the scene from here.
Love your topic--it was fun.