Sunday, December 16, 2012

DOWNSIZING—THE TIME HAS COME BY CHERYL PIERSON

KAREN: Cheryl Pierson's a multi-published and award-winning author of historical, western and paranormal tales that come straight from the heart. She's here to share her new holiday tradition.

***CONTEST: Cheryl is giving away a digital copy of her book, A HERO FOR CHRISTMAS to one lucky commenter. Read on to find out how you may add this book to your stocking.

DOWNSIZING—THE TIME HAS COME BY CHERYL PIERSON
Hi everyone. Well, I decided this is the year I’m going to downsize my tree. I have a beautiful artificial tree in the attic that takes three people to get down and carry down the stairs. That’s the first problem. The second one is, I’m not getting any younger, so it takes me a couple of days to get it decorated to my liking rather than the one day I used to be able to do it in. This is my new tradition, starting this year—downsizing. 
But I couldn’t decide what to do. I had two smaller trees from years’ past—a “regular” one that’s about  five feet tall rather than the seven-and-a-half foot one I’ve put up for that last several years, and I have this little reindeer tree that was easy to decorate—but it had no lights, and I must have lights. So, I ended up with two trees—still easier than the one giant one. 
Like so many of you, I have grown children who aren’t quite settled enough yet to be able to give them their keepsake Christmas ornaments with a clear conscience, so I have more ornaments than I know what to do with—especially with this smaller tree. But that’s what I wanted for this year—smaller. Not so much. Maybe next year will be different, but for this Christmas, this feels just right. 
In my western/Civil War short story anthology A HERO FOR CHRISTMAS, one of the stories, A NIGHT FOR MIRACLES, revolves around a miracle on Christmas Eve. Nick Dalton, a wounded fast gun with a reputation, seeks shelter from a blizzard with three children at Angela Bentley’s cabin. Three children start their own Christmas tradition that night with a small tree that night, and Nick and Angela realize that Christmas really is A NIGHT FOR MIRACLES. The other short stories in this anthology are: SCARLET RIBBONS, MEANT TO BE, and HOMECOMING.

***CONTEST: I'm giving away a digital copy of my book, A HERO FOR CHRISTMAS to one lucky commenter. All you need to do is answer this questions: Do you have more ornaments than you know what to do with? What are some of your favorite ornaments?

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Cheryl

Blurbs for A Hero for Christmas: 

~ A four-story Western collection

A Night for Miracles ~Widow Angela Bentley takes in injured Nick Dalton and three orphans on Christmas Eve. Angela determines to keep her distance – until the children drag in a scraggly Christmas tree.
 

Homecoming ~ A holiday skirmish sends Union officer, Jack Durham, on an unlikely mission for a dying Confederate enemy. Will a miracle be able to heal his heart and reunite him with his beloved?


Meant to Be ~ Robin Mallory is shocked when she is tackled by a man in a Confederate uniform. A flat tire and a coming snowstorm have stranded her in the middle of a re-enactment – or is it?

Scarlet Ribbons ~ Persuaded by a vendor, Miguel Rivera ~ El Diablo ~ makes a foolish purchase—scarlet ribbons. Will they, and a mysterious meeting, set him on a new path?

Purchase A Hero for Christmas at Amazon.

You can find Cheryl at:
Cheryl's Amazon Page

Blog

19 comments:

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Cheryl,

I'm thrilled to have you here for the holidays!

I've done a little downsizing myself. No more little ones so I've cut down on the decorations.

Favorite ornaments? I have quite a few. The sparkly white spider with its spider web is one of my favorites. There's a legend and Cera duBois actually talked about it in her post. So if you didn't have a chance yet to check it out...The link is on the sidebar. It's really a a neat legend.

Also..
Every year my boss' wife buys the employees a Christmas ornament. They are always shiny and beautiful and probably way too expensive. lol I love them. And since I've worked there for 27 years, I have quite a few now. lol.

Cheryl,
What are some of your favorites?

Readers,
Do Tell...

Cheryl Pierson said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Karen,
Thanks so much for having me! I have to confess, I'm still hanging ornaments on that poor little tree. LOL Some of my favorite ones are the ones my kids made in school. I've bought my kids an ornament every year--I think this is the first year I haven't done it. They were usually not very expensive ones, but something that would have meaning to them. One year, I splurged, when they were still little--probably about 5 and 8, and bought a beautiful hand-blown glass ornament for each fo them. These are just alike and are HUGE. LOL But they were so beautiful == they're blue and have Santa with his pack on them in other colors, and a reindeer. At the time, they were so expensive--like 7.97, I think, and I got them at WAL MART, but that was a lot of money to us in those days! LOL I think my all time favorite ornament is a glass pine cone. It's one I remember from my earliest childhood that my parents had before I was born. Your collection of ornaments from work sounds just gorgeous, and I think the spider one is very interesting--I've read that legend before but I need to refresh my memory.

Let's hear from some readers--new traditions? Downsizing? Favorite ornaments?

Sarah J. McNeal said... Best Blogger Tips

I have a two foot tree that, no kidding, I put keepsake minature ornaments on. It also has lights cause I'm like you--not doing without them. I even found minature bubble lights for it years ago. I tried to get more of them, but I can't find them now. It has everything a big tree has, including the sentamental, but it's small. Every year I just get it out and plug it in (I put it away with the ornaments on it in a plastic bag.
From my years of having a huge tree with all kinds of lovely ornaments, some even made by me and my nieces and nephews, I have a great collection to give to the next generation and, hopfully, they'll pass them down the generations.
Downsizing is good sometimes. Enjoy your new tree.
I love everything you write, but I especially love your Christmas stories.
All the best to you, Cheryl. Have a wonderful Christmas.

katsrus said... Best Blogger Tips

I have way too many ornaments. I collect cat ones for many years so I have a lot. I could probably get them all on but; then I would have to take them all back off at the end. LOL. Love your book cover.
Sue B
katsrus(at)gmail(dot)com

Cheryl Pierson said... Best Blogger Tips

Sarah, that's exactly what I wanted to do-- a table top tree. Of course, everyone complained, but no one wants to help decorate or un-decorate. LOL I love ornaments so much. It sounds like you have a great collection, and am fascinated by those bubble lights. My sister used to have some of those.

Thanks so much for your very kind words, Sarah. I appreciate you, my dear friend.

Hugs,
Cheryl

Cheryl Pierson said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Sue!
I never started collecting a certain kind, but I do have a few of those Kliban (sp?) cat ornaments I got when the kids were little. Thanks so much for the compliment--my book cover was done by none other than our hostess, Karen M. Nutt! She does some fantastic covers, and has done just about all of mine.
Cheryl

bn100 said... Best Blogger Tips

Have a lot of ornaments. Don't have any favorite ones.

bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

Linda Swift said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Cheryl, I'm glad you are down-sizing. It will simplify your life and make the holdays more enjoyable. I have given away a lot of ornaments and still have too many. We have to have a tabletop tree here in our FL condo but I have a lovely table skirt of white and gold for it. My favorite ornaments are the ones I bought when living in England. I have not seen any like them. Some are white velvet bows with sprigs of artificial pine and holly at the knots and some are round medallions with raised angels on them. Hard to describe them. Your Christmas anthology sounds lovely. I love anything related to the Civil War.

Celia Yeary said... Best Blogger Tips

Ahh, Cheryl--you have the sweetest, most emotional stories. I love them. I've bought Kane's Promise, and while Amazon got it to my BRAND NEW KINDLE HD!, they have not sent the message that I actually bought it. Hey!Maybe they gave it to me free!!
Downsizing a tree- Been there, done that. Now? No Tree.
I love our Chrismon tree in the sanctuary of tiny white lights and the silvery-white handmade ornaments. Just beautiful. That makes Christmas for me. We have no little ones close enough to come here, but our "little" ones...the oldest 15 and has bought clothing in the men's department for TWO YEARS--have their tree at home in Michigan. I will get a photo, I'm sure.I always have.
Wonderful piece, my sweet friend.

Cathy said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Cheryl and Karen,

I've done some downsizing too since the kids are older now. It's too difficult to drag everything out and put it all away again. And my grandchildren live out of state. I'm basically decorating for myself. A Christmas Tree, stockings and few Christmas items in the living room are fine by me.

cnickol (at) verizon (dot) net

Cheryl Pierson said... Best Blogger Tips

bn100,
I have a ton of ornaments and that's another thing I'm going to downsize this year, even if it means putting the ones I don't use so much all together so I don't have to drag that box out and sift through them year after year. LOL Thanks for coming by.
Cheryl

Cheryl Pierson said... Best Blogger Tips

Linda, those ornaments sound just beautiful. I have to say, I find it really hard to part with anything that has to do with Christmas. I have several really old ornaments that came from my mom and dad's trees that have such special memories--they're not gorgeous or anything, but they're so special to me. One year, the Christmas I was 1 1/2, my dad bought some plastic ornaments that were bells and lanterns so I could hang them on the tree. I still have a couple of those, the worse for wear, but I still hang them. Thanks so much for that nice compliment. I truly enjoyed writing these short stories so much, and Karen did a fantastic job on the cover--she also did all my covers for the single sell .99 versions of these stories. They're all wonderful.
Cheryl

Cheryl Pierson said... Best Blogger Tips

Celia, thank you so much, my dear friend. I'm writing like the dickens to try to get Kane's DEstiny finished. I don't think I'll make it by the end of the year. But that'll be the first thing I do in 2013! LOL That would be an easy resolution--I should resolve to do it and then I could say that is the first resolution I've ever kept. LOL What is Chrismon? I saw that in your e-mail about Lily. I've never heard that before. I hope your grandsons have a wonderful Christmas--I know you'll enjoy getting pictures of them and the tree!
Love,
Cheryl

Cheryl Pierson said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Cathy,
My kids are 23 and 26 but live nearby, so we'll all get together. When I mentioned not having a tree, everyone moaned. But who put them up? ME. I know who'll be taking them down, too! LOL But they're small at least. Thanks for coming by!
Cheryl

LK Hunsaker said... Best Blogger Tips

It's not always size that matters. ;-)

When my daughter moved out, she took a few of her keepsake ornaments but the rest are still here. I'm glad to have some of them here during this transition phase. Eventually she'll want them all more than she does now with her little starter tree. :-)

desitheblonde said... Best Blogger Tips

with the other tree i did i re gift it to someone but for got to give them hook for the ornament and i got 6 t one nw it has alot of ornament on it and i will be making more next year i have about 200 on it now and they are mostly bears and then the friends that give me them

Cheryl Pierson said... Best Blogger Tips

Loraine, Iknow what you mean. Jessica has to decorate so much for work at their office that she doesn't even set up a tree at her apt. Casey...well, he's a guy rooming with 2 other guys. Nope. Can't give him his ornaments yet. Jessica's place is so small she wouldn't have anywhere to store them. I'm putting several of them on our tree again this year--one of these days, they'll take them and I sure will miss seeing them. LOL
Cheryl

Cheryl Pierson said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Desi,
I really love bear ornaments. I bought my kids a set of bear ornments many years ago. There are two of them and they're really heavy. One is sliding down an icicle and one is sitting on top of an icicle--they are so cute!
Cheryl

Cheryl Pierson said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi everyone! I drew a name out of the big ol' Stetson, and it was....

CATHY!!!!!

Congratulations, Cathy, I will be sending you your prize soon!
Merry Christmas!