Monday, December 3, 2012

Cera duBois and the legend of the Christmas Spider

The Contest is now closed. The winner is: Barbara Edwards! Congratulations!!

KAREN: Cera duBois is a multi- published author with The Wild Rose Press. Her paranormal tales are sure to keep you on the edge of your seat. Good vs. evil, but in the end love prevails! She's her today to share the interesting legend of the Christmas Spider. 

***Giveaway: Cera's also offering a gift to one lucky commenter: Winner's choice of a custom made Christmas Spider designed by Cera. Or a copy of her latest book, A Hunter’s Blade.  


The Christmas Spider by Cera duBois

About twenty years ago a coworker at the time gave me an unusual gift.  A gold and crystal spider. The thing was actually very pretty. Judy had made them for all of us in the office. But I was totally confused.


Spiders as Christmas ornaments? I thought they were only fashionable at Halloween.

Then she told me about the beautiful German tradition:

There was a poor home in a tiny German town. The family had no money and would lose their home if they didn’t find a way to make some money to pay their debts, but they planned to celebrate Christmas. On Christmas Eve as the house received a thorough cleaning before decorating the tree, all the spiders scurried into the attic to avoid being swept away. After everyone went to bed, they crept back down stairs and were amazed by the massive pine tree standing in the middle of the small room. Homemade decorations filled the branches but it was missing something.

Excided to provide the missing element, they climbed the trunk and began jumping from branch to branch, leaving behind a covering of web. They were so pleased with themselves they didn’t hear the arrival of Weihnachtsmann—Father Christmas.

The tree was covered with dull gray webs. The spiders were so happy about their contribution to the family tree Father Christmas didn’t have the heart to chastise them. But he couldn’t let the family who had so little see what had happened to their lovely tree. So, he decided to enhance the spiders’ gift.

He turned the webs into strands of gold and silver. The spiders thanked Father Christmas because now the family would have enough money to remain in their home.

The next morning the family awoke to a true miracle. They were able to remain in their home and had enough money to live comfortably for the rest of their lives.

There are actually two traditions we celebrate from this story. The better known custom of hanging tinsel as a representation of the transformed webs. And the belief of hanging a Christmas Spider in a place of honor on your tree to bring you good fortune in the New Year.

My Christmas Spider has been hung in the same spot every year ever since Judy gave it to me…right below the angel and right in front where everyone can see it. And hopefully I’ll be blessed in this coming year as I have been since I first placed the spider on my tree.

Happy Holidays, everyone!

~*~*~*~

{Photo Credits: Spider Photo—freedigitalphotos.net Christmas Tree and Christmas Spider: Sara Walter Ellwood}

****Giveaway:

One lucky poster will receive a custom made Christmas Spider designed by me. Or if you would prefer, you can have a copy of my latest book A Hunter’s Blade.  (Sorry, Christmas Spider is only available to US and Canada residents)


Specify in your comment which one you would like and please leave your email address.

~*~*~*~

A Hunter’s Blade, Book 2 of The Hunter’s Dagger Series

Blurb:

Brigit Wolfe, a born werewolf, hasn’t killed a human in over a hundred years, although now, she wonders if the animal attacking people in Silver Creek, Colorado, isn’t her. But she might have bigger problems when her cowboy neighbor, Austin Calhoun, ambles into her bar. Austin hasn’t been a vampire for long, but he is determined to prove to himself that he’s worthy of his hunter’s dagger. Brigit’s rare beauty and blade-sharp tongue enchants him. She ignites a passion he thought was dead, but is she the killer his master sent him to destroy? During Austin’s investigation regarding Brigit’s involvement in the deaths, an old crime surfaces connected to her human best friend. These two immortal enemies have to join forces to solve the mystery before someone else dies. But can they survive the heat of their own desire?

Excerpt:

“Why don’t you enlighten me?”

She glowered at him for several moments. Then she closed her eyes and spoke in a language he didn’t understand. Before he knew it, a fire sparked to life in the old stone hearth across the room. A second later, he flew out of his chair and shoved hard against the edge of the bar behind him.

He struggled against the invisible restrains, but she’d taken him completely off guard. He was powerless to break free.

Standing, she kicked the chair to the side and stalked toward him. She could kill him right here and now, but...holy hell, she was damned sexy.

She stopped in front of him and growled, “Let’s get something established about werewolves. There are two kinds. The lesser wolves who are made. And the Lykan who are born. I’m not one of the degenerates. I was born a Lykan in 1647. The first child of Valeriu and Elena. I’m an alpha and you are nothing more than a fledgling just hatched.”

He broke free of her power by drawing on his own. When he moved toward her, Austin held his hands to his side, ready to grab the special knife he had sheathed inside his jacket. His fangs had long ago descended ready for a fight. “I don’t really give a flying fuck whether you were made, born, or hatched.”

When the energy of her power touched him again, he pulled the knife, and the silver blade caught the dim light of the fire in the hearth when he opened the long switchblade. “I want to know if you’re the one preying on these people.”

Her eyes widened and she backed up a step as he approached. “I told you I didn’t attack those humans. I haven’t killed a mortal in over a hundred years. How many innocents have you snacked on tonight? How many of them did you want to kill?”

“I don’t hurt my prey,” he said through clenched teeth and held her icy gaze. He’d never let her know battling the beast within every feeding was the hardest thing he’d ever done.

After forcing himself to take a deep breath, he lowered the knife and released some of the tension zinging through his body. “If you didn’t kill those people then you have nothing to worry about. Best way to figure out who did is by working together.” He put the silver blade away, and his fangs retracted.

“What do you have planned?”

He didn’t miss the slight quiver in her voice. He should finish all this right here and now so he could get back to Ireland and whatever life he’d scraped together, but something needled him into doing a thorough investigation.

“We begin with you telling me everything you remember from those nights you became the big, bad wolf.”

Available now at Amazon and everywhere January 2, 2013.

~*~*~*~

Bio:
Cera duBois has a strong belief in never giving up on your dreams…

Although Cera was unable to read due to dyslexia and a learning disability until she was in the fourth grade, she always had a story to tell. She wrote her first novel in eleventh grade when she had to keep a journal for her academic English class. Since her life was far from exciting growing up as a farm girl in West Central Pennsylvania, she decided to rely on her imagination to give her something to write about. Over the course of the school year, she wrote a tangled romance set in the Deep South during the Civil War.  Becoming an author was her ultimate dream. Despite holding a BS in secondary social studies education from Penn State University, she currently works full-time as a medical secretary. A mother of a teenage son and pre-teen daughter, she lives near Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, with her husband of nearly 20 years. If she isn’t sitting in a quiet corner with her laptop, warm days will find her in the English garden surrounding her house. Cera loves to read and is interested in history, romance, science fiction and the paranormal. She also writes contemporary Westerns under her real name of Sara Walter Ellwood.

Website Links:

17 comments:

Sara Walter Ellwood / Cera duBois said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks Karen, for having me today!!

LisaRayns said... Best Blogger Tips

Well, I despise spiders but if it's fake and promises good fortune, (I need that) I might put one on my tree. hehe. Great post!

ellaquinnauthor said... Best Blogger Tips

Great post. I lived in Germany for years and never heard the story before. Though you do see spider decorations. I'm glad to know where tinsel came from.

Barbara Edwards said... Best Blogger Tips

I've never heard that story of the spider. I love it. I'd love to win the spider. Thanks for sharing.
Barbara.edwards2@yahoo.com

christine warner said... Best Blogger Tips

Love that story...I've never heard it before.

Thanks for sharing it, I can now look at spider's with a new respect!

P.L. Parker said... Best Blogger Tips

What a cool story - enjoyed it!

Jan said... Best Blogger Tips

I would be Thrilled with either, but books are harder to come by than spiders on my mountain, But I will be making a spider ornament for my tree this year!
Thanks!

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Sara/Cera,

Thanks so much for being a guest here today. I loved your post and the legend of the spider.

I have a beautiful spider ornament that I put on the tree every year. It's white and sparkly. Though I don't like 'real' spiders, I really liked the legend and my ornament. :)

Katrina Gillian said... Best Blogger Tips

Hello Cera,

I love paranormal stories. I've heard about the legend of the spider, but I had forgotten about it. Interesting post. :)

I'd love your book or the ornament, both are wonderful. :)

katrinagillian(at)yahoo(dot)com

Cait OSullivan said... Best Blogger Tips

AW I love hearing new Christmas stories and that's a really cute one, thanks :). WOuld love a copy of A Hunter's Blade in my stocking this year caitosullivan(at)ymail(dot)com it sounds so very good!

D'Ann said... Best Blogger Tips

cAh, I'm all teary eyes.

Melissa Fox said... Best Blogger Tips

Lovely Christmas legend, and so fun to hear the story behind tinsel on the tree. I've got A Hunter's Blade in my TBR queue and am really looking forward to reading.

Sara Walter Ellwood / Cera duBois said... Best Blogger Tips

Lisa--- I don't like spiders either, but I love this legend...

Ella--- I never heard of it either and I'm part German!!

Barbara--- I'm glad you liked the story and would love a spider!

Chistine--- Not many people have heard of it, but just about everyone puts tinsle on their trees.

PL--- Thanks!

Jan--- LOL... I have tons of spiders too.

Karen--- I'm so glad to be here and I'm thrilled that I've shared something new. And I love my glittery spider too!

Katrina--- I'm discovering you are among the minority regarding hearing about the Christmas spider.

Cate--- I'm glad you found it cute. I do too.

D'Ann--- I know, isn't it a heartwarming story?

Melissa--- Thanks for downloading AHB... I hope you enjoy it.

Thank you everyone for stopping by!!!



katsrus said... Best Blogger Tips

That was so neat. I never heard that before. Would love to win the spider ornament. Your book sounds very good. Thank you for the giveaway.
Sue B
katsrus(at)gmail(dot)com

bn100 said... Best Blogger Tips

Nice cover and excerpt. Would like the spider.

bn100candg(at)Hotmail(dot)com

Mary Frances Roya said... Best Blogger Tips

What a great story. I had never heard it before. My Halloween theme is spiders. So why not have one for Christmas. Love it. I already have both books. So I would love the spider ornament, if I win. roya-clan@sbcglobal.net

Sara Walter Ellwood / Cera duBois said... Best Blogger Tips

Thank you everyone for coming by!!!

The winner of the Christmas spider is Barbara Edwards!!!!

I'll be contacting you shortly!