Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Wicked Haunt-o-ween with Terry Spear and Her Haunted House

CONTEST IS CLOSED. THE WINNER IS CATHY N. Congratulations!!
KAREN: I'm thrilled to introduce USA Today bestselling author, Terry Spear.  Her urban fantasies and medieval romantic suspense tales are to die for, but she also writes true stories and young adult tales, too. Today, Terry is sharing a true life ghost story. So grab your loved ones and settle in for a hauntingly good tale.

***CONTEST: Terry is giving away a Print copy of her latest shifter story, SAVAGE HUNGER, to one lucky commenter.(USA Only) Read on to find out how you may add this book to your goody bag.  CONTEST ENDS OCT. 16TH at midnight PST.

When Things Go Bump in the Night
By Terry Spear

I LOVED reading ghost stories when I was a kid. Loved Ghost Busters, Casper, but they were all fantasy! Fun fantasy.

Then it happened. The first time I “witnessed” a ghost, it was in the Palo Duro Canyon, Texas, but I’ve discussed this on another Halloween blog, so then the next time I had a “sighting” was at my home in Texas.

No one died there, that I know of. The previous owners had the place a short while, minister and wife and three kids. They sold the place to me. Before this, the only other couple who had owned the house had divorced and they sold the house to the minister.

Now, I kept receiving IRS statements saying that the guy owed them money, I suspect. The IRS had the mail sent registered, or certified, or whatever and you had to sign for it. I warned my kids: DON’T sign for anything from the IRS, period! I could just see them coming to get me because I was in collusion for hiding the guy who owned the house way before me.

My son was at college and my daughter was taking over his apartment soon, so it was time to sell out and move in with my mother.

You might have heard—if you read ghostly stuff or watch shows about ghosts—that changing a house’s interior or disturbing the ground around it can disturb the status quo.
So, first off, I wanted to paint all the rooms. My son and daughter both had been young when we moved into the house and had posters tacked up on every inch of wall. That meant taking everything down, patching up the billions of pin prick holes, and painting. My son’s room was first because he’d already moved out to college.

Everything was fine. The room was empty except for a queen size bed pulled away from the wall. All the pin pricks were patched up. Nothing on the walls but the white stuff that filled all the holes. Since the walls had been freshly painted before we moved in—previous owners had “sold” the house to another couple after they had moved out and painted everything, other couple failed to get the money together and we bought—and since my son had covered all the walls with his pictures and posters, everything was really clean. Except for the white in all the pin prick holes.

Oh, sure, he’d spilled Coke on the rug and baseboard and windowsill, that I hadn’t known about. But otherwise, all white walls.

Until I began to paint over them with white paint.

And then the ghostly stuff began to happen.

After painting all the walls, a BIG letter C appeared. Huge. About a foot tall, thick letter, in white. But it was a different shade of white, so it was really vivid. Now, I’m not the only one who saw this huge C on the wall. My son, daughter and mother saw it, too.

I’m not a ghost believer in that I want to make ghostly stuff out of what is not—so of course my first reaction is to rationalize. Okay, there was absolutely no rational explanation. The next is to make it disappear. It’s not a ghostly thing—it’s just there, shouldn’t be, but I’m going to make it go away just like you would anything that shouldn’t be. Right?

It hadn’t been there before I began painting the wall either. I repainted over it. Not just the C, of course, but that whole section of the wall. Three times. Still there. In the light of the overhead light at night. In the sunlight streaming into the room during the day. It was still there.

I got Kilz. It’s supposed to paint over any kind of stain and it’ll disappear. Four times I painted over it. Four times the letter C stared back at me.

I hadn’t planned on hanging any pictures. The less stuff on the walls, the bigger the room appeared and it was the smallest bedroom. So I decorated the bed, set a table back in there, decorated it and decided I would have to find a picture to hang over the letter C. I needed to get the house on the market and I needed to redo the bathroom and the other bedrooms, the hall, etc., so I couldn’t waste any more time with it.

Every morning, I’d peek into the bedroom. Still there. Every night when I’d passed by the bedroom, I’d turn on the light. Still there.

The next day I told my daughter, “Find me a picture that will cover the letter and I’ll just hang it.”
She did and I set it on the floor below the ghostly letter. I kept thinking I needed to find my hammer and a nail, kept getting distracted. Every time I looked in the room, I was reminded I needed to find the hammer and nail. So a couple of days later, and it’s still there, I went to make a concerted effort to get this taken care of. Hammer and nail in hand, I walk into the bedroom and the letter C has disappeared.
Vanished. With sunlight, with overhead light. It’s gone. Not a hint of it.

Now you can play the Twilight Zone music here.

Two more ghostly incidents have occurred in my life, one at the house when I was working on the bathroom and another when I visited Scotland, but that’s for another Halloween Day.
If you’re in the mood for paranormal, I have a treat for you! My latest release, just out this month, Savage Hunger, is all about jaguar shifters and what happens when you run into one hunky male.

****CONTEST (USA ONLY): The treat is a copy of Savage Hunger for one lucky commenter. The trick is answering my question…what would you do if a ghostly C turned up at your house? CONTEST ENDS OCT. 16TH at midnight PST.

Thanks so much to Karen for having me here today! Don’t let the bedbugs or vampires bite, but this Halloween, take a chance with a jaguar…

Terry Spear
About the Author
USA Today bestselling and an award-winning author of urban fantasy and medieval romantic suspense, Terry Spear also writes true stories for adult and young adult audiences. She’s a retired lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Army Reserves and has an MBA from Monmouth University. She also creates award-winning teddy bears, Wilde & Woolly Bears, that are personalized that have found homes all over the world. When she’s not writing or making bears, she’s teaching online writing courses or gardening. Her family has roots in the Highlands of Scotland where her love of all things Scottish came into being. Originally from California, she’s lived in eight states and now resides in the heart of Texas. She is the author of the Heart of the Wolf series and the Heart of the Jaguar series, plus numerous other paranormal romance and historical romance novels. For more information, please visit http://www.terryspear.com/, or follow her on Twitter, . She is also on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/terry.spear

Can't wait---Purchase Savage Hunger at:
Barnes and Noble

30 comments:

Terry Spear said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks so much for having me today, Karen! Have delightful Tuesday! I have a special guest visiting me today, so I'm off to get ready! But I'll stop in later today!

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Terry,

I'm so glad you could join us for Wicked Haunt-o-ween! Your spooky ghost writing on the wall took eerie to another level :)

Your book sounds fantastic. I love shifter cats. :) I'll have to put this one on my 'to buy list".

Terry Spear said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks Karen! When my daughter and I started working on stripping the wallpaper off the bathroom walls--okay, got to mention that toothpaste will take the color out of wallpaper and how two kids could get so much of it on the wallpaper when brushing their teeth, I have no idea--but, I had another ghostly experience! :)

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

lol-- with toothpaste on the wall. Yeah, I wondered that with the mirrors.

Cathy said... Best Blogger Tips

Good morning Terry and Karen.

Terry,
How creepy that was. Do you know if the new owners had any problems like that?

Your book sounds really good.

cnickol at verizon dot net

Terry Spear said... Best Blogger Tips

LOL, Karen. I swear they must have been having toothpastes fights. When I asked them, they just gave me such angelic sweet little, "who us?" looks.

Hey, Cathy! Thanks! I don't know. I hated to ask. I wonder if the minister and his family had trouble like that and that's why he moved out so quickly after buying the place!

Katrina Gillian said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Terry,

'Read the writing on the wall.'- That is really spooky!!!

Just the other night my brother and I had a ghostly visitor at our house. We were up late, each in our own room. He was on X-box and I was listening to music with my headphones. But at the same time we heard this weird noise, like scraping. It had to be loud since I heard it over my music. My brother doesn't come to my room. No, he calls me on his cell phone. I thought he was coming home late and forgot his keys and this was what I was hearing. But no, he's in his bedroom and wants me to come there. So I do. I open his door and ask him what? He says: 'I heard someone at my door and the doorknob rattled like they were trying to get in.'

So now I'm freaked and a little mad. He sent me out into the hall to investigate if something was there. lol Nice brother, huh! We never figured out what the noise was and we didn't hear it again, but we were both spooked.

katrinagillian at yahoo dot com

Terry Spear said... Best Blogger Tips

LOL, Katrina! That is truly eerie! And, your brother is so funny. BUT, he cannot be a hero in my book unless he shapes up. LOL :)

Cat said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Terry!! Think I would have done the same thing..find something to cover up the letter on the wall and hope for the best.

I used to have a lamp in my bedroom that was one of those 'touch' ones..touch the base and it would light. Quite a few times it would wake me in the middle of the night because it would turn on all by itself! It was a 3 way bulb..so dim, lighter, bright, go dark, then again, dim, lighter, bright, go dark..it would do this a few times and suddenly stop. I kept telling myself a surge in electricity..but I really wonder what it was that made it happen. Spooky!!!!

Terry Spear said... Best Blogger Tips

Hey, Cat!!
I would definitely get rid of the lamp. It's probably something in the sensor...but, what if it isn't? What if the sensor can be triggered by something other than US? I'd move it to another room. :) One where I couldn't see it go on and off all night!

I had a security light outside my bedroom at a different house and cats, or bears, we did have them, set the thing off all the time. Too creepy.

And my 2 way fan light fixture sometimes just turns itself on and off. I think it's when I don't pull it hard enough and it sits between trying to decide if it should be on or off. But that is creepy when it's supposed to be off then all of a sudden flashes on! And before I can turn it off (when it should be off), it goes off!

Jean MP said... Best Blogger Tips

I can honestly say have never had a ghostly experience. I would be like you keep trying to cover up what ever was on the wall and hope that nothing else happened.
skpetal at hotmail dot com

Kathryn Knight said... Best Blogger Tips

I love ghost stories - they are what inspired me to write Silver Lake! I probably would have just caved and tried a dark, dark paint in hopes that that would cover it up! great spooky post

LisaRayns said... Best Blogger Tips

I believe I'd move. Yep, yep.
Thanks for the giveaway! lisarayns(aat)gmail(dot)com

Terry Spear said... Best Blogger Tips

Jean, I agree!! Then I would have left it to the new owners to figure out. LOL

Kathryn, good idea! The bedroom was really small and I wanted to make it seem bigger, which was the reason for the white paint. What if I had painted it a dark color and the white C had shown through. Spooky!

Lisa, I agree!!! I moved. What if the C returned? Or something else showed up??

bn100 said... Best Blogger Tips

That was scary. Maybe figure out if it was already there before I got there.

bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

Terry Spear said... Best Blogger Tips

BN, I love mysteries, but it wasn't there when I first moved into the house. It was empty, all the walls were painted white. the house was ready to be moved into. Then my son and daughter tacked up all their millions of posters and that was how it was for 10 years. LOL :) It wasn't there UNTIL I began painting white over the wall. And it was white too, only a different shade and really showed up. Tooo bizarre!

Beth Trissel said... Best Blogger Tips

Very interesting post, Terry, and your book sounds terrific. Remodeling the old farm house is what seemed to disturb the poltergeist activity that I've written a post about on my blog. As to your big C, I'm all for exorcisms. Helped in our farm house. 'thing' gone. Not sure if it would take away your big C. Any idea why you had that particular letter?

Terry Spear said... Best Blogger Tips

Hey, Beth, I figured they'd have to exorcise it if they had problems. I left. LOL

Not sure about the letter C. It was like it was this huge stenciled C, but solid. So not hand drawn or anything. But it was so big, not the size of normal stencils. Also, it was just the one letter. Nothing else. None of us have Cs in our names. And my kids put up posters right after we moved in, so no one was painting stuff on the walls.

I always figure that something like that is something else. That it can't be something paranormal. But it just wasn't there before they hung their posters. And it wasn't there when I took down the posters. Or when I spackled all the millions of pinprick tack holes.

But when I painted the wall....it suddenly appeared! Spooky music here. :)

Shadow said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh, that is creepy! In my house, we used to have two names (jennifer and james) that used to pop up. When my siblings and i were little, we used to get into so much trouble for writing on the walls. Turned out, there was a couple by those names who used to live here. And on one occasion, this happened about a year ago, (mind you, my siblings and i are 17+) my dad was painting a room and he left to go to the store, when he came back, a toddler had been playing in the paint. There were little hand prints all over the windows. They were so tiny! And my mom and i were the only ones home when my dad left. Kinda freaked us out. lol Thanks for sharing! Love your books! Looking forward to reading this one!
shadowluvs2read(at)gmail(dot)com

Terry Spear said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks so much, Shadow! That is so spooky about your experiences!!! Did the children die there, I wonder??? How very odd.

SiNn said... Best Blogger Tips

in all out honesty Terry id just ad ambiance to that room soem candles make that ghostly letter center of attention makes things less ceepy if it looks like it should be there ur books r awesome cant wait to read the next one

mortalsinn@yahoo.com

Terry Spear said... Best Blogger Tips

Sinn, thanks loving my books!!! Now that's an awesome idea! Why didn't I think of that? They would have just believed I did it on purpose. :) Then they could have messed with trying to get rid of it! :) And I wouldn't have wasted so much paint or time and energy on it.

Then I could have made up a neat story about the significance of the letter C!

Cate Masters said... Best Blogger Tips

What a spooky story Terry! Did any of the previous occupants names begin with a C? I'd probably start researching if something like that happened - the curse of a being a writer! :)

Terry Spear said... Best Blogger Tips

I'm the same way, Cate! I'd watch the ghost stories, but I only wanted to know who had lived there before that might have caused the phenomena in the first place.

The original owner vanished. The IRS was after him. An insurance company was after him. LOL So I doubt I could ever have tracked him down! :)

katsrus said... Best Blogger Tips

That is creepy. I probably would of kept doing what you did Terry. Kept painting it again. LOL. Love your book cover. Love the excerpt.
Sue B
katsrus(at)gmail(dot)com

Terry Spear said... Best Blogger Tips

Hey, Sue, it was!!! And the goal oriented person I am, I really wanted all white walls to make the room look bigger. No Cs allowed!!! Thanks on the cover.

Shadow said... Best Blogger Tips

As far as we know, there was only one little boy. We were told there was a mother, father and son. The father was an abusive alcoholic. The mom couldnt take it anymore, killed the son then herself. And the father found them and killed himself. We share the ghosts with two other neighbors. Its scary! Our neighbor look up the history on our houses. As it turns out, where our houses are, there house use to sit. But thats the only little boy that i know of. He fits the ghost i scene but not the toddler hand prints.

Terry Spear said... Best Blogger Tips

Wow, that is creepy, Shadow!!

Terry Spear said... Best Blogger Tips

Cathy N, you won! Thanks to everyone for participating and I loved everyone's comments! Lots of fun!

I'm sill doing giveaways through Oct 31, so stop by my blog to see when and where!

Thanks for having me, Karen!

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Terry,

I loved having you here! Thanks for joining us for Wicked Haunt-o-ween.

Cathy Congratulations!!