Saturday, October 6, 2012

Wicked Haunt-o-ween with Sarah McNeal and the Bog Monster

The CONTEST IS CLOSED. THE WINNER IS JEAN! Congratulations!!

KAREN: Trick-or-Treat with SARAH MCNEAL, but beware of the monsters lurking in the creek.  After you've roamed the woods, you're sure to be hungry. Sarah is sharing a recipe to tame your ravenous appetite. Psst... The treat also great to whip up before you indulge in a night of scary movies or when reading one of your hauntingly good books.

***CONTEST: Sarah is offering Halloween treats and  a PRINT copy of The 2012 Fall/Paranormal Collection  to fill your trick-or-treat bags (USA only). Read on and find out how you may enter the giveaway.  CONTEST ends OCT. 13TH so don't delay. Sarah will post the winner's name in the comments of this post. 

The Boggy Creek Monster
Now I have to tell you that I have loved anything having to do Big Foot stories. I know the scientific community is still debating the existence of Big Foot but there are so many instances of Big Foot reports, one which took place on a major interstate where there were dozens of sightings of a creature in the middle of traffic. Four of the reports were called in by police officers. The Science Channel presented a scientific study using forensic  evidence and scientific data to prove or disprove the existence of Big Foot. The evidence was inconclusive. Some scientists were convinced Big Foot lives and other scientists said they just didn’t know one way or another. Even the renowned scientist, Jane Goodall, confessed that it would be possible for a creature like Big Foot to go unseen and undetected in wilderness settings. She said that people can walk by a group of great apes and not even know they’re there because they are so good at camouflaging themselves in the scenery.
I’m a skeptic, but lately, even I am beginning to believe in the existence of a creature not an ape and not quite human either. Big Foot might actually be out there in remote areas around the world.

This brings me to my legendary tale of the Boggy Creek Monster who is believed to stalk the area around Fouke County, Arkansas just southwest of Texarkana. Since the 1840’s there have been reports of a hairy creature living in the sparsely populated area, forested hills of the Ozarks. People have describe the creature as being about 7 feet tall, covered with hair and smelling kind of stinky who kills chickens, livestock and dogs. Even worse, about twenty years after it was first reported, the Boggy Creek Monster began to harass two families living in the area. Hollywood even made a low budget movie in 1973 about it titled, The Boggy Creek Monster.
In 1997, the locals said the hairy creature was seen walking along a dry creek bed just 5 miles south of town. The last time the creature was seen, it was walking along the juncture of the Sulphur and Red Rivers. For a while Fouke townspeople played up to the legend with signs and a Boggy Creek Monster gift shop, but all that has gone away now.

All that remains is a small plaque on the bridge. Perhaps the creature left the area to find a more remote place to live. Perhaps the creature still lives there but has learned to keep hidden away from people. We may never know, but on a dark moonless night, there just might be a creature lurking out there is the darkness waiting...




Here’s a little recipe for some special popcorn to eat while you read or watch those horror stories for Halloween:

Haunted Popcorn Mix
Cocoa Crunchy Snack Mix
Recipe At A Glance

Ready in: Under 30 minutes
Serves/Makes: 12 cups

INGREDIENTS:
4 cups popcorn
2 cups Cocoa Puffs cereal
2 cups miniature marshmallows
2 cups semi sweet chocolate pieces
1 cup peanuts
1 cup raisins

DIRECTIONS:
Combine all ingredients.

NUTRITION:
148 calories, 8 grams fat, 20 grams carbohydrates, 3 grams protein per 1/2 cup. This recipe is low in sodium. Weight Watcher’s points: 4 per 1 cup

Speaking of scary stories and monsters, I am happy to announce my new short story just released in the 2012 Fall/Paranormal Collection by Victory Tales Press titled, The Curse of the Amber Tomb.

The Curse of the Amber Tomb by Sarah J. McNeal
Edward, a handsome photographer who is afraid of heights and Kate, a lady archeologist afraid to love, must face their fears when they discover a deadly secret in an ancient tomb.

Excerpt:
The sky cracked open and rain poured down as Kate and Edward ran. Thunder shook the earth.  Edward took Kate’s hand and pulled her after him.  They got to the gorge but the bridge hung damaged by the wind.  All that remained was a rope and a few dangling boards.  The river roared below in a sweeping surge of deadly white water.
            “Edward, we’re not going to make it,” Kate cried as fear snaked up her spine.  They were trapped.  Behind them death approached in the form of a hungry visage of ancient terror.  Before them was nature at its worst with nothing but a few shreds of rope to get them to the other side and safety.  It was impossible.
            He held her close an instant.  He had to raise his voice to be heard above the wind. “Yes we are, Kate.  I’m going to tighten the rope up and I’ll walk us over to the other side.”
            “I don’t think I can do this. Besides, you’re terrified of heights.  You could hardly get across the bridge before it was damaged.  How will you do it now?”  She felt her voice pitch upward in hysteria.  “There’s no way we can make it, Edward.”
There are a number of talented authors who contributed to the 2012 Fall/Paranormal Collection. The following are a list of the authors and a logline of their story contribution:

Love is Eternal by Cate Abbott
Falling in love with a man from work is dangerous enough. What could Angelique possibly be thinking when she goes on a weekend trip – over Halloween, no less – with this dark haired, mysterious male? 

Shattered Illusions by Karen Michelle Nutt
Blood stained floors appear and disappear, low whispering voices greet her as a storm causes the lights to flicker. Brona must put her fears behind her and unravel the mystery that haunts the house. 

Night of Magic by Stephanie Burkhart
It's 800 A.D. on the Emerald Isle. Samhain. Dark. Dangerous. Powerful. Dare Finn brave the bonfires to bring Aithne home? 

Magic Words by Gerald Costlow
Hundreds of years ago, Felipe was cursed to be an immortal frog. Now only the lovely Evelyn can break his curse – if he can convince her that the handsome man she met just this morning is not crazy.

Buy Links:

Soon to be available in digital or print at Barnes and Noble and all online bookstores.

****CONTEST: You could win some Halloween treats and  a PRINT copy of The 2012 Fall/Paranormal Collection from Victory Tales Press by answering the contest question and including your email address. Limited to those living in continental USA.
Contest question:
Do you believe that Big Foot really exists, or do you believe all the stories are just hoaxes?

About Sarah McNeal: 
I became interested in writing at a young age. My parents didn't allow us to have a television so my sisters and I became avid readers. We read everything from Shakespeare to my mother's True Detective Stories that, by the way, scared the hell out of me. I submitted my first story and received my first rejection when I was thirteen years old.

Along with writing, I have a deep love of music and play the violin, bagpipes, guitar and harmonica.

I live with my four-legged children, Liberty, my rescue kitty and my golden retriever rescue, Lily. I feed the wild birds around my house and care very much about all creatures of the Earth. I am a member of The Defenders of Wildlife and The ASPCA as well as The Humane Society of the United States.

I write time travel, paranormal and romance novels and love doing the historical research for them. I am presently writing a series of musical instrument stories inspired by my love of music. My Wildings of Wyoming series is under way with book one, Harmonica Joe's Reluctant Bride and coming soon, For Love of Banjo from Western Trail Blazers.

You can also find more information about me at my website: http://www.sarahmcneal.com
Writing brings me a joy and fulfillment that nothing else can. I love creating magical worlds and people who want to make a difference. I hope that anyone who reads them will love them, too.

29 comments:

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Sarah,

Thanks so much for sharing your recipe and the info on the Bog Monster.

I love reading about those legends. :)

Cathy said... Best Blogger Tips

Interesting post. I've never seen the movie. This might be a good thing. lol

The Haunted Popcorn sounds tasty.

cnickol@ verizon dot net

Stephanie Bowyer said... Best Blogger Tips

I'm having a get together with friends for Halloween and the popcorn recipe is great. Thanks.

Bog Monster-- interesting post.
I'd love to be entered in the contest.

stephiebow@verizon.net

Thanks.

Shadow said... Best Blogger Tips

Great post and yummy recipe! mmm..
I do believe that something exists. I believe that every tale or story comes from somewhere. Its hard to tell. I seen a discovery special with a whole town that swore they existed. Its hard telling. Thank you!!
shadowluvs2read(at)gmail(dot)com

Cheryl Pierson said... Best Blogger Tips

Oh, great post, Sarah! I love this. I do believe there are things we don't know about, and people are so arrogant they think that just because they don't understand it or haven't seen it, that it can't exist. This anthology looks great. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
fabkat_edit@yahoo.com
Hugs!
Cheryl

Margaret Coleman said... Best Blogger Tips

Eerie!

Do I believe the bog monster exists? Sure. There are thing that can't be explained.

blackrose72981 (at) yahoo.com

LisaRayns said... Best Blogger Tips

I believe he really exists. There've been too many sightings to dismiss them all.

lisarayns(at)gmail(dot)com

Sarah J. McNeal said... Best Blogger Tips

I haven't seen the movie either, Cathy. Scary movies give me nightmares. Just like a big kid. I do like movies like Hocus Pocus.
Thank you for coming by.

Sarah J. McNeal said... Best Blogger Tips

Stephanie, I hope you like the recipe for Haunted Popcorn. How wonderful to have a get-together for Halloween. I told fortunes the last time I went to a Halloween party. LOL I had a lot of fun. I really appreciate that you dropped in to visit.

Sarah J. McNeal said... Best Blogger Tips

Hey Shadow, I saw that Discovery feature. There is a whole series called Finding Big Foot on Animal Planet where scientists go from state to state investigating reports of Big Foot. One of them took place on a heavily trafficked interstate with dozens of witnesses, including 4 police reports. Exciting, isn't it?
Thank you for taking the time to come by and comment. Love the name Shadow.

Sarah J. McNeal said... Best Blogger Tips

Cheryl, I'm always glad to see you. Even thpugh I am a total skeptic about things unknown, I have to say, I am becoming a believer in Big Foot. Even Jane Goodall said it was possible for a group of great apes to evade detection...people can walk right by them without knowing they are there. Some very convincing forenzics (spelling?)studies are winning me over.
I know how busy you are so I'm very happy you took the time to come by today.

Sarah J. McNeal said... Best Blogger Tips

Hello Margaret. I agree; there are things that just cannot be explained. Scientists are investigating the existence of Big Foot and some of their findings are very convincing.
I really appreciate that you came by to comment on my blog.

Sarah J. McNeal said... Best Blogger Tips

Lisa, you are so right;evidence is beginning to come to light that gives a convincing argument for the existence of an unknown, bipedal ape/human creature. Thank you so much for coming by today to comment.

Sarah J. McNeal said... Best Blogger Tips

Karen, thank you for having me on this fabulous blog. I don't know why I couldn't bring up the blog yesterday, but I am very happy that I finally found it today. It's been so much fun talking about one of my favorite subject, Big Foot. LOL

Jean MP said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for the yummy recipe, can't wait to try it. There are so many things out there that can't be explained, totally believe in things like that.
skpetal at hotmail dot com

Sarah J. McNeal said... Best Blogger Tips

Jean, I hope you do try the Haunted Popcorn Recipe. I'm glad to hear you believe in Big Foot. Even the ancient Native Americans spoke of Big Foot.
Thank you for coming by and leaving a comment. All the best to you.

catslady said... Best Blogger Tips

I think all things are possible. We just may not have the answers yet. I tend to think there must be something to the stories - yes, there may be some hoaxes but I don't believe all of them can be. I just saw a show that said maybe they are aliens or maybe it was their earlier attempts at messing with man - who knows lol.

catslady5(at)aol.com

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Sarah,
I'm sure glad you could find your way here today. I was afraid maybe a ghoul made off with your post. lol

Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful recipes!

Savanna Kougar said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi, Sarah, late to your party. However, I thought I'd simply say after listening to years of info about Big Foot on Coast to Coast am, and the fact that there is now DNA evidence, albeit ignored by mainstream scientists, yes, Big Foot exists. Absolutely.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Sarah J. McNeal said... Best Blogger Tips

Catslady, thank you for your comment. On the History Channel they did a strickly scientific study of Bog Foot. You know those footprints that some have found contain prints, just like finger prints. I wouldn't tink hoaxes could make such a thing. It's so interesting, isn't it?
I really appreciate you dropping by.

Sarah J. McNeal said... Best Blogger Tips

Hey Karen. Funny thing, I set the blog so I would receive comments in my email, but it doesn't work. Wierdness abounds...maybe 'cause it's Halloween time. LOL

Sarah J. McNeal said... Best Blogger Tips

Savannah, I see you are not a skeptic. I didn't know the scietists had actually dug up authentic DNA from Big Foot. Wow! I'm so excited to hear that.
BTW, you didn't include your email address to enter the contest. Don't know if you meant to or not.
Thanks so much for coming by and commenting. Big Foot is so fascinating.

Savanna Kougar said... Best Blogger Tips

Sarah, yeah, can't be a skeptic when there's a mountain of evidence. There's a professor at a mainstream university... I forgot his name... who wrote a book about his hypothesis of what Big Foot is genetically. But that was written before the current DNA evidence. No, likely, you won't hear this in the mainstream media shows and news. Even so, they'd probably find a paid debunker.

Anyhoo, I'm so buried in trying to get my novel finished, I'm out of time for reading anything right now.

Congrats to whoever wins!

bn100 said... Best Blogger Tips

Tasty recipe. I think it's a hoax.

bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

SiNn said... Best Blogger Tips

awesomee recipe deff be trying it for sure and honestly I think he does exist I think that alot of things that r unexplained r explainable buts o many wanna chase a myth legdn but when they find it they wanna deny teh proof so makes it more of a legend then anything ty for the chance and for stopping in

mortalsinn@yahoo.com

Sarah J. McNeal said... Best Blogger Tips

bn100, the recipe is great--definitely not a hoax, but I bet, if you left a trail of it, a Bog Foot would follow you home. LOL
Thank you for coming by.

Sarah J. McNeal said... Best Blogger Tips

hey Sinn. You might be right, when the proof comes rolling in, some people just can't believe it and dispute it. Glad to hear you're a believer.
Thank you so much for participating.

Sarah J. McNeal said... Best Blogger Tips

My Contest Winner is Jean. Congratulations Jean. I will contact you privately to obtain your snail mail address so I can send you your prize of a print copy of the Fall/Paranormal Collection and some Halloween treats.
I would like to thank everyone who took the time to drop by, comment on my blog and enter my contest. I really appreciate your participation.

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Congratulations, Jean.

Thanks again for being a guest, Sarah!!