Monday, October 22, 2012

Wicked Haunt-o-ween with Mae Clair and Werewolves

KAREN: Mae Clair's new release Weathering Rock is a real treat: a time travel romance with a Civil War hero, who not only must deal with the 21st Century, but he's been cursed to turn all hairy when the moon is full. I thoroughly enjoyed this paranormal tale full of suspense and romance!

***CONTEST: Mae is giving away an e-book copy of Weathering Rock (mobi or epub format) to one lucky commenter. Read on to see how you may add this wonderful tale to your goodie bag. You don't want to miss this one guys and gals. CONTEST ENDS on Oct. 29th at midnight. 

For your add treat today enjoy Mae Clair's ghoulish post and a sneak peek at Weathering Rock.

Ghoulish Reads and Conflict by Mae Clair
 

October is a great time to curl up with a spooky read. Not only is the air crisp and cold, inviting the warmth of a crackling fire, but ghosts, ghouls and night-creatures are on everyone’s mind. I was thrilled when Karen invited me to be part of her Haunt-o-ween and thought it would be fun to talk about spine-tingling books that have left a marked impression on me.

As a kid, my first exposure to haunted houses and shivery goose bumps was courtesy of THE WICKED PIGEON LADIES IN THE GARDEN by Mary Chase. Anyone remember that? A bratty kid, haunted house, and seven wicked sisters in flowing Victorian gowns.

By the time I was a teen, I was devouring Stephen King novels. SALEM’S LOT still ranks as one of my all-time favorite books, but the one that scared the daylights out of me was THE SHINING. Even now, I can’t look at a topiary bush without being reminded of that novel. '

Which brings me to romance.

I love a good paranormal story, especially when it’s woven with mythical elements like folklore. Otherworldly creatures make for wonderfully addictive reading. I love vampires who struggle with their thirst for blood, ghosts who haunt graveyards and rambling homes, unable to rest, night-creatures that shy from the sun, and fey folk who walk between worlds. But my a favorite?

The werewolf.

I’ve been in love with that legend since I was a kid. Vampires remember their mortal lives but, once turned, there is no going back. The werewolf is different, constantly straddling both sides of a curse--mostly human but doomed to the anguish of a carnal, bestial existence every full moon. Imagine someone who is by nature ethical and strong, even heroic, but unable to stop the bloodlust that overtakes him when controlled by lycanthropy. Yeah, my kind of hero - - tortured, conflicted, cursed.

May I introduce you to the hero of my paranormal romance novel, WEATHERING ROCK? Colonel Caleb DeCardian is not only a werewolf tracking his rival, the man who cursed him with lycanthropy, but also a Civil War officer who has time travelled to the present. In the 21st Century he encounters Arianna Hart, a teacher of American history, and soon finds himself adding romance to an already complicated life.


WEATHERING ROCK Blurb:
Drawn together across centuries, will their love be strong enough to defeat an ancient curse?

Colonel Caleb DeCardian was fighting America’s Civil War on the side of the Union when a freak shower of ball lightning transported him to the present, along with rival and former friend, Seth Reilly. Adapting to the 21st century is hard enough for the colonel, but he also has to find Seth, who cursed him to life as a werewolf. The last thing on Caleb’s mind is romance. Then fetching Arianna Hart nearly runs him down with her car. He can’t deny his attraction to the outspoken schoolteacher, but knows he should forget her.

Arianna finds Caleb bewildering, yet intriguing: courtly manners, smoldering sensuality and eyes that glow silver at night? When she sees Civil War photographs featuring a Union officer who looks exactly like Caleb, she begins to understand the man she is falling in love with harbors multiple secrets--some of which threaten the possibility of their happiness.

Finding a decent guy who'll commit is hard enough. How can she expect Caleb to forsake his own century to be with her?


WEATHERING ROCK EXCERPT:
“You’re where?” Lauren said into the phone, flabbergasted.

“Weathering Rock,” Arianna repeated.

“You mean that big old house off Blackberry Lane? The weird one that’s supposed to attract ball lightning?”

“That’s the one.”

Too keyed up to sit, Arianna paced the guestroom. “I had a small accident on the way home.” And met an incredibly sexy man with silver eyes and an old-fashioned personality. That part would keep until tomorrow.

Lauren drew a sharp breath. “Ari, you’re scaring me. Are you all right? Are you hurt?”

“I’m fine.” Walking to the window, she pushed the drapes aside and stared into the darkness. Her reflection leaped back like a disembodied ghost--raven hair, dark green eyes, her skin pale as milk in the night-blackened glass. The rain had arrived, pushed by a fury of wind and thunder. It pelted the windows, making her feel safe indoors.

I won’t hurt you, Caleb had promised. Why was it so important to him she stay?

She told her friend what happened, skipping her conflicting emotions about her blond-haired host.

“And you’re actually staying?” Lauren gave a cluck of disbelief. “I don’t care if it is raining, I’ll come get you. For all we know, one of them could have punctured your tire so you’d be stuck there.”

“You’ve seen too many slasher movies, Lauren. I’ll be fine.” She couldn’t explain why, but felt secure in the house, as if something sinister lurked outside. As long as she remained within the walls of Weathering Rock, she was protected from that unnamed threat.

By Caleb.

The thought shocked her. She eased to a seat on the bed, absently fingering the white eyelet cover. The furnishings looked plucked from a storybook, the bed dressed in a pale blue canopy and flirty skirted ruffle. The matching bureau was squat and old-fashioned with a standing mirror and gold-veined marble top. A walnut washstand with a pitcher and bowl was tucked into the corner.

“I’ll call you in the morning when I get home.”

“You’re sure about this?”

“Positive.” Arianna smiled, appreciating her friend’s concern. Lauren had been through a divorce eight months ago, the experience leaving her jaded when it came to trusting men.

“All right.” Lauren exhaled into the phone. “But I expect a call in the morning, followed by details in the afternoon. How about dropping by my shop after you finish your errands?”

“Deal.” Running Saturday errands was a regular routine for Arianna and she most always ended at Lauren’s boutique for a visit afterward. “I’ll talk to you soon.”

She said goodbye and set the cell within reach on the nightstand. Rain continued to batter the windows in fierce bursts, backlit by strobes of lightning. The intermittent flash made her think of the ball lightning she’d seen earlier, an occurrence Caleb had been reluctant to acknowledge. Yet another oddity from a man who excelled at them.

Yawning, she glanced at her watch. It was after one in the morning and the events of the night had finally caught up with her. She switched off the light and opened the drapes, inviting the frenzied dance of the storm indoors. She shimmied from her jeans and top and crawled into bed, the cotton sheets blessedly cool against her bare skin. Moments later, as she was drifting toward sleep, a rattling crack of thunder drew her upright.

Outside, lightning transformed the night into surreal-whitened day, silhouetting the bulk of a large animal against the window. Arianna recoiled from the touch of its eyes, yellow in the flash-fire burst of the storm. The image lasted only a pulse-beat before it was swallowed by darkness.

She shoved from the bed, hastily pulling on her blouse to cover herself, and threw open the window. The night had bled into a cauldron of shadow and patchy fog, making it impossible to see more than a few feet. The air was redolent with wet grass and worm-rich soil, an odor that made her think of swollen riverbeds and bogs. Rain pelted her face and left her shivering in her skimpy bra and panties. The animal--if animal it had been--had been swallowed by the storm.

She closed the window, careful to secure the lock.

It’s not safe tonight, Caleb had said.

She shook away a chill, convinced she’d been dreaming. The animal must have been a figment of her sleep-hazed mind. The events of the night, Caleb’s mysterious warning, and the legends surrounding Weathering Rock had taken a toll of her nerves.

Yet as she crawled into bed, she couldn’t help thinking the animal had looked very much like a wolf.

***CONTEST: To be entered to win an e-book copy of Weathering Rock (mobi or epub format) Answer this question: Do you have a favorite werewolf legend? If yes, please do share.  CONTEST ENDS on Oct. 29th at midnight.

Can't wait to have a copy, purchase WEATHERING ROCK at:


You can find Mae Clair at the following haunts:

Many thanks for having me on your blog today, Karen. It was a lot of fun to be part of 
Haunt-o-ween!

28 comments:

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Mae,

Thanks so much for being here today! I loved your story Weathering Rock!!

I know you're working on a sequel. When will it be available? Is there a date yet?

My favorite werewolf legend are the Irish legends.

he Irish legends aren’t based off the German myths. The werewolves weren’t man-eating creatures, but rather protectors. The wolves protect children, guard wounded men and have also guided a lost person to safety. Even today a wolf talisman is still believed to ward off evil.


In 1185, Giraldus Cambrensis wrote down the first werewolf tale, believing the story to be true. Serious, no lie, he believed every word. Giraldus spoke to Bishop of Ossory, giving his views about the incident. The Bishop then sends the information to Pope Urban III. So it's is all documented.

maeclair.net said... Best Blogger Tips

Karen,

Many thanks for having me on your blog today. I love talking about werewolves, and am so glad to hear you enjoyed WEATHERING ROCK.

I am working on the sequel, but it's still in the writing stage. My next book with Lyrical is a bit different and involves a treasure hunt for a marine artifact. That one will release in August of 2013.

Love the Irish legend take on werewolves. I wasn't familiar with that one. Sooo interesting!

site angel said... Best Blogger Tips

Man, this looks good.
You've got such a unique concept, blending historical, time travel, and paranormal. I have to know whether Caleb was outside the window, and why she's safe inside.
I'll get this one way or the other...
Cheers, Kelly
kelly_book_maven(at)yahoo(dot)com

maeclair.net said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for checking it out, Kelly. So happy to hear I have you interested. It was a twisty-turvy one to write but a lot of fun too! :)

Jean MP said... Best Blogger Tips

Really enjoyed that excerpt, curious to find out more about everyone in this story. Not really familiar with werewolf legends, Little Red Riding Hood is the one that sticks in my mind.
skpetal at hotmail dot com

maeclair.net said... Best Blogger Tips

So pleased to hear you liked the excerpt, Jean! Little Red Riding Hood is one of my favorite werewolf legends, especially when redone as urban fantasy.

Thanks for commenting!

Cathy said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Mae,

Your story sounds interesting. I've never read a time travel with a werewolf, too.

My favorite werewolf legend: I like the original legend with a bite and the person is cursed.

cnickol@verizon(dot)net

Katrina Gillian said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Mae,

I like the book cover.

I like the traditional vampire legends, but I also like the newer ones where the person is both wolf (not a monster) and human. I like that they know they are the wolf and may have been born that way.

katrinagillian at yahoo dot com

Shay Lacy said... Best Blogger Tips

I didn't know there was a new Red Riding Hood with a werewolf in it. I must be living in my writing cave. Mae, that's a kewl premise. Good luck on your release.

maeclair.net said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi, Cahty! I'm partial to the original werewolf legend too! I have been since I was a kid.

And yes, it was a challenge weaving time travel and lycanthropy but I couldn't resist combining two of my favorite mythical elements.

Thanks so much for commenting. I'm glad you find the story interesting :)

maeclair.net said... Best Blogger Tips

Hello, Katrina! I was pleased with the book cover which Valerie Tibbs did. I asked her to make the hero and heroine resemble my characters in the book and she pulled it off beautifully! Caleb really does have long blond hair! :)

Thanks for commenting. Although I'm a werewofly type of girl, I do like the vamps too!

maeclair.net said... Best Blogger Tips

Many thanks, Shay! And I think where Red Riding Hood gets the werwolf spin is in modern novels with a new twist!

Calisa Rhose said... Best Blogger Tips

Can LPI sisters win? lol I don't know about legends, but this book is on my gotta get list! I'm like you, Mae- love the wolf. Congrats and happy release.

maeclair.net said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi, Calisa! Thanks for dropping by. Of course, LPI sisters can win. So happy I'm on your must-have list! :)

Thanks for the congrats and well-wishes.

bn100 said... Best Blogger Tips

Congrats on the book! No favorite werewolf legend.

bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

Sara Walter Ellwood / Cera duBois said... Best Blogger Tips

I'm a fan of the werewolf too... I prefer them over shifters. Great blog and congrats on your book!

Sara Walter Ellwood / Cera duBois said... Best Blogger Tips
This comment has been removed by the author.
Silke said... Best Blogger Tips

Love a good shifter book, and this one sounds like it's great.
I had the pleasure of watching a Civil War Reenactment (pardon, War of Northern Aggression -- after all, I was in Alabama at the time and watching with a Southerner, whose stepfather had edumacated me about such things the day before...)
Anyway lol. I had a blast, and thought the era fascinating.
To mix both in a book, plus time travel...yeah. Gonna grab this one. :)
As for introduction to spooky things... I grew up in a 500 year old house (possibly older) and things usually went bump in the night. (And day...) You get used to it.

pc said... Best Blogger Tips

I do like the Underworld series of werewolves (and vampires)
ivegotmail8889@yahoo.com

Gerald Costlow said... Best Blogger Tips

My favorite will always be Universal's "Wolf Man". You just had to feel sorry for Lon Chaney, Jr.

"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night
may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright."

maeclair.net said... Best Blogger Tips

bn100, many thanks for dropping by and commenting!

maeclair.net said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi, Sara. Great to see you here. Many thanks for the congrats!

maeclair.net said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi, Silkie! Very cool about the reenactment (I like the terminology too, LOL).

I live not too far from Gettysburg and there is a huge one there every year. My cousin showed up in full Civil War uniform with his horse back when they were filming the movie, but was too late to snag a part as an extra.I'm so glad you're going to grab the book! :)

As for teh 500 year old house and things-going-bump-in the night, that definitely gave me goosebumps! :)

maeclair.net said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi, pc! Thanks for reading and commenting :)

maeclair.net said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi, Gerald. Loved that snippet of verse! My first exposure to werewolves came courtesy of Dark Shadows and Quentin Collins. I can't remember the first movie I saw but I do remember some old black and whites, including Michael Landon as a "teenage werewolf" LOL!

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Mae,

I watched Dark Shadows. I was pretty young when it was on, but I remember really be intrigued. I saw the Michael Landon in the Teenage Werwolf. I'd forgotten about that one. lol

maeclair.net said... Best Blogger Tips

Just wanted to touch base and say if I don't get a winner posted on the 30th it's only because I'll be without power. I'm in Sandy's path.

I'm looking forward to posting a winner. Stay safe everyone and have a Happy Halloween! :)

maeclair.net said... Best Blogger Tips

Congrats to Jean MP, the winner of my contest.

Thanks to everyone who stopped by and commented. Wishing you a happy (and dry) Halloween!