Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Wicked Haunt-o-ween with Lisa Rayns

CONTEST IS CLOSED THE WINNER IS KATHERYN KNIGHT! CONGRATULATIONS!!

KAREN: Lisa Rayns is in the house! With four boys, a husband, a full time job, this talented author at The Wild Rose Press is busy, but she's written an eerie Halloween story for all trick or treaters to enjoy!

***CONTEST is FOR ALL TRICK OR TREATERS worldwide: LISA is giving ONE Ebook copy of WANTED: VAMPIRE (Free Blood) to one lucky commenter. See details below. CONTEST ENDS OCTOBER 17th at midnight. Lisa will post the winner's name in the comments. Good Luck!

Now for your treat....


The Halloween Witch by Lisa Rayns

It was a dark and stormy night in my small town near Boston, Massachusetts. I’d just moved into a two bedroom house a week ago but everywhere I went, I heard the rumors.
“Did you know the Halloween witch lived there?” they’d ask and follow with, “They say her ghost still haunts that house.” News traveled fast and it didn’t matter if I was grocery shopping or working at the Post Office. People would stop me to inquire on my well-being and their eyes would always be sad and concerned.
“Yes,” I’d reply, “but I don’t believe in ghosts.” 
An eerie feeling hung around the house that particular evening, unlike any I’d ever felt before. My black cat, normally so outgoing, sat on the sofa with wide eyes. His head went around in circles as though he were following a laser light on the walls. I saw nothing.
Ignoring him, I made a cup of hot cocoa to ease the chill in my bones. I’d just put my teapot on to boil when a loud rap startled me.
I strode to the door, chastising myself for being so jumpy. I wasn’t prone to believe in the supernatural or things that go bump in the night.
A woman, drenched from the heavy downpour, stood on the other side of the door. Her hair was as black as the night sky, her eyes were a brilliant blue, and her nose was almost manly in size. She wore a long white dress that covered every part of her body except her face which paled and blended with her clothing. She smiled, showing surprisingly perfect teeth. “Might I come in?”
“Of course.” I ushered her in, afraid she’d catch her death of a cold. “Would you like a towel or some hot cocoa?”
“No. Perhaps I could stand in front of your fire for a moment?”
“Yes. Right this way.” I led her to the cozy fireplace in the living room and rushed to get her a blanket and towel.
When I returned, she was completely dry and sitting comfortably on my sofa. My cat sat on her lap, purring as she scratched behind his ears. The items dropped from my hands. Not only had she dried unbelievably quick but she’d won over my cat who hissed at everyone he didn’t know. 
“Tell me. What are your Halloween traditions? What do you have planned for tomorrow evening?”
Assuming she was with the town committee, I cast off my surprise and sat down in the adjacent recliner. “Well, I normally pass out candy. Are there town regulations I should know about?”
“No, no, of course not. It’s just that I knew the woman who lived here before you and as you well know, Halloween was her favorite holiday. She liked things done in a certain way. Do you know what I mean?”
I scowled, stood, and propped my hands on my hips to show my disapproval. “I don’t care how she liked things done. This is my house now.”
“That may be.” She nodded and set the cat on the floor before she rose. “But I’d hate to see something happen to you tomorrow night, just because you didn’t put out a few decorations to honor the witch’s memory. She liked the cauldron from the basement in that bare spot in the yard.”
Folding my arms across my chest, I tried to stop my eye roll. “I don’t believe in ghosts.”
A loud whistle from the kitchen startled me. I squeezed my eyes shut and nearly hit the ceiling when I jumped. It’s just the kettle, I told myself, then pried my lids open.
The woman was gone and on the sofa sat a picture of the decorated yard.
On Halloween, I decorated the yard like the picture showed. I decided to humor the mysterious woman. All the children seemed particularly excited by the cauldron. When I asked why, one said they saw the Halloween witch in it.
Later, when the kids had given up on Trick-or-Treating for the night, I glanced outside. A green ghostly cloud rose up from the cauldron and formed into the shape of a woman. It was the same one who’d visited me the day before. I believed she was the Halloween witch. 
She waved and held out her hand. I stepped over to receive the offered handshake, proud of my good deed.
Just as our limbs met, they meshed together and the cauldron sucked me inside and rolled me around like a whirlwind. When it finally stopped, I felt sick. Unsure of what had happened, I pulled myself up onto my knees and peeped over the thick iron edge.
My body waved back at me from across the lawn. I instinctually tried to run to it but I couldn’t move. My feet were stuck in place. I looked down in horror at my green glowing form. I was a ghost! 
I hope you all enjoyed my little Halloween story. 

Now for the details of the contest:
***CONTEST is FOR ALL TRICK OR TREATERS worldwide: Answer the Questions: Do you like vampire stories? If so, what intrigues you about these creatures of the night?

LISA is giving ONE Ebook copy of WANTED: VAMPIRE (Free Blood) to one lucky commenter. CONTEST ENDS OCTOBER 17th at midnight. Lisa will post the winner's name in the comments. Good Luck!

                                     Blurb for WANTED: VAMPIRE ( Free Blood)
Three years ago, death blew out the candle in Alexis Hall’s life and left her devastated. Nothing could replace what she’d lost, not even the sexy stranger she awoke married to. Still, she finds it hard to ignore the dangerous sparks he triggers within her. She knows Bradley Cox took advantage of her. What she doesn’t know is he holds a secret that will change everything.
But Bradley isn’t her only concern. In a moment of desperation to somehow reclaim what she had lost, Alexis made an offer to a vampire––free blood. Her blood.
In a story of heartbreak and obsession, a simple ad changed Alexis' life forever and on one fateful night her dreams and her nightmares will collide. Can she trust Bradley? Or is he her worst mistake? Can she retract her offer to the vampire? Or will she fall under his deceptive spell?

PURCHASE A COPY OF WANTED: VAMPIRE (Free Blood) AT: Amazon
or THE WILD ROSE PRESS

FIND OUT ABOUT LISA RAYNS' latest news at her website. CHECK OUT HER blog, too.

19 comments:

LisaRayns said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks so much for having me today, Karen! Halloween posts are so much fun.

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Lisa,

I love Halloween, too!! Thanks for being a guest here for Wicked Haunt-o-ween!!

maeclair.net said... Best Blogger Tips

What a fun spooky story. Thanks for the Halloween treat, Lisa.

As for vampires, I'm more of a werewolf girl but I do like stories about vamps too. The quality that attracts me is the same as with a werewolf - - the conflict of not being able to control an innate desire. For a werwolf, it's the change into a creature at full moon. For the vampire the need for blood. There's no resisting the strength of either curse. I love that! :)

maeclair(at)maeclair(dot)com

Maddy said... Best Blogger Tips

Yes, Halloween is a great time of year. Love the Fall / Autumn / Winter, all the American holidays, too hard to resist.

Kathryn Knight said... Best Blogger Tips

Love vampires stories...sign me up, this one sounds great!

kathrynknightbooks(at) comcast (dot) net

Calisa Rhose said... Best Blogger Tips

What a fun Halloween story, Lisa! :) Yay for your release and Happy sales.

Nightingale said... Best Blogger Tips

Wanted: Vampire sounds like my kind of read! The premise seems very fresh and original.

Katrina Gillian said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Lisa,

I loved you Halloween story.

Do I love vampire stories? Of course I love them!! Anything from Dracula to the lovable romantic vampires like Nick St. John in Moonlight. I like JR Ward's vampires and of course Angel and Spike from the Buffy series.

Vampires intrigue me and all the vampire stories have a great background story as to how they became the creature of the night. I'm fascinated with that, too.

Your books sounds fantastic. Sign me up for the giveaway.

katrinagillian at yahoo dot com

Cathy said... Best Blogger Tips

Cute Halloween story.

Your books sounds really good.

Re Vampires: I really like vampires that are like Nick St. John in Moonlight. I like it if they have a bit of good side to them, too.

cnickol at verizon dot net

LisaRayns said... Best Blogger Tips

Thank you all so much for stopping by to enter.

Karyn Good said... Best Blogger Tips

What a great spooky story, Lisa! Well done.

LisaRayns said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks Karyn :)

Sandra Dailey said... Best Blogger Tips

I love your story! Just what I needed to put me in the Halloween mood. Decorations will go up today.
Good luck and great sales for Wanted: Vampire.

laurie said... Best Blogger Tips

What a fun Halloween story, Lisa! i can't wait to read it

parisfan_ca@yahoo.com

LisaRayns said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks girls! Good luck!

Be sure to add your email address if you want to enter.

bn100 said... Best Blogger Tips

I like vampire stories because vampires are alpha.

bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

katsrus said... Best Blogger Tips

Loved you short story. Love vampire stories. I like them cause they are mysterious and they are loyal to the one they love.
Sue B
katsrus(at)gmail(dot)com

Carriefort29 said... Best Blogger Tips

I love Vampire stories because the are so worldly, sensual, most of them are so violent, love the noting to (love the biting). I just loved then all!! They also kick booty!!

LisaRayns said... Best Blogger Tips

My son just drew the winner. Congratulations Kathryn Knight!