Monday, June 4, 2012

Anne Patrick's Wounded Heroes


Karen: Anne Patrick is a multi-published author of 'romance, mayham and faith'. Her tale Kill Shot in the Wounded Heroes Series has been nominated as a finalist in the 2011 Grace Awards in Suspense/Mystery/Thriller/Romantic Suspense category. Let's give Anne a warm welcome. Please feel free to leave a comment or ask questions. 

The inspiration behind Kill Shot and my Wounded Heroes Series by Anne Patrick

The idea for this series came from a conversation I had with a woman who had served in Iraq.  This took place about a year after her tour had ended. She told me it had taken her almost a year before she was able to go to church because of the things she had seen and taken part in during her service.  "I felt dirty," she said, and my heart broke for her. It made me think back to a time when I felt unworthy of God's love and forgiveness. We often times forget just how much He loves us and that He never forsakes us! After hearing this brave woman's story and learning of the trials many of our vets face as they return home this series was born. One of the biggest problems our veterans are dealing with is Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Sometimes just a loud noise, like the slamming of a door, can spawn a horrific memory from the war that paralyzes them.

As is the case with my heroine in Kill Shot. Kory was an army combat medic for twelve years. The sights and sounds of war have hardened her heart and left her with mental scares that prevent her from living a normal life. That's not her only problem though. 

Here's the blurb:

Former combat medic Kory Wagner has survived four war zones. Now she’s home and out of the Army for good and someone is trying to kill her in her own backyard. Just as disturbing is the handsome sheriff who’s on the case. Sheriff Sean Harding doesn’t quite know what to think of the decorated veteran that managed to outsmart an entire search party. What bothers him more is the body of a PI, whom she hired to find her sister's killer, was found dead in a building Kory owns. And Kory isn’t being very cooperative with helping him find the answers as to why someone would kill her sister and want her dead. Will he be able to keep her alive along enough to discover the truth? 

You can purchase the ebook from my publisher: Desert Breeze Publishing
To learn more about the series please visit my website: Anne Patrick's Website 

About the Author:
Anne Patrick is the author of more than a dozen novels of Romance, Mayhem & Faith including the award winning and bestselling FIRE AND ASH (LRC’s 2010 Best Thriller/Suspense winner and TRR’s 2010 Best Inspirational winner), SABOTAGE (recipient of a 5 heart review from The Romance Studio as well as a Sweetheart Award winner), and KILL SHOT (A finalist in the 2011 Grace Awards ). Her books have garnered four-star reviews from Romantic Times, 'Top Pick' and 'Best Book' honors from Night Owl Reviews and Long and Short of It Reviews, and Five-Heart reviews from The Romance Studio. When she isn't working on her next novel she enjoys spending time with family and friends, and traveling to foreign countries to experience new cultures and adventures. Born and raised in Oklahoma, she now makes her home in Kansas. 

9 comments:

Sarah J. McNeal said... Best Blogger Tips

I liked that you took the experience of a combat veteran and used it in your story, Anne.
A friend of mine served several times in Irag and Afghanistan at a medical evac center. She came back so changed I hardly know her.
Kill Shot sounds like an intense story. I wish you every success.

Anne Patrick said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks, Sarah. I of course asked permission. Actually only one of the experiences described in the book really happened to her, the others were figments of my imagination inspired by the various stories she and other vets shared.

Miss Mae said... Best Blogger Tips

War is hideous. I don't know how anyone can survive unscarred.

Anne is a gifted writer. I've read Kill Shot, and had no idea who the villain was until she revealed the identity!

Gail Pallotta said... Best Blogger Tips

I'm so sorry for the pain the war has caused many people. I hope the lady who inspired this book is doing well now.

I've read two books by Anne, both excellent, well-written stories.
This sounds like another good one for my TBR list.

Anne Patrick said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Gail and Miss Mae. Thanks so much for dropping by.

Tanya is receiving help for her PTSD and is doing very well, Gail. Thanks for asking.

Sarah Simas said... Best Blogger Tips

HI Anne and Karen!

Enjoyed your post immensely. Your Wound Hero series sounds like a fabulous read!

Best wishes for continued success!

Smile!,
Sarah

Cathy said... Best Blogger Tips

Your series sounds intense. More so to think you've based some of the story on true events.

Was it difficult for you write a story, knowing a someone actually went through this?

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Anne,

Sorry, I was so late stopping by. I've been hiding out in my writing cave. The sun has set and the dogs are sleeping beside me, so I thought I'd venture out. lol

I'm so glad you were able to join us today and tell us about your amazing story. Intense-- is a great description.

I wish you the very best success!

Anne Patrick said... Best Blogger Tips

Thank you Sarah and Karen!

Cathy, it was difficult in the sense that I wanted to get it right. I wanted Kory's memories and experiences to feel as real to the reader as they do to veterans who suffer from PTSD. That's hard to do if you've never personally felt those emotions. My heart really goes out to these brave men and women.