Thursday, March 22, 2012

A Sneak Peek into the Author's Mind with Gloria Davidson Marlow

Karen: Gloria Davidson Marlow is an author of romantic suspence. Sweet Sacrifices is her latest release with The Wild Rose Press and she's here today to tell us about the inner workings of her stories. Let's give her a warm welcome!  
Please feel free to leave comments or ask questions. She'd love to hear from you.

The Inner Workings of a Novel by Gloria Davidson Marlow

It’s always hard for me to say what inspired me to write a book, because I never can really pinpoint the answer. Sweet Sacrifices, like all of my novels so far, began with just one scene: a woman on a bus, a baby carrier beside her, and a crumpled letter bearing her husband’s last known address. This scene was followed quickly by another of her and the baby on a dark, dirt road, a truck pulling to a stop beside her, and in the soft glow of the overhead lamp, the face of the husband who abandoned her. Seconds later, she and I both knew it wasn’t her husband at all.

I’m not much of a plotter, so I’m never actually certain where the story will take me. Sweet Sacrifices took me down several different roads before finally becoming what it is today. When I began to write the story, it was set in the twenty-first century, but as it went along, I had the feeling that it didn’t quite fit here. For one thing, and this is certainly not to belittle the struggle of today’s unwed mother, women have so many more options for independence and self-reliance now than they did just a few years ago, and being an illegitimate child certainly doesn’t hold the same stigma it did back then. I plodded along, however, and it wasn’t until after I was finished the first draft, that I moved the characters from their awkward perch in the present and placed them in the midst of the Great Depression.

One of the driving forces and most difficult things for me to portray in Kendall’s story was the contrast between her life and her mother’s. As I wrote, I became increasingly attached to Lydia, Kendall’s mother, and I wanted the reader to see her as the sympathetic character that I did. Doing this without beating them over the head with it became my most difficult task.

The funny thing about a novel is how often the outer shell will change during the creation, but how similar the inner workings will remain. Regardless of what century it was set in or whether the background story was told in flashbacks, vignettes or dialogue, the characters in Sweet Sacrifices remained the same. Without Kendall’s hope-driven resilience and Luke’s persistent sense of responsibility, without all of the secondary characters being who they were, it would have been a completely different book. In fiction as in real life, people react to circumstances differently, and by doing so, they write their own stories.

As crazy as it may sound, I have to admit that as a writer, I put the story into words, but it is hardly my story. What inspired me to write it? A brokenhearted woman, a fatherless child, a man looking for the kind of love he’s never known, and the desire to make sure they found their own happily ever after.

About the Author:
Gloria Davidson Marlow was born and raised in Jacksonville, Florida. She married her high school sweetheart two days after graduation.

As a writer, she loves telling the story of a somewhat damaged heroine and a somewhat damaged hero who are ultimately a perfect match.

In the pages of her books, you'll find a great blend of romance and suspense, a dash of faith,  and a happy ending every time. 
Author's website:
www.gloriamarlowbooks.com

Purchase your own copy of Sweet Sacrifices at: The Wild Rose Press Amazon
**Available in Print and E-book.

3 comments:

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Gloria,

Thank you so much for coming by and sharing with us. I wish you the best with your new release.

Cathy said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Gloria,

I just had a chance to pop in.
Since I don't write, I find it fascinating how an author comes up with their stories.

Your book sounds good. :)

Sarah J. McNeal said... Best Blogger Tips

I'm a plotter but I have to say, that like you, I sometimes my story just wants to go in another direction. I have to stop and give mysef some distance for a while and chew it over then go back with a fresh mindset. I have scrapped many a first draft to redirect the story.
I'm writing a Great Depression era story right now. Ya know, I remember my parents talking about how hard that time was but, until I researched it, I had no idea of the magnitude of suffering and sacrifice people endured in those days. They had no unemplyment, no healthcare, no social security, no nada, nothing.