Thursday, March 15, 2012

Sneak Peek Into The Author's Mind: Loretta C. Rogers

Karen: Welcome to Sneak Peek into the Author's Mind. My guest today is Author Loretta C. Rogers from The Wild Rose Press. Find out what inspired her to pen the tale Forbidden Son.


Title: Forbidden Son
Author: Loretta C. Rogers
Website: http://www.lorettacrogersbooks.com
Publisher: The Wild Rose Press
Release date: March 9, 2012
Available in both print and ebook
Rating: Spicy
Page Count: 254
Print ISBN 978-1-61217-000-8
Buy Link to Forbidden Son from – The Wild Rose Press http://bit.ly/zShp1l
Buy Link to Forbidden Son from – Amazon.com http://amzn.to/z55cqh

Loretta: Forbidden Son a vintage romance with political overtones, is my first non-western romance. Actually, I was testing the waters to see if I could write in different genre. My intention was to write a sweet, homey, inspirational romance. However, my hero and heroine had different ideas. They wanted to have sex. Once I allowed the characters to dictate the story the plot took a totally different direction than my original plans for the book.
There are some weepy scenes, so tissues are a must-have. 

When I was writing the book, I was afraid it might not ‘fly’ because flashbacks generally aren’t popular with publishers. I’m so pleased that my editor, Nan Swanson, read the entire manuscript and saw the potential in the hero and heroine’s journey.

Blurb: High school dropout Honey Belle Garret never thought of herself as poor white trash—just poor. In the summer of 1964, her world changes forever when sinfully sexy and very rich, Tripp Hartwell III offers her a ride in his convertible. When Tripp proposes marriage, it is the happiest day of Honey Belle’s life. Then, unbeknownst to Tripp, dire threats from his father force Honey Belle and her family out of town and into silence. Hidden in another state, Honey Belle determines, successfully, to make something of herself. She keeps a scrapbook of news clippings about the young man she had to leave behind. Seventeen years later Tripp is not only a lawyer like his father but a Vietnam War hero and a United States senator. Before anyone can question the strong resemblance between him and a new congressional page, Honey Belle has to tell Tripp the truth. And he must come to terms with the knowledge that he has a son by the woman who stole his heart and then mysteriously disappeared.

Excerpt:
He towered over her, his stare drilling into her. His eyes seemed to capture her from hair to high-heeled shoes. Clearing her throat, she tried to appear businesslike.

“Have I changed so much that you don’t recognize me, Tripp?” This wasn’t at all the way she had rehearsed the scene in her head. She didn’t blink an eye—afraid any reaction might betray her uncertainty.

“Look, miss, I don’t have time for twenty questions. I meet a lot of people, if—”

She wanted him to remember, to remember her, to remember—what? That seventeen years ago she had walked away from him? That she hadn’t had the courage to stand up to his father and fight for her position in the life of the man she loved. That for sixteen years she had raised the son he never knew existed. She should never have left Tripp. So much guilt, for so 
many mistakes. She had no one to blame but herself.

She lifted her eyes to his. “Seventeen years ago, in Charleston, South Carolina, I asked you to take me for a ride in your shiny white BMW.”

The silence of the office closed in around her.
About the Author:


Loretta C. Rogers is a fourth generation Floridian. She lives in Citrus County, Florida, with her husband, Wayne. She shares her husband's love of motorcycles. When not writing, she and Wayne take road trips on their BMW touring bike. She says when on the motorcycle, her head fills with ideas. Of course, writing and reading rank highest on her to-do lists. Visit her website at: http://www.lorettacrogersbooks.com/index.htm

11 comments:

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Loretta,

Thanks so much for sharing your new release with us.

I know this is a new genre for you. Do you think you'll write another story in this genre or go back to the Westerns? Or pen tales for both?

Which genre did you find more challenging?

Cathy said... Best Blogger Tips

I love stories where the couple has a second chance to fall in love. This sounds really good.

So you write westerns, too. My favorite next to historical romance.

I'm always curious about authors and their characters.Do you have a favorite character in one of your books? If so, why?

Vonnie Davis said... Best Blogger Tips

I left a message earlier today, but Blogger musta ate it for lunch. I love your excerpt. Even though it's brief, it says so much. Can't wait to read this one. Much luck to you.

Katrina Gillian said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Loretta,

Your story sounds good. How did you like your book cover? Is it what you expected?

Is this full length story?

Ilona Fridl said... Best Blogger Tips

Loretta,

Your new book sounds like a winner. Believe me, I know you have to follow the characters when they dictate!

Loretta C. Rogers said... Best Blogger Tips

Karen, my apologies for not visiting on my debut date at KMN books. I was attending a writers conference in beautiful Pensacola. However, there was some type of atmospheric interference. Cell phones weren't working nor was the internet. To answer your question: First, I found writing the vintage romance much more challenging than writing westerns. Perhaps it's because of trying to make certain all the flashbacks transitioned smoothly. I have a few other non-western ideas floating around my brain. I love writing westerns, so I may switch back and forth between genres.

Loretta C. Rogers said... Best Blogger Tips

Hello Cathy, again my apologies for leaving your question hanging. Writing conferences are fun, but exhausting. But to answer your question. In "Superstition Trail" the western that released in December (Avalon Books), I love the hero, Ace Donovan, but Teaspoon McGriff, is a crotchy old cowboy with some savvy sayings. Teaspoon is my favorite character in "Superstitioin Trail."

Loretta C. Rogers said... Best Blogger Tips

Vonnie, you are a love for dropping by a 2nd time and leaving a comment. Shame on Blogger for lunching on your comment. Back cover blurbs aren't my favorite things to write, but in the case of "Forbidden Son," the blurb seemed to write itself.

Loretta C. Rogers said... Best Blogger Tips

Katrina--the graphic artist really captured the essence of the story plot. I especially like the way she incorporated the little red tricycle. I guess this is a long winded way of saying how happy I am with the cover of "Forbidden Son." Thanks for dropping by. I appreciate your comment.

Loretta C. Rogers said... Best Blogger Tips

IIona--I find if "I" try to write the book, the plot just refuses to gel. I've learned to step out of the way and let the characters take over. I appreciate your dropping by.

Loretta C. Rogers said... Best Blogger Tips

Kathy, thank you for debuting "Forbidden Son" on KMN Books. This is a wonderful service you are providing for authors.