Monday, February 6, 2012

Romance, Love Letters and Beth Trissel


THE CONTEST IS CLOSED. THE WINNERS ARE CATHY AND KATRINA! CONGRATULATIONS!!
 
Beth Trissel is a paranormal and historical romance author with The Wild Rose Press. She holds the title awards for: The Golden Heart Finalist, Double Epic Award Finalist and a Publisher's Weekly BHB Reader's Choice Best Books Award.  Not only does she pen wonderful romances charged with love and danger, she also writes informative posts about plants and herbs on her One Writer's Way Blog. (I love that by the way. )  Let's give Beth a warm welcome. Aren't her little friends adorable?

***Beth's running CONTEST, too. One lucky commenter will receive an e-book copy of INTO THE LION'S HEART.  READ On to find out how you may be a winner!  Contest ends SAT. FEB. 11TH AT 12:00 PM PST. 

Karen: Let’s start with you telling the readers a little about yourself.
BETH: Thanks for having me as your guest, Karen.  Married to my high school sweetheart, I live on a farm in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia surrounded by my children, grandbabies, and assorted animals.  An avid gardener, my love of herbs and heirloom plants figures into my work. The rich history of Virginia, the Native Americans and the people who journeyed here from far beyond her borders are at the heart of my inspiration.  In addition to American settings, I also write historical and time travel romances set in the British Isles.
Karen: Tell us a little about the story INTO THE LION’S HEART. What inspired you to write this tale?
BETH: My fascination with the past and those who’ve gone before us is the ongoing inspiration behind my work.  Most of my historical and light paranormal romances are set in America with the exception of Somewhere My Lass which includes the Scottish Highlands.  In my first English historical romance, Into the Lion’s Heart, I more deeply explored my British heritage.  Set in 1789 England, the story opens with the hero, Captain Dalton Evans (fought in the American Revolution) journeying to Dover to meet the ship carrying a distant cousin, Mademoiselle Sophia Devereux, who’s fleeing the French Revolution.  My research into the explosion across the English Channel made me aware of how many French émigrés fled the country during the initial year of the revolution.  Many were aristocrats, including the king’s own brothers.  Most all of the nobility who did not flee, while they still could, were guillotined during the subsequent reign of terror. But I wanted to focus on that first explosive year in this story.
Karen: Captain Dalton Evans arrives in Dover to meet his charge. What is his first impression when he meets Cecile Beaumont, the heroine of the story?  What are Dalton’s weaknesses? Strengths?

BETH: When Captain Dalton Evans first sees Cecile, whom he assumes is a distant French relation, he’s surprised by her lack of sophistication and the arrogance he anticipated from an aristocrat.  Dalton is a skillful strategist, hardened from years of war in America during the Revolution, disappointed both in his career and circumstances.  As the second son he didn’t inherit his father’s title and grand estate but his uncle’s rambling manor house in Cornwall along with financial challenges and an eccentric aunt.  But he isn’t easily defeated.  However, he’s rather moody.

Karen: Tell us about Cecile Beaumont. What does she think of Captain Dalton Evans and Thomas Archer? What are Cecile’s weaknesses and strengths? 

BETH: Cecile Beaumont is impressed by the brooding captain from the start.  Although his charming friend, the soon to be ‘Lord’ Thomas Archer, also has a certain draw.  Cecile’s appeal lies in her beguiling lack of artfulness, but this makes masquerading as an aristocrat a challenge.  Having suffered the initial volleys of the French Revolution, she’s tougher than many ladies her of era and has had to do actual physical work, so knows how to make do and think on her feet.  Her immediate goal is survival. 
Into the Lion’s Heart kicked off the new historical line the Wild Rose Press is debuting called Love Letters, the idea being that a letter must be responsible for bringing the hero and heroine together.
Blurb: As the French Revolution rages, the English nobility offer sanctuary to many a refugee. Captain Dalton Evans arrives in Dover to meet a distant cousin, expecting to see a spoiled aristocrat. Instead, he's conquered by the simplicity of his new charge. And his best friend Thomas Archer isn't immune to her artless charm, either.

Cecile Beaumont didn't choose to travel across the Channel. And she certainly didn't expect that impersonating her own mistress would introduce her to a most mesmerizing man. Now she must play out the masquerade, or risk life, freedom – and her heart.~

Karen: What are your current projects and works in progress? 

BETH: I recently signed with the Wild Rose Press for the third novel in my colonial frontier series, Kira Daughter of the Moon, the sequel to Native American historical romance novel Through the Fire, which will come out later this year.   Historical romance Red Bird’s Song, also with a strong NA theme, is the second novel in this series.   In the paranormal realm, I’m at work on the sequel to my suspenseful Scottish Time Travel romance Somewhere My Lass.

Karen: Tell the readers where they can find you: 
BETH:

Karen: Is there anything else you’d like to tell the readers? 
BETH: My stories range from full novels to novellas.  Some are straight historical romance while others have time travel, ghosts, or other paranormal twists.  The time periods run the gamut from the early 17th century Scottish Highlands, to Colonial America, with vastly different settings from the wealthy facet of colonial society to the rugged frontier and Shawnee warriors, to the Carolina backcountry during the American Revolution, to Georgian England and the French Revolution, vintage America in the early 20th century, WW1 and the Hippie Era of 1968, up to modern day...Bound to be something to suit you. 

***Contest: Beth is giving away the ebook of  INTO THE LION'S HEART in whatever digital format the winner chooses. All you have to do is leave a comment or ask a question. Don't forget to leave your email so Beth may contact you if should win. Good luck! 
 
Karen:  Can't wait? Purchase your copy at:
Into the Lion’s Heart is available from The Wild Rose Press, Amazon kindle, Barnes & Noble, and other online booksellers.

 Karen: Thank you so much for sharing  with us today! I wish you the very best!

9 comments:

Beth Trissel said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for having me on your lovely blog, Karen.

Cara Marsi said... Best Blogger Tips

Beth, a great interview. I love the picture of you. Your book sounds terrific. Congratulations on all your awards.

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Beth,

This morning Facebook let me announce your post. It's being picky. I guess they loved your furry little friends. lol They're so cute.

Beth Trissel said... Best Blogger Tips

LOL. Glad facebook approves. :)

Mona Risk said... Best Blogger Tips

Very nice interview. Into The Lion's Heart sounds like my kind of historicals. I'd love to win it. LOL

Katrina Gillian said... Best Blogger Tips

Interesting interview. I love the cute kitty and doggie. The Lion's Heart sounds really good.

mysweetpirate at yahoo dot com

Cathy said... Best Blogger Tips

Looks like I might be too late for this one, but I don't see a winner. :)

Your story sounds really good.
I'll have to check out the other stories in the Love Letters line, too.

Thanks for sharing.

cnickol at verizon dot net

Beth Trissel said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks guys! You are not too late because I forgot to post a winner. Absentminded writer that I am. To make amends I'll post TWO.

Katrina and Cathy!

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

CONGRATULATIONS CATHY AND KATRINA!!

Beth,
Thanks again for being a guest. I wish much success!!