Monday, December 26, 2011

The Holiday's Over. What Now?


Miriam Newman is the author of heartfelt historical romances and adventure-filled science fiction tales. She's joining us today to share her new releases from DCL Publications. Let's give her a warm welcome. She'd love to hear from you. Feel free to leave a comment or ask a question.   
A CHRISTMAS THOUGHT by Miriam Newman

So, OK, the big holiday is over.  The presents are opened, the dinner eaten and perhaps your tree is a little lopsided if, like me, you have a puppy.  Well, she’s in housetraining, so it could be worse.  I count my blessings that she’s a “she” and not prone to lift a leg.  My last puppy chewed up all the Christmas ornaments along with the wrapping paper, cards and ribbon all carefully stored in my attic.  I even tell the story in one of my books, Dancer Dog.

Another of my books is Season of Love, a Christmas anthology brought out a couple of years ago by DCL Publications.  There are stories by Kate Hofman, Bill Haworth, Susan Blexrud and me.  They’re all good stories, otherwise we wouldn’t have included them, but for the purposes of this post I’m going to consider my own.  For the first time, at my publisher’s request, I tried writing science fiction.  I hadn’t done it before and was pleasantly surprised at the outcome, Peace on New Earth.

In my story, colonists from a future Earth have left their overcrowded planet for the freedom and challenges of life on the planet Megasta.  That life is literally hanging by a thread.  Despite their massive technological achievements, the colonists have still been outwitted by Mother Nature which has brought along their ancient, inherent susceptibility to the measles virus which has spread to the indigenous population like a virtual plague.  The natives, a nomadic people not too far past their planetary equivalent of our Stone Age, are beginning to die and they don’t plan to go down peacefully.  In a last ditch attempt to preserve lives and fragile peace, med-techno Janelle attempts to successfully immunize a tribal chieftain, Aron, who has offered himself for the experiment in hopes of saving his people.  This is a romance, after all, and of course you can guess at the outcome.  World peace and a love affair.  Sappy stuff, perhaps, but after all it is the Season of Love.

Aron is a sensitive and intelligent man even if he does still like a good spear for bringing down wildlife.  He is impressed by the technology of the colonists, believing from what he sees that they are capable of almost anything.  So when Janelle tells him that she envisions a future in which their people will live together in peace, he responds, “If you see it, I believe it may be so.”  Such a simplistic statement…or is it?  If we see peace, can we not achieve it?  We have “seen” the atomic bomb, the first Moon landing, the cures for major diseases—things no one a hundred years ago thought were even remotely possible.  If we SEE peace clearly enough and with a powerful enough vision, can we fulfill Aron’s simplistic yet profound belief that seeing a thing can make it so?  In this Season of Love, what do you think?   

Fantasy poetry driven by myths and legends has been Miriam’s passion for as long as she can remember.  She was published in poetry before catching the romance writing bug.  She brings that background to her writing along with a lifelong addiction to horses, an 18 year career in various areas of psychiatric social services and many trips to Ireland, where she nurtures her muse.  Her published works range from contemporary fantasy romance to fantasy historical, futuristic, science fiction and historical romance.  Currently she lives in rural Pennsylvania with a “motley crew” of rescue animals.  You can view her books at www.miriamnewman.com.  

12 comments:

TheBookFormatter said... Best Blogger Tips

fatAs a book formatter, I always admire the authors because of their creative mind, stitching words to come up with a good story. Honestly, I have not read any of Miriam's authored books, just because I took an off for the holidays, that's why I got the chance to lurk the web and saw this post. 'Peace on New Earth' is interesting based on the synopsis written on this post. Whenever possible, I'll grab a copy of this.

TheBookFormatter said... Best Blogger Tips

As a book formatter, I always admire the authors because of their creative mind, stitching words to come up with a good story. Honestly, I have not read any of Miriam's authored books, just because I took an off for the holidays, that's why I got the chance to lurk the web and saw this post. 'Peace on New Earth' is interesting based on the synopsis written on this post. Whenever possible, I'll grab a copy of this.

Cathy said... Best Blogger Tips

Miriam,

Thanks for sharing your new books. Now that Christmas is over, I might have a chance to read.

I hope you have a Happy New Year.

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Miriam,

I'm so glad you could come by and share your stories with us. I've enjoyed your historical tales and your sci-fi ones as well. I'll have to check out your new stories.

TheBookFormatter-- Thanks for joining us on your day off. I'm sitting at me desk,enjoying my cup of coffee as I browse the Internet. No one is up, but me and my doggie, Jack. It's a nice way to start the day. :)

Hi Cathy,
It's always a pleasure having you join us. :)

Jacquie Rogers said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi, Miriam! Your stories are so intriguing! One of my resolutions for 2012 is to get back to the enjoyment of reading. Sometimes we get so caught up in promo, editing, writing, etc., that we forget the joy that brought us to this business in the first place. I've said a hundred times that I'm going to pick up your books and I've only bought one--well, now I am going to read it and pick up some others, too.

Best of luck to you and Karen for a prosperous and enriching 2012!

Jacquie

Miriam Newman said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks you, everyone, for your comments. And special thanks to Karen for being my hostess! I think Christmas is helpful to a lot of us in terms of having a little free time and reconnecting with the joy of reading. If I can add to that, then I have done my job...and done what I love most. Happy New Year to all.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Hey Miriam - I was glad to find you here, and to remember how much I like all your books. Single-handedly, you made me like historicals, by writing The Comet.
No one has ever written a more adorable hero than NĂ©el.
Anyone who reads this - buy, borrow or steal a copy of The Comet, you'll thank me.

KATE HOFMAN

Miriam Newman said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks, Kate. I know a couple of the ladies on here saw The Comet pre-natally, so to speak. I think they agree with you. That was the one that took me full-blown into writing historicals. What a trip!

Susan Blexrud said... Best Blogger Tips

I was privileged to participate with Miriam in Season of Love, and I LOVED her science fiction story. As she mentioned, it's not a genre she typically writes, nor is it one I typically read, but this was a delightful and very romantic tale.

P. S. I was glad to hear your tree survived the holidays this year, Miriam.

Miriam Newman said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks, Susan. Yes, the tree was charmed this year. Knocked over once by the cat, but survived. As I mentioned in Dancer Dog, my pit bull ate all the Christmas ornaments, but kind friends gave me replacements. So this year I had a tree--with a shamrock topper. In the dining room with my mother's menorah. Yep, only in this house.

Denise said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for talking about your books. I love them both myself after reading them. Books is a great thing to buy for the new year! I already started. Stocking up!

hotcha12 said... Best Blogger Tips

THANK YOU FOR SHARING AND ADDING TO MY LIST!