Monday, October 10, 2011

Interview with Eden Baylee



 Eden Baylee is an erotica author who pens tales from the heart. Let's give her a warm welcome. Comments and questions are always welcomed.


** Contest: Two Readers will have a chance to win copies of Eden Baylee's new release. Read on and find out how. Sorry, this contest is for 18 yrs and older only.

Eden, why don't you tell the readers a little about yourself:

Karen, thanks so much for having me on your blog. I’m a former Canadian banker who quit my job after twenty years to pursue writing full-time. In February 2011, I launched my first book.
 
Your new release, Fall into Winter is an erotica anthology with four tantalizing tales. Tell us a little about the stories.  

Two of my stories take place in the fall and two in the winter—thus the title.  Here’s a synopsis:

In “Seduced by the Blues,” Ella trades self-control for a stolen moment of unbridled passion with a younger man. She’s left wondering if he could become more than just a boy toy.

“Act Three” explores Stella’s desire for a ménage à trois with two men. Though her fantasy comes true, she finds herself excited and terrified in ways she never imagined.

In “The Norwegian,” Leah isolates herself in a cabin to complete her latest book, but she’s soon distracted when she reunites with a man from her past.

Finally, “The Austrian and the Asian” spans ten years in the life of Elena and Stefan following the end of a torrid love affair in Austria.

 What inspired you to write the tales? Are any of the affairs of the heart based on true experiences?

I love the format of the short story and felt it would be the ideal way to give readers a taste for my writing style.

Ha! Yes, each story has a snippet of a personal experience, but more than that, I’d say each female character has something of me in her. I write for strong, independent women, so every character reflects these traits.

I love women who are headstrong and fearless, have an adventurous spirit, and though they are sometimes vulnerable, they are never weak.  Most women will know what it feels like to be all of these things—it’s what makes them so wonderful and complex!  

 Why erotica romance? Was it difficult for you to write the explicit love scenes?  

What attracts me about erotica and romance is how it makes me feel when I write it. It’s a sensual experience for me, not an intellectual one.

I don’t believe explicit love scenes are any more or less difficult to write than explicit death scenes for a horror author. The overriding criteria has to be relevance to the story and the ability to convey the scene in a realistic manner. Erotica is not just explicit scenes strung together. Like all stories, the requirements for strong characterization, plotlines, and pacing are paramount.

The most difficult element about writing a love scene for me is choosing the right words. There are only so many words to describe the male or female body parts and only so many positions they can get into. It’s important to make the correct word choices or the story will seem more parody than erotic.

What do you find most rewarding about writing? 

Writing is an opportunity to be creative in a medium that I love. I’ve always adored words, reading, and wordplay. I find language to be infinitely fascinating, and English is the one I have greatest fluency and fun with. To be able to use my imagination to fabricate stories that people enjoy is what gives me the greatest pleasure. 

What are your current projects and works in progress?  

Spring into Summer is my second book, and it is also an erotic anthology with four stories – two that take place in the spring, and…you guessed it, two in the summer. I hope to have it out by year-end or early 2012. After that, I’m switching over to full-length novels—dark erotica/thrillers in the style of John Fowles, one of my favorite authors.
  
Ultimately, the most important thing for me as a writer is to continue learning, and to do that, I have to constantly challenge myself.
 Tell the readers where they can find you:

The easiest way to find me is via my website at www.edenbaylee.comhttp://www.edenbaylee.com

I also maintain a very active blog where I write about music, promote authors & books, & post erotic stories. It’s http://edenbaylee.wordpress.com

From my blog or website, readers can connect to me on Twitter and Facebook as well. I’m always available to chat, so feel free to contact me.
 Is there anything else you’d like to tell the readers?

Yes, firstly, my thanks to you, Karen, for your kind invitation to your blog. You’ve been a gracious host, and it’s been lovely chatting with you.

Secondly, I’d like to invite all readers to comment—2 commenters will win a coupon for a free ebook of Fall into Winter. Just be sure to include your email address or I won’t be able to contact you. I’ll draw for the winner October 16th and personally email you.

As my site is adults only, I’ve chosen not to post an excerpt here on your blog Karen, and I appreciate your invitation to do so. Readers are more than welcome to visit my Books page on my website to read an excerpt. There, they will also find links to all the sales sites such as Smashwords, Amazon, Barnes and Noble, etc.



15 comments:

Eden Baylee said... Best Blogger Tips

Karen, thanks so much for inviting me to your site. It was lovely meeting you.
eden

Junying Kirk said... Best Blogger Tips

Lovely interview, Eden & Karen. It's always a treat to learn a little more about the erotic Eden :)

I won't need your book, as you know, I'm a massive fan and have had the pleasure of reading it already.

Best of luck to the winner - can't recommend it highly enough!

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Eden,

It was nice to meet you, too. Thank you for sharing your new release with us. :)

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Junying,

Thank for coming by and saying hi and telling us how much you enjoyed Eden's book. It does have me intrigued. :)

Eden Baylee said... Best Blogger Tips

Junying, you're a doll, thank you - ADORE.
eden
xox

Jacquie Rogers said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi, Eden! Good to see my Menage A Blog buddy here at Karen's place. :) I loved the interview and wish you the very best success.

Cathy said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Karen and Eden!

Eden,

I love my stories to have a good relationship or at least a connection before they jump into bed. I'm glad you feel the same.

I love the romance--erotic and sweet, but it really bugs me when some author have the hero and heroine jumping into bed as if they needed a filler for the book.

I'm not a writer so I'm always confused with what the difference is between erotic and erotica stories. Can you explain it?

Your stories have me intrigued. I enjoyed the book trailer, too.

Eden Baylee said... Best Blogger Tips

Jacquie! Menage a blog friend and cowgirl extraordinaire - great to see you too, and thanks for dropping by!

eden

Eden Baylee said... Best Blogger Tips

Cathy, thanks for your comment, and I feel the same as you about the importance of a good connection between characters.

Sex in a vacuum is not erotic, romantic, nor would I consider it erotica. I've been called a romance author who writes with strong erotic elements because the language of my stories is stronger than your "classic Harlequin Romance." I've also been called an erotica author who writes with strong romantic themes. I'm not much for labels, so I rarely pay attention to this.

My main concern is to write a story that is realistic, and create a situation between my characters that is believable. That , of course, includes believable sex scenes. In real life there is foreplay, and so there should be in fiction as well. Foreplay in fiction builds suspense and engages the reader. A reader should be looking forward to reading about the sex long before the scene ever happens.

Hope that answers your question, or feel free to email me if not. eden (dot) baylee (at) rogers (dot) com.

I've written on this topic before and can point you to a few articles if you wish.

Thanks for stopping by to support me and Karen.

eden

Jason Darrick said... Best Blogger Tips

Eden, you leave your intelligent and smouldering mark yet again.

Karen, a fine presentation of a truly deserving author. Well done.

Eden Baylee said... Best Blogger Tips

Jason, thanks for stopping by on Karen's site...which reminds me, gotta come visit you.

;)
eden

desitheblonde said... Best Blogger Tips

wow thank you for doing the post me i can read any any book and all book i would be happy to read and blog on it all over
desitheblonde@msn.com

Eden Baylee said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for your comment desitheblonde.

eden

Eden Baylee said... Best Blogger Tips

Congratulations to Cathy and Desitheblonde for winning copies of Fall into Winter by commenting here. I have emailed you the details on how to get your book.

Karen, thanks again for having me on your site. Of course you get a copy as well for hosting me. I appreciate your time and helping authors get visibility.

eden
xox

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Eden,

Thank you so much for being a guest on my blog. I can't wait to read your book!!

Congratulations to the winners: Cathy and Desitheblonde!