Monday, September 26, 2011

Lilly Gayle's Behind the Scenes of Her Vampire Tale, Out of the Darkness


Lilly Gayle's vampire tale Out of the Darkness, was the 'top pick' at Night Owl Reviews and received 'five hearts' at The Romance Studios

Lilly is here today to give us an exclusive behind the scenes of this action-packed and thought provoking vampire tale. Let's give her a warm welcome. Comments and questions are always a welcomed.

Karen: Why don’t you start with telling the readers a little about yourself. 

Lilly: I write paranormal and historical romance because love’s an adventure no matter the century. In June 1980, I married a man I met in a bar eighteen months earlier. We have two beautiful daughters. Our oldest is married to a soldier and lives in Germany and our youngest recently graduated from UNC School of medicine’s radiation therapy program.

When not reading or writing, I work at a local hospital as a radiologic technologist and mammographer.

Karen: What inspired you to pen a vampire tale?

Lilly: Dean Koontz’s character, Christopher Snow from the Moonlight Bay Trilogy.

Karen:  I loved the stories with Christopher Snow by Dean Koontz. Fear Nothing and Seize the Night. Unfortunately, we Ride the Storm was never completed. I wish he would. :) 

Karen: Are your vampires of legends?

Lilly: Yes. Vampire legends fascinate me.

Karen: Can they be killed with a stake? 

Lilly: Yes. But the stake has to be driven into the head or heart and left and not removed. When those vital organs die, the vampire dies.

Karen: How about sunlight? 

Lilly: A vampire blisters and burns in sunlight. If he doesn’t escape, he erupts into flames and dies.

Karen: Give us the back story to your plot.

Lilly: Dr. Megan Harper is a research scientist searching for a cure to xeroderma pigmentosum (XP) the genetic light sensitivity disorder that killed her sister. But when she is asked to research vampires, she quits her job and moves home to Clarksville. Vincent Maxwell is a vampire with a conscience seeking a cure to his dark hunger. But when his friend and fellow vampire is captured and killed by Megan’s former boss, Vincent goes to Clarksville to see what Megan knows.

Karen: Does society accept and know about vampires or are they still in the ‘coffin’ so to speak? Lol

Lilly: Most mortals are oblivious. But a rogue military officer looking to create unstoppable soldiers for the military hires Megan’s boss to research vampires. And Dr. Weldon kidnaps Vincent’s friend for his sinister experiments.

Karen: Tell us about Vincent Maxwell, the hero of the story. What is he like?

Lilly: Dark and brooding. The typical alpha male vampire. But he’s also loyal and loving—a tortured hero.

Karen: What are his weaknesses and strengths?

Lilly: Faster than a speeding train, stronger than 20 men, but with all the physical limitations of a traditional vampire.

Karen: What is his first impression when he meets Dr. Megan Harper? 

Lilly: He’s suspicious of the beautiful doctor. He uses his credentials as owner of a blood and tissue bank to gain her trust. He pretends he has XP to gain her sympathy.

Karen: Tell us about Megan, your heroine of the story. What are her weaknesses and strengths? 

Lilly: Megan is smart and has a heart of gold, but she feels guilty because in her words, she’s just one chromosome away from having the same genetic condition as her sister. Megan suffers from survivor’s guilt. And she’s desperate to find a cure forXP.

Karen: What is her first impression of Vincent?   

Lilly: Tall dark and yummy. She also pities him because she thinks he has XP. But she can’t understand how he’s managed his disease so well. His skin shows no signs of sun damage and he has no scars.

Karen: What are your current projects and works in progress?

Lilly: I’m working on the sequel to Out of the Darkness—tentatively entitled Into the Light. But that sounds like such a cliché, I’m not sure if I’ll keep that title or not.

Karen: Tell the readers where they can find you:


Karen: Where can the readers purchase your vampire tale?

Karen: Is there anything else you’d like to tell the readers?

Lilly: Support your favorite authors. If you like a book, write a brief review on Amazon. If you don’t like it, please don’t bash it or the author who wrote it.

Karen: Lilly, thank you so much for sharing with us today. I enjoyed learning more about your vampire tale.  


Enjoy an Excerpt:
Vincent didn’t spare her a second glance as he opened the basement door and stepped down.

The sound of his boot heel striking wood echoed up the steps as he disappeared into the darkness.

“But—” Megan switched on the light and hurried after him.

“The first thing you need down here is a table and some chairs,” he said when he saw the stacks of unorganized data and reams of paper scattered across the floor. “Do you mind if I bring the ones down from the kitchen?”

“No.” She turned back toward the stairs. “I’ll help you bring them down.” It would give her something to do while she sorted through the confused thoughts and emotions tumbling around inside her head.

Vincent touched her arm and heat shot straight to her belly, turning her insides all warm and fuzzy.

Warm and fuzzy was not good.

Warm and fuzzy made her think of more than just heated sex. It made her think of cozy evenings snuggled up under a blanket and shared feelings. It made her long for an emotional connection she couldn’t risk. Not with Vincent.

Not with a man who could potentially die a slow, lingering death.

“I’ll get it.” He let go of her arm and stepped back. “You start going through those papers and find that report you wrote comparing XP to vampire myths and legends. I’d be interested in seeing if you still have it.”

He turned to go back up the stairs and Megan shivered. Why had Steve mentioned the vampire report to Vincent? And why was Vincent so interested in seeing it?

Vincent the Vampire.

14 comments:

Lilly Gayle said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for showcasing my book today, Karen. What fun questions.

rbooth43 said... Best Blogger Tips

I couldn't put down Lilly's book, OUT OF THE DARKNESS, an amazing read. The plot turns, the familiar settings and the sexual scenes between Megan and Vincent were a fantastic, a can't put down read and the surprising ending was superb with supporting characters such as a compelling vixon (Sonia), and a best friend (Tina). Of course, as an added attraction there were very chilling villains.
Lilly also has another book that is also amazing, SLIGHTLY TARNISHED, a thrilling Victorian romance. I enjoyed the characters, the settings, and the plot immensely. What a blast I had reading this book also.
Lilly has a new book, Wholesale Husband coming out on 9/28/11 from The Wild Rose Press. I know this book will be a great read, too.
Lilly is one of my favorite authors! Be sure to check out all three books, if you want a great, enjoyable read!

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Lilly,

Thank you so much for sharing. Your book sounds really good. I have it on TBL.

rbooth43,

Thanks for coming by and letting us know how much you enjoy Lilly's books. :)

LaVerne Clark said... Best Blogger Tips

I too LOVED this book. Lilly is such a talented writer. Lilly - I know you're still grappling with the sequel and I promised myself I wouldn't say this - but HURRY UP WOULD YOU!! ; ) hehehe.

Seriously though - I can't wait to read it.

Lilly Gayle said... Best Blogger Tips

Wow, Becky, you're like my very own publicist. Thanks for the praise. And LaVerne, if it wasn't for that thing called the day job, I might have finished the sequel by now. lol!

Cathy said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Karen!

Hi Lilly,
I enjoyed the post and meeting a new author. The story has me intrigued.

I have a question for you. What is your favorite Vampire movie?

Lilly Gayle said... Best Blogger Tips

Cathy,
I loved The Lost Boys. I think I've seen it 3 or 4 times. I know the vampires in this one are vicious, but poor Michael, he did not want to be a creature of the night.

I also liked the first Blade. It got kind of silly in the sequels but the first one was pretty good.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi everyone!

Lilly,

I'm so glad I stopped in to see what was happening.

I love vampire stories. I'll have to get this one for my Kindle.

I love the Lost Boys, too. My mom and dad were the ones to tell me about the movie. I'm glad they did.
Have you seen Fright Night (The new release) It was really good. I heard the '80s' version wasn't so hot.

Katrina N.

Cathy said... Best Blogger Tips

I remember Lost Boys. I liked it, too.

I liked the Underworlds.

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Cathy and Katrina.

The Underworld films are my favorite! I can't wait for the new one to come out.

Lost Boys-- Yep, gotta love it. Kiefer Sutherland was really young. Heck, so was I when it first aired. lol

Lilly Gayle said... Best Blogger Tips

Karen, Keiffer and I are about the same age...or maybe I'm a bit older. lol! Katrina, I haven't seen the remake of Fright Night. Since watching the True Grit remake, I hesitate to watch another. I loved the original with John Wayne. The remake was kind of rambling. But I liked the first fright night. There's a bedroom scene where a female vampire transforms and her mouth gets so freakishly big it's hilarious. I think the original was intended to be a spoof, and since I have a warped sense of humor, I liked it.

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Lilly,

I saw the second Fright Night, too. It was spoofy. I kind of liked it. lol

I'm about Keifer's age, too. Just shy of 1/2 a century as my son likes to point out. lol

P.L. Parker said... Best Blogger Tips

Great review Lilly! I love vampires and books sounds terrific. I heartily agree with your comment about not bashing the author. I can't understand why someone feels the necessity to leave a bad comment. If you don't like it, someone else does!

Lilly Gayle said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks Patsy. I hate giving a book anything less than a 3. Most of the time, even if I don't like the way a book ends (Message in a bottle) I still enjoyed the "ride."