Monday, August 1, 2011

Guest Author Melisee Aires Shares her Experience with Writing In a Multi Author Series


Melisse Aires, author of fantasy, futuristic and paranormal romances is here today to discuss her process in writing in a multi author series. Take it away Melisse.


I’ve written two stories in the Del Fantasma paranormal romance series from Aspen Mountain Press. I am one of more than a dozen authors who have written in this series and stories continue to release regularly. There is a great variety in the stories-- some are m/f, some are m/m-- but some elements must remain the same.

All the stories are based on a bar called the Del Fantasma located on the beach in southern California. It is owned by a good-looking vampire, Cody Warren, who also bartends. Each book is titled after a drink served in the story. Cody is quite the matchmaker with his magical drinks!

To write for this series an author needs a copy of the ‘bible’ which tells the rules of that world, which they can get from Aspen Mountain Press. The writer needs to keep within the scope of the world but still have unique characters and plot.The bible gives background, descriptions, names, locations etc so that the books have a common 'world'.

Before I wrote my first Del Fantasma I bought several of the books and I enjoyed them. After I studied the bible, story ideas started to brew as I searched cocktail websites for drink names. Ideas finally jelled and I submitted Del Fantasma: Tiger Juice, which later was contracted.

It was so much fun I decided to do it again! Del Fantasma: Demonade came out just in time for Halloween.

I still search cocktail websites for great drink names, and may have another Del Fantasma up my sleeve! I have great affection for the series and have been thrilled to be a part of it.

Every time a new Del Fantasma story comes out I gobble it up—and as an author I sell a few more copies than normal with each new release! For me it s a win–win situation. Also an advantage to a writer—the series has a built in readership, so your name reaches readers who might not otherwise pick you up.

I encourage authors to not be intimidated by a series bible—your imagination can take flight within that world!


In celebration of the Aspen Mountain Press 5th Anniversary, I'm thrilled to be part of a four book bundle, a great value to readers, and a fun introduction to the Del Fantasma:

M/F Del Fantasma

Demonade, Melissa Aires

Tiger Juice, Melissa Aires

White Russian, Selena Illyria

Choc Snake Bite, Selena Illyria

Total 13.99

20% 2.80

Bundle price—11.00

Del Fantasma M/F tales to keep your summer nights hot.

When Melissa Aires and Selena Illyria spin tales of hot and magic in the Del Fantasma bar, the temperature heats up all over the world. Belly up to the bar with Demonade, Tiger Juice, White Russian and Chocolate Snake Bite from our fans' favorite line.

Remember to use the product code at check-out for your discount!
Product Code: DELO107
Also, check out my blog, http://melisseaires.blogspot.com for Contest Info!


6 comments:

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Melisee,

Thanks you so much for coming by today and sharing with us. I love the idea of choosing a drink and writing a story surrounding it.

What made you choose your drinks? What intrigued you about them?

Melisse Aires said... Best Blogger Tips

I searched cocktail recipe site, knowing I was going to write a paranormal story. I looked at cocktail names and tried to think of a paranormal situation or character. With tiger juice, I thought of a shifter story--my hero is a white tiger shifter. My heroine was a fundamentalist prairie-cult type escapee.

When I saw the drink named demonade I was pretty excited. I eventually made a psy-vamp heroine who is actually a descendant of an ancient German water/fertility god. Hero is an ex-priest w/a church background in demonology.

It is amazing how many drink names refer to something magical.

Cathy said... Best Blogger Tips

I'm not an author, so I'm always amazed how you come up with your ideas.

Melisse,
Your books sounds really good. I'll have to check them out. :)

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Melisse,

That's really cool. No, I didn't realize how many cocktails' names referred to something magical. Interesting.

I love the concept of these stories.

Muhammad Arsalan said... Best Blogger Tips

Superb blog i like it thanks for sharing.

Raheem said... Best Blogger Tips

Great job nice.