Monday, August 15, 2011

Enter The Wolf Man by Mariposa Cruz



Mariposa Cruz is an author at The Wild Rose Press. As a kid, she loved to watch monster movies on Saturday afternoons and wanted to tell those stories from a woman’s perspective. She's all grown up now and she's made her wish come true with her paranormal romance, Howl.

Mariposa is here today to talk about those wonderful werewolf movies that inspired her.

Enter The Wolf Man by Mariposa Cruz

“Every man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night

May become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.”

The Wolf Man (1941)

Even with its debut following the attack on Pearl Harbor, The Wolf Man (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034398/) Universal Pictures’ 2nd werewolf movie, became one of the largest grossing movies of the season. The film had a budget of approximately $180,000 and a working title of Destiny. While fate was key to the plot, audiences were captivated by romantic tension between the nobleman, Larry Talbot and Gwen Conliffe, an antique dealer’s daughter.

The screen writer, Curt Sidomak, wrote the werewolf poem, recited by the villagers throughout the film. The Wolf Man established much of the werewolf lore that would appear in later novels and movies such as:

· A werewolf bite dooms the victim to become a werewolf

· Werewolves can only be killed by silver

· Werewolves revert to human form upon death

Due to the popularity of the Wolf Man, Universal had Lon Chaney Jr. ( http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001033/ http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001033/) portray Larry Talbot in four more films, including Abbott &Costello Meet Frankenstein (1943). Chaney’s acting debut was at age 6 months as a stage prop in his father’s vaudeville act. With a career that spanned nearly four decades and included more than 150 film credits, Chaney Jr. was the only actor to play, the Wolf Man, Dracula, Frankenstein’s monster and the Mummy.

Fun Facts:

The “wolf” Larry Talbot fights was Lon Chaney Jr.’s own German Shepherd.

Chaney Jr. liked to sneak up on his leading lady, Evelyn Ankers, in full make-up and startle her.

Shooting for The Wolf Man lasted from October 27 to November 25, 1941. The movie was released December 12, 1941.

I believe these classic films helped establish horror as a genre in its own right. For a modern werewolf tale told from a woman’s point of view, check out Howl.

As if Kate Owens doesn't have enough problems as a struggling single mom and paralegal, a brutal animal attack outside her office plunges her into turmoil. At work, she is attracted to her rescuer, Jack Walker, an attorney wary of commitment. Every morning after the attack she awakes drenched in blood beside the body of a mangled stray. Kate's days become a battle to maintain control while her nights are a disturbing blur of dreams. Will Kate's nightly madness harm her young daughter? Lone wolf attorney, Jack Walker understands the reason for his paralegal's exhaustion and haunted demeanor. Jack has pursued the beast since law school graduation and he knows the creature's relentless thirst for revenge. Can Jack save Kate from her attacker and her own savage nature?


Howl is available from The Wild Rose Press:

http://www.thewildrosepress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3921

If you love shifters, monster movies and romance visit Mariposa’s Musings:

http://mariposacruz.blogspot.com/

Mariposa, thank you so much for sharing with us today!

15 comments:

Mariposa Cruz said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Karen,

It's been fun chatting about shifters with you. Thanks for inviting me!

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Mariposa,

I'm so glad you could visit. I love chatting about the shifters with you, too. :)

Cathy said... Best Blogger Tips

Hello Karen and Mariposa!

I have a question for Mariposa. Why werewolves? Why do you find them sexy enough to give them the romantic lead in your story?

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Mariposa or any of the Readers:

Do you like the new Wolman movie starring Anthony Hopkins and Benicio Del Toro or the Lon Chaney 1942 movie?

Sarah J. McNeal said... Best Blogger Tips

I loved all those fun facts and interesting historical notations.
I wish you much success, Mariposa.
Loved your blog.

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Cathy,

So nice to see you here. :)

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Waving to you Sarah!!

I enjoyed the facts, too. :)

Cate Masters said... Best Blogger Tips

I don't think I've ever seen the original Wolf Man, though I'd like to. I recently read Dracula out of curiosity's sake and found it very interesting. I'm a bigger fan of shifters than vamps though.

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Cate,

I also read Dracula out of curiosity. I enjoyed the read, but I found parts of the story seemed to lag, almost as if it were a rough draft.

Now, when I read Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, I couldn't put the book down. She penned a brilliant tale.

To think the story came about because she was talking with Percy Bysshe Shelley, Lord Byron, and John Polidori, and they decided they would have a competition to see who could write the best horror story. After thinking for weeks about what she could write about, she dreamt about a scientist who created life and was horrified by what he had made. Frankenstein was then written. She was only eighteen when she started it and only twenty one when it was first published.

If I had to chose between a vampire and a shifter, I'd go with the shifter, too. :)

Mariposa Cruz said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Cathy,
I've always been drawn to the dual nature of shapeshifters--they're more driven by primal impulses. Though if Eric Northman appeared at my door, I'd invite him in!

Mariposa Cruz said... Best Blogger Tips

Sarah,
I enjoy watching and researching classic horror movies--they're so much fun. Thanks for stopping by!

Cate,
I'm with you, I prefer my heroes warm-blooded. Always good to see you.

Karen,
I read Frankenstein way back in high school-both the tale and the backstory are amazing!

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Hey Mariposa!

Yeah, I wouldn't turn Eric Northman away either. lol But give me Alcide any day.

Mariposa Cruz said... Best Blogger Tips

Ahhhhhh, True Blood, Being Human even Teen Wolf...so many sexy supernatural beings. And some people wonder why paranormal continues to be popular--they don't know what they're missing!

StephB said... Best Blogger Tips

I remember watching The Wolf Man in the 70's on Saturday afternoons as part of "Creature Double Feature" that's how I came to be attracted to the paranormal. Howl was a great read. I loved how you brought the humanity out in the characters.

Smiles
Steph

Mariposa Cruz said... Best Blogger Tips

Hey Steph,
Great to see you. I also spent plenty of Saturday afternoons with monster movies. I'm thrilled you enjoyed Howl's characters-I have a follow-up story in the works.