Monday, July 25, 2011

Interview with Gabrielle Bissett

There's nothing better than romancing your dark side with a sensual erotic tale. Let's give paranormal author, Gabrielle Bisset a warm welcome! Ask her a question or leave a comment, she'd love to hear from you.




Karen: Gabrielle, why don't you tell the readers a little about yourself:


Gabrielle: I’m a college history professor by day and an erotic romance writer by nights and weekends. My first novel, Stolen Destiny, is out now from Siren Publishing, and I have two novellas, Vampire Dreams and Love’s Master, out now too. I live in Pennsylvania with my son and five cats (I’m a sucker for stray kitties.)


Karen: Your new release is Stolen Destiny. Tell us a little about your tale. What inspired you to write the story? How much research went into it?


Gabrielle: I woke up one morning last summer after having a very vivid dream and the idea of Aeveren was in my head. Aeveren are the race of people I created for the Destined Ones Series, of which Stolen Destiny is the first book. They live fifty lives through reincarnation, carrying their memories of their past lifetimes with them as they move through their reincarnation cycle. They also have destined ones, other Aeveren they are drawn to across distance and time, and some Aeveren have powers, such as telepathy, teleportation, mind control, and even the ability to manipulate time.

As Stolen Destiny is a paranormal erotic romance centered around a type of character I created, it took a while to flesh out the main structure of the Aeveren world. Also, since each character can remember their past lifetimes and their pasts are often showcased in flashbacks, I had to research to make sure the historical details of each flashback were accurate.


Karen: Tell us about Callia. What kind of woman is she? What does she like about Varek? What doesn’t she like?


Gabrielle: Callia is the girl next door. She’s sweet and kind, and she loves children and animals. She’s never had a destined one in the six lifetimes she’s lived before, so she’s begun to wonder why. She finds Varek’s darkness appealing. Because he’s spent time in Nil, he’s guarded and unsure he wants to take a chance on love again. Once she realizes how she feels about him, her strength of mind helps her focus on her goal of showing him that destiny was correct in bringing them together.


She doesn’t like that he’s stubborn, however. That’s probably because she’s stubborn, and that always causes conflict between two people.


Karen: What does she think of Amon?


Gabrielle: Callia sees Amon as the opposite of Varek. Later, when she finds out that he’s very manipulative, she regrets caring for him, but that’s just her nature. She’s a kind soul.


Karen: What kind of man is Varek? What does he like about Callia? What doesn’t he like?


Gabrielle: Varek is a man whose past haunts him. He made a terrible mistake that harmed not only him, but his first destined one and their baby girl, and he can’t forgive himself for that. He’s spent time in Nil, so he’s not trusting, but he can’t help but let his guard down with Callia because she is so open and kind from the moment they meet.


Varek loves Callia because she shows him how to love again. Before her, he had spent three lifetimes alone and had told himself he deserved that. Just a short time with her and he wanted to love again.


What he doesn’t like about her is that she’s as stubborn as he is. He’s not used to people standing up to him after three lifetimes in Nil.


Karen: What are your current projects and works in progress?


Gabrielle: I’m currently finishing edits on the final novella in the erotic romance trilogy set in Victorian England. Masquerade will be released in late August and will join Vampire Dreams, a paranormal erotic romance, and Love’s Master, an historical with a dash of BDSM. In addition, the sequel to Stolen Destiny, entitled Destiny Redeemed, will be released this fall. It’s been through first edits, and I’ll be returning to do more editing after Masquerade’s release. Finally, I’ve begun a novel about Vasilije, the villain in Vampire Dreams. That’s in the very early stages, so readers can look for that possibly early next year.


Tell the readers where they can find you:


Gabrielle: Readers can find me at my blog at http://gbisset.blogspot.com/, at my website at http://www.gabriellebisset.com/, on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002481284652&sk=info, and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/#!/gabriellebisset


Karen: Is there anything else you’d like to tell the readers?


Gabrielle: I love to hear from readers, so please feel free to visit me at any of the above places or drop me a note at gabriellebisset@gmail.com

PG13 Excerpt:

Varek returned to the orphanage at six o’clock and sensed instantly as he turned the doorknob on the orphanage’s front door that she was there. He closed his eyes, steadied himself, and entered the building, darting his eyes left and right to look for her.

Jessica Anders greeted him and took him into her office, closing the door behind her. “Please sit down. Now that I know you are working for the Council, I’m happy to help.”

Taking a seat, Varek began. “Has anyone spoken to the children before they arrived here? Maybe Family Services?”

“Family Services? Just how long have you been in Nil, Varek?”

He sat stonily as she reminded him of the reality of the Aeveren and human worlds.

“It’s been a very long time since we Aeveren had to deal with human governmental agencies. We may not have an Aeveren in the White House yet or one of us in the state house currently, but we have people in power and always have. Family Services is a human entity.”

“I guess that explains how an orphanage can exist in this day and age.”

“Exactly. Whether they know we exist or not, they see this place as somewhere that’s always been here, always been a place for children who had nowhere else to go. It’s been my experience that humans don’t spend a great deal of time on things that don’t seem to concern them. And even if they did ask, the mayor and other important people in New Hope are Aeveren.”

“Others? Any police? That would be a huge help.”

“No, unfortunately, none of the police are Aeveren, but the coroner is, a man named Gene Dizer. He should be able to give you some information.”

“Is there anything else you can tell me?”

Jessica handed him a folder he saw contained the addresses of the families the murderer had attacked.

“These may help you. I wish I had more.”

As Varek stood to leave, Jessica stopped him. “Please do all that you can to stop this madman. I know why you were sent to Nil, but I also know you were a policeman before.”

Varek simply nodded and said good-bye as he quickly flung open her office door to see Tia standing there, her green eyes wide and staring up at him. She reached up to grab his finger again and smiled as she said his name.

In an instant the forces of Aeveren biology took over and presented him with his destiny.

“Tia? Where are you, sweetheart?” a female voice called down the hall. In just five words, Varek’s life changed.

Gabrielle, Thank you so much for joining us today! I wish you the very best!

6 comments:

Gabrielle said... Best Blogger Tips

Thank you for having me at your blog today, Karen. :)

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Gabrielle,

I'm so glad to have you here today. Your books sound fascinating.

I love your book cover. I'm always interested in knowing, was the book cover how you imagined it to look? Did you have any say in the design?

Teresa K. said... Best Blogger Tips

Gabrielle,

This was a great interview & blog. I love the excerpt and I can't wait to read your new book.

Wishing many sales for you in your writing career.

Teresa K.
tcwgrlup41@yahoo.com

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

I really enjoyed reading your interview, Gabriella. Your writing is very unique and refreshingly different. Keep up the good writing:)

Your Biggest Fan!

Cathy said... Best Blogger Tips

I don't always comment, but I do enjoy how we get to learn more about the author's characters.

Gabrielle,

I find it amazing how authors create a whole new world. How do you keep track of where the buildings, forests and whatever else is in your world? I'm curious.

Gabrielle said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks Karen! The book cover came out very much how I wanted it to. I was very thankful that the artist at Siren, Jinger Heaston, took all my ideas into consideration. I filled out a very detailed questionnaire and asked that all three of the main characters be present in some fashion, along with the idea of a clock because Amon can manipulate time and the villa in Italy because that's where part of the story takes place.

Thank you so much Teresa for the wonderful comments. And Anonymous, thanks!

Cathy, I found the idea for a "series bible" a while ago, and I use something like that. I'm always concerned with the histories I've given the characters. For instance, in the next book in the Destined Ones series, Amon's story, I had to make sure I was true to the history I began in Stolen Destiny. He's had 47 lifetimes and I'd referred to a few in the first book, so I had to make sure in Destiny Redeemed that I kept my lifetimes straight! LOL It can get confusing when your characters have multiple lifetimes each. :)