Monday, July 18, 2011

Interview with Amie Louellen

Amie Louellen has won several awards for her writing including: First Place in TARA’s First Impressions Contest, the Central Ohio Fiction Writers’ Ignite the Flame Contest and North Houston RWA’s Lone Star Writing Competition. She’s here today to tell us about her new release Brodie’s Bride. Let’s give her a warm welcome! Don't be shy. Ask her questions. She'd love to hear from you. :)

Karen:
Thank you for joining us, Amie. Why don't you start with telling the readers a little about yourself:




Amie: I grew up in the deep South, but I now live in Oklahoma with my husband and son, a really old cat and an incredibly fat beagle. When I’m not at the ‘day job’, doing someone’s laundry, or taxiing the little man to baseball or guitar practice, I carve out a piece of my day to put on the paper these people who live in my head. I guess you could say I’m an avid reader, but I also enjoy gardening, counted cross stitch, swimming, and pretty much anything else that can get me out of doing housework! I’m a Virgo, I love tacos, and I’m shamefully addicted to anything Harry Potter. Please don’t ask me how many times I’ve read the series, it’s embarrassing! LOL

Karen: Your new release is Brodie’s Bride. Tell us what inspired the story?

Amie: I find that music is a great inspiration. There’s an old country song by Shelly West called “Jose Quervo”. It’s an upbeat song about going out and over indulging. One chorus in the song says, “Now wait a minute
Things don't look to familiar
Who is the cowboy who’s sleeping beside me
Well he's awful cute
But how'd I get his shirt on?
I had too much tequila last night”

What would happen if my heroine went out and ended up in bed with a man she didn’t know. And what if they had gotten married…in Vegas? But this is a romance and there are certain rules. That’s when the Muse takes over and says, “How can I write this story and make it work for a romance?” And Brodie’s Bride was born.

Karen: Savanna Morgan married a man she didn’t love. Why would she do such a rash act? What kind of woman is she? What was her first impression when she met her husband to be?

Amie: Savanna is desperate. All she has ever wanted is her father’s approval. Her father wants her to marry Parker Kilgore, but Savanna doesn’t trust Parker and with good reason. Savanna is very spoiled. She is accustomed to having everything she’s ever wanted. And she has a lot of growing up to do. Brodie is her way out of an impossible situation—a very handsome way out!

Karen: Brodie Harper has his own reasons for marrying Savanna. Gives us some insight to why. What kind of man is he? What’s his first impression of Savanna?

Amie: Brodie has been abandoned by every woman he has ever loved (or so he believes). His mother, his ex-wife…He wants what everyone else has—lasting love—but he doesn’t think it’s for him. After a little too much tequila, his defenses are down and his real desires and needs surface. Before he knows what hit him, he’s in front of the Justice of the Peace with Savanna at his side. Brodie is a good man. He’s family oriented and has sacrificed a great deal to ensure that his grandmother and aunt—the women who raised him—are well cared for. As for his first impression of Savanna…Well, he thinks she’s a hooker!

Karen: Oh, no he didn't. lol Talk about awkward.
Would you ever marry a man you didn’t love if the circumstance called for it? Would you marry Brodie?

Amie: I think I would marry a man I didn’t love if the situation called for it. Luckily I got to marry my soul mate and the hero of my own love story. (Don’t swoon too much. He’s also the bane of my existence and a total PITB, but I wouldn’t know what to do without him! J) I would DEFINITELY marry Brodie. I mean he’s…well, you’ll just have to read the book to find out. But shhh…don’t tell my husband I said that!

Karen: Don't worry, your secret is safe with me.
You also create book trailers. About how long does it take you to create one? How can authors contact you if they would like one made?

Amie: The longest process of making the trailer is finding the pictures. That’s also the most fun part as well. Once the pictures are found and the music is set, it doesn’t take long depending on the length of the trailer. Of course I have to work around my writing schedule and the day job, so each project varies. If anyone is interested, I can be reached on my website www.amielouellen.com. The trailers I have made are also posted there. Or they can email me at amielouellen@gmail.com.

Karen: What are your current projects and works in progress?

Amie: I just signed my second contract with TWRP for a manuscript currently titled Love Potion Me, Baby. (Yay!) It’s the classic story of girl meets boy. Boy drinks shampoo and falls in love with girl. Girl marries boy and the next morning he can’t remember her name. Standard stuff! LOL

Karen: Congratulations on your second contract! How exciting!
Tell the readers where they can find you:


www.amielouellen.com
www.amielouellen.wordpress.com/

www.facebook.com/pages/AmieLouellenAuthor

amielouellen@gmail.com

And on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/AmieLouellen

@AmieLouellen

Karen: Is there anything else you’d like to tell the readers?

Amie: Oh, gosh…I would like to tell everyone that I’m currently waiting on an offer and contract from a Christian publisher on an Amish romance series that my agent pitched to them. It’s totally different than Brodie and Love Potion, but it’s a great story complete with a tortured hero and a poor little rich girl. Cross your fingers, please, and maybe I’ll get the contract this week! J

Thanks for allowing me to take your blog for my own sinister purposes!

Karen: You're very welcome!
Now enjoy Amie's book video production!




17 comments:

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Amie,

Thank you so much for being my guest today!

I have a question: Was your book cover how you imagined it would be for Brodie's Bride?

Vonnie Davis said... Best Blogger Tips

Karen, lovely site. Amie, great interview. Your book sounds like a winner. I love stories where people are thrown together and find themselves drawn to one another in the process. Much success to you.

Caroline Clemmons said... Best Blogger Tips

Amoe, BRODIE'S BRIDE is a wonderful romance. And I love your sense of humor in your interviews. Keep up the good work.

Cheryl Pierson said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Amie,

I love your trailer! I have never (and would never attempt)made one--I'm not that "computer savvy"-- you did a great job. Love the premise of your book(s). Keep us posted on the Amish romance--I'm not sure I could ever write one of those (my guys tend to curse a LOT). LOL Karen always asks great interview questions--I enjoyed this. Just wanted to pop over and say hi from one Okie to another--I thought y'all were headed off on a road trip.
Hugs,
Cheryl

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Vonnie,

Thank you so much for coming by and saying hello. Amie's book has caught my interest, too. :)

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Caroline,

What a wonderful compliment. Thanks for coming by and saying hello.

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Waving to you Cheryl,

Thanks for coming by and saying hello. Book covers are an art, and Amie does a wonderful job. :)

AJ Nuest said... Best Blogger Tips

AMIE! I had no idea you held all those award titles! You've been holding out on me!! Well, in retrospect maybe not. No wonder. Brodie is such a great story, I'm not suprised. To anyone who hasn't read it, I HIGHLY recommend Brodie's Bride. Loved the trailer and the interview! And Karen, your blog is beautiful. I want IN! Hugs to you both!

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

AJ,

So glad you could join us. Amie, is one talented lady. :)

Sarah J. McNeal said... Best Blogger Tips

First, congratulations on your awards. That's amazing.
I like what you said about music being your inspiration. Me too.
I absolutely love the concept for Brodie's Bride.
I wish you every success.

Sarah Grimm said... Best Blogger Tips

Great, now I'm singing Jose Quervo. Badly, of course. :-)

Just thought I would stop by and say 'hi' before running off to find my sexy husband...I think after 11.5 hours at work I deserve dinner out, don't you?

BTW, why didn't you fess up about those awards of yours, Ames? So awesome!

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Hello to the Two Sarahs! Thanks for coming by!

Amie would have never told us about those awards, I had to hunt for the info. hee hee

Amy said... Best Blogger Tips

Thankfully, Karen, my cover is dang-near identical to what I had imagined! I LOVE all that sexy read satin! :)
Vonnie--me too! I adore getting couples married before they're ready. makes for some interesting moments! :)
Thanks Caroline! Hopefully my books are just as humorous! :)

Amy said... Best Blogger Tips

Hey, Cheryl! Just got back mid week last week. Had a great time! Brodie's trailer was the first one I ever made. I still adore it, but I've learned so much since then! As for the Amish, it's a whole different ball of wax, but it was great fun. It is a true romance (not just fiction) the couple just happens to be Amish--well, *he* is, she's what they call an Englisher. And it's set in Oklahoma--of course!

Amy said... Best Blogger Tips

Okay, that's it! I'll post a complete list of my titles and awards including "Supa Sta" and Squirrel Princess! :) Coming to my blog soon! :)
Thanks AJ and Sarah G--who always have my back! And yes, Ms. Grimm, dinner out sounds like a fine idea! :)
And thanks to you, Sarah Mc! I really appreciate you coming by. It's funny how music can bring those thoughts of a character. I can't hear Lie To Me, but Johnny Lang without thinking about Brodie and Savanna! :)

Amy said... Best Blogger Tips

Karen! Thank you so much again! And for any late reader out there, if you want to know more about Karen come by and visit my blog Wednesday! There's some great stuff gonna be on there! :)

harshadpassion said... Best Blogger Tips

Great interview, Amie, and Karen, you have a lovely site. :) I see that you love Harry Potter, Amie, so I wondered how that might inspire your writing. Do you have an plans to write either a fantasy novel/fantasy romance or a YA novel in the future? Best wishes always and great success to you!
Julianne