Monday, June 13, 2011

Interview with Miranda Stowe


Miranda Stowe is here today to tell us about her tantalizing new release, Caught in Heat. Let's give her a warm welcome!


***Contest: Miranda will be giving away an e-book copy of Caught in Heat. Read on and find out how you can win!


Why don't you tell the readers a little about yourself :

I’m a pretty dull girl that lives in the middle of a corn field, across the road from a cow pasture, in Kansas with my husband and daughter. To keep from going crazy of boredom, I write steamy erotic romance of the paranormal, contemporary, and suspense variety. It helps pass the time!


Without giving too much away, tell the readers about your new release, Caught in Heat. How did you come up with the idea for the story? Do you follow any shifter legends? Give us the back story.


Tag line : When her first mating heat hits, only one man can appease the ache. And that pretty much says it all!


I don’t really follow in Shifter legends, sorry. The idea for this story came from an assortment of stories I’ve read.


In Stroke of Midnight by Sherrilyn Kenyon, the shifter heroine goes into heat the shifter hero sniffs her out. I thought that was one of the most titillating scenes I’d ever read. Years later, I still wanted to read more of them like that…so I wrote one.


The shifter hunters ideas came from one of my critique partner’s stories. I loved that concept too. So I mixed and matched, and changed things, and asked what if, until I had a shifter falling in love with a hunter, which I’ve never seen anywhere before. From all that, Caught in Heat was born.


Shaw Griffin is the hero of your tale who wants to take out the entire shape shifting race. Besides his obvious grudge, what kind of man is he? What is his first impression when he meets Riley Bane?


When Shaw first sees Riley, she’s in human form, so he thinks he just caught a human in his trap. But then he sees her try to shift into her animal and realizes the truth. From then on, he wants to hate her, because he hates all shifters on principle—they called his family, after all—but he’s too fascinated and ends up only wanting to love her.


He’s a pretty intense, protective guy. When he learns he’s been wrong about something some of the beliefs he’d had for for fifteen years, though, it’s a big wake up call.


Tell us a little about your heroine. Does she like humans? What is her first impression of Shaw?


Riley’s father was fully human, so she’s only half shifter herself. But she grew up in a shifter’s environment, so pretty much the only humans she knows about are hunters, like Shaw, who kill her kind. Still, it’s that human side of her that makes her seek out a haven when her heat approaches. She doesn’t want to fall prey to her animal instincts just because her hormones are a little out of whack—okay, a lot out of whack!

Since Shaw is a hunter, she’s initially afraid of him, but she’s also so desperate, it doesn’t seem to matter what he is, as long as he helps her through her misery, which is what he does.


Will this story be part of a series, if so how many books will there be and will the reader need to read them in order?


Caught in Heat is Book One in my Half-Breed Shifter series. Book Two, Dreams of Wolf, sold to Cobblestone and will be available one of these months. DOW is about the nanny to Shaw and Riley’s triplets (which are born about nine-months after Caught in Heat plays out). Someday I plan to complete stories for the triplets themselves.


Do you have a favorite reference book or favorite website?

Charotte Dillon’s Resources for Romance Writers is always a helpful place to visit. http://www.charlottedillon.com/WritingRomance.html.


What are your current projects and works in progress?

While ideas for Shaw and Riley’s children are forming in my head, I’m working on an erotic romantic suspense series called The Snatcher Series. Book One, Taken by a Killer, recently sold to Liquid Silver Books.


Tell the readers where they can find you:

Website & Blog : http://mirandastowe.blogspot.com/

GoodReads : http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4741738.Miranda_Stowe

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Miranda-Stowe/100002055561651

Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/mirandastowebks

Is there anything else you’d like to tell the readers?

Thanks so much for having me here.

***Contest: Leave a comment or ask Miranda question and you'll be entered in the drawing. It's that easy!

Excerpt:

She would not let the fever consume her. She’d prevail. She’d find the sanctuary and—

The ground under her hind leg gave way. Riley twisted to compensate and pull herself free of the hole, but sharp teeth clamped around her ankle, biting all the way to the bone.

She howled. Her earsplitting yet scratchy cry that pierced the night could no doubt be heard by every predator within a five-mile radius. Not that she cared. The agony was brutal.

As her body went into distress, she shifted into her natural shape, and the hairy paw caught in the trap turned into a smooth, human female foot. Naked, drenched in sweat, and panting, she curled into the fetal position until she could focus past the pain.

She needed to free herself and escape as quickly as possible before every curious creature in the forest found her exposed and vulnerable. And ripe for the feasting. She tried to shift back into her animal, gritting her teeth and straining, but it was useless. The pain immobilized her.

The only good thing about remaining human was that she had fingers that worked.

She reached down in the dark, fumbling for a latch to release the spring. Moaning as each move dug the razors deeper into her ankle, she patted the cold metal trap until she found a hinge. Her fingers investigated the area. When she discovered a padlock preventing her from pulling the metal jaws apart, she whimpered, fear clogging her windpipe. This was no simple animal trap. It had been specifically designed to catch and keep prey with a functioning brain and working fingers.

Prey like her.

Someone was hunting shapeshifters. And they’d caught one.

Thank you so much for being here today and sharing your new shifter story with us! Karen :)

6 comments:

Miranda Stowe said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks again for hosting me, Karen. And thanks for reading my interview, everyone else!

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Good morning, Miranda!

I'm so glad to have you here!


Good morning, readers! Don't forget to grab your favorite beverage and come back and join us. :)

Cathy said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Karen and Miranda,

I thought I'd come by and meet a new author.

Miranda,

I really like your book cover. I'm one of those people who have to like the cover first before I even look at the book.

I have a question for you. When you first wrote your erotica story, were you afraid what your friends and family would think when they read it?

I'm not a writer, but if I were, I don't know if I'd want my mother to read it. lol Does that sound silly?

Miranda Stowe said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Cathy!

To be honest with you, the only family member I've told about my erotic romance stories is my husband. So heck yeah, I'm too scardy cat to tell people I actually know about "those" books. My other, tame books are under a different pen name and my mom still says she won't read anymore with bedroom scenes in them.

It doesn't sound silly at all.

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Cathy,

The question doesn't sound silly. If I wrote an erotic tale, I don't think I'd tell my relatives I wrote one either. lol

Miranda,

So is the tale an erotic story or an erotica story? Could you tell the readers the difference. :)

Miranda Stowe said... Best Blogger Tips

The difference?! Ack, I don't know if I'm too much of an authority here.

But as far as I know, I write erotic romance where the sexy stuff is just as important as the romance (with a happily ever after or happy for now ending). I think Erotica is just sexy stuff where romance isn't so important.