Monday, May 2, 2011

Interview with India Drummond


Let's give a warm welcome to Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Fiction Author, India Drummond!


Tell the readers a little about yourself:

I knew from age nine that writing would be my passion. Since then I’ve discovered many more, but none quite so fulfilling as creating a world, a character, or a moment and watching them evolve into something complex and compelling. I have lived in three countries and four American states, am a dual British and American citizen, and currently live at the base of the Scottish Highlands in a village so small its main attraction is a red phone box. In other words: paradise.


Without giving too much away, give us a teaser about your new release, Ordinary Angels.

Ordinary Angels is urban fantasy / paranormal romance novel in which Zoe Pendergraft falls in love with an angel, frees a soul from necromancers, releases a ghost trapped in the Void, and saves his living grandson from demons.

Most of Zoe’s friends are dead, but she doesn’t mind because they died long before she met them. Then one Tuesday night an angel takes her salsa dancing and turns her world upside down. Grim reality closes in when she discovers a body in her company’s boiler room and Higher Angels accuse her best ghost friend of murder. Knowing she’s the only one who can stand against them, Zoe resorts to lying, stealing and summoning. In the end, getting blood on her hands forces Zoe to question herself.

Tell us about the heroine of the story, Zoe Pendergraft. What kind of woman is she? What does she long for?

Zoe is a regular girl, if you don’t count the fact that she sees ghosts. This includes her grandmother, whom she lives with. As things start to get strange in Zoe's life, which happens as soon as she meets Alexander, she tries her best to do the smart thing, but it isn’t always clear what the smart thing is.

Tell us about the angel who loves to salsa dance. Why did he seek out Zoe?

Alexander met Zoe by coincidence. He was trying to save the life of a postman, and so he took his route for a day. This led him to the office where Zoe worked. But from the very first time he saw her, he could tell she wasn’t exactly normal, so he wanted to find out what it was that set her apart from other humans.

What inspired you to write this urban fantasy/ paranormal romance?

I’ve always loved fantasy. I like epic, otherworldly, and urban contemporary fantasies. And romance is natural to me. I think the desire to fall in love is a basic human experience everyone can (or wants to) relate to. Even my stories that aren’t classed as “romance” have something of that element in them. I can’t imagine a human story that isn’t, even in a small way, a love story.

What are your current projects and works in progress?

I’m just finishing up my next release, Blood Faerie. It’s an urban fantasy set where I live, in Perth, Scotland. It’s about a serial killing faerie and the cop who tries to stop him. He’s aided by a mysterious and beautiful outcast faerie, and they discover that they have a surprising connection neither of them anticipated.

What genre inspires your writing?

Although I write fantasy, I read just about any genre. I like crime and thrillers, contemporary romance, sci-fi, suspense/adventure. The only genre I really don’t care for is horror, but that’s because I’m a big baby when it comes to things that are truly disturbing.

Tell the readers where they can find you:

Author website and blog: http://www.indiadrummond.com/
Facebook Fan Page: http://www.facebook.com/india.drummond.author
Twitter: http://twitter.com/IndiaDrummond
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4662278.India_Drummond

I’m pretty active on the social networks. I love the fantastic community of readers and authors that I’ve met online.

Is there anything else you’d like to tell the readers?

If you’d like to have a sneak peek at Ordinary Angels, you can read the first chapter here:

http://www.indiadrummond.com/my-fiction/ordinary-angels/ordinary-angels-first-chapter/

I know there are many choices out there when it comes to books these days. I am grateful for all of the readers who have taken a look at Ordinary Angels. It’s gotten some fantastic reviews, and I find it thrilling to hear readers’ thoughts about the book. Feel free to look me up on Twitter and Facebook! I look forward to hearing from you!


Thank you so much for sharing with us today. Ordinary Angels sounds fascinating. I can't wait to read it.



4 comments:

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi India,

Thanks so much for coming by and sharing you wonderful story with us. I can't wait to read it. :)

Cathy said... Best Blogger Tips

Hello, India and Karen.

Enjoyed the post. It looks like angel stories are becoming popular.

Do you feel like it may be a start of a trend?

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi India,

I love the angel stories. Have you ever seen Gabriel starring Andy Whitfield? It's a dark story, but I loved it.

Will this book be a part of a series?

Katrina

You're Faerie story sounds good, too.

Deniz Bevan said... Best Blogger Tips

Fun interview! I agree on the romance bit - it's always exciting to have that element in any story. Zoe's story sounds so exciting!