Monday, May 16, 2011

Interview with Emma Lai


For those who like their romantic tales both titillating and sexy, you'll want to check out Emma Lai's new release, Twice is not Enough.


Emma, why don’t you tell the readers a little about yourself.


Writing keeps me sane. Characters demand their stories be told and nag me incessantly until I comply. The characters are very insistent I remain faithful to their individual adventures. As a result, I write a range of genres and levels of heat. I never know what the next set of characters will demand!


Give us a sneak peek at Twice Is Not Enough.

After several disastrous engagements, Lady Minerva Peters is an expert at suppressing her own needs. Only in the darkness of night does she give in to her wanton desires with a fantasy lover.

In the middle of a crowded ballroom, she learns her father is not yet ready to let her fade into spinsterhood. Humiliated, she ducks into a dark alcove only to find out she's not alone. Her hiding spot is occupied by a captivating stranger. Before she can escape, the two become voyeurs to another couple’s sexual rendezvous. The atmosphere heats up and so does her body, especially with the tempting offers whispered in her ear.

Will Minerva deny her needs once again or will she embrace the anonymity of their seclusion and finally explore her basic impulses and the startling attraction to the compelling mystery man?


What kind of woman is Lady Minerva Peters? What is her first impression of the mystery man in the alcove?


Lady Minerva Peters is a typical woman. She loves her family and strives to do what is right by them--sometimes to the point of neglecting her own happiness. That’s what is so appealing about the mystery man in the alcove, she can indulge her own wants and desires, put herself first for once. The scene isn’t about him, but her. She already has a picture in her head--that of her fantasy lover--so she doesn’t need to know what the man looks like, only that he’s there for her.


Without giving too much away, can you tell the readers about the hero of the story? Would he be a man you’d like to be with? What is his first impression of Lady Minerva Peters?


William is a wealthy, American merchant with a younger sister, who is a target for fortune hunters. As a dutiful brother, he can’t let her hare off with a man who only loves her for her money, but as an indulgent brother, he tries to find ways to soften the blows--like by indulging her passion for horses. But, he is distracted from thoughts of business and his sister, the first moment he sees Lady Minerva Peters across the ballroom. All he can think about is indulging himself.


William might come off as a bit gruff and overbearing, but he’s driven by his duty to and love for his family. He’s also a man who isn’t afraid to pursue what he wants. So, yes, he’s definitely someone I could be with.


What made you decide to start a blog and what do you write about?

Two reasons. First, to promote my first book, His Ship, Her Fantasy. Second, to help promote fellow authors. Sometimes, I provide brief snippets into my life as a writer, but mostly I focus on spotlighting other authors. I vary the interviews depending on different topics that strike my interest. Recently I’ve asked about the writing process, but I’m also spotlighting memorable secondary characters in the coming months.


From Twice is Not Enough, the memorable secondary characters are the lovers being spied upon in the library. The couple obviously has an interesting history. I’ve been playing around with the idea of writing their story. Though, I’m also tempted to write the story of William’s sister--she’s never actually seen in Twice and that feels wrong somehow.


Do you have a favorite reference book or website?

Since I don’t write one time period or genre, I don’t have just one favorite book or website. Whatever area or time I’m targeting, I check my library to see if I have anything on the topic. (I have a degree in international relations, which studies history and culture and the impact on politics, so my library is full of history and cultural books.) If I need more info, then I hit the internet and Google to search for relevant information online.


What are your current projects and works in progress?

I have quite a few works in progress since I have to get scenes out of my head before they drive me crazy. However, once the initial scene plays out, stories often sit on the hard drive. I had two projects going, one romantic suspense and one contemporary erotica, but I recently abandoned the suspense. So, if I’m in the mood to write erotica, I’m working on the contemporary. If I’m in the mood for something else, I’m revisiting stories on my hard drive to see if one speaks to me.


What genre inspires your writing?

I read across genres: science fiction, fantasy, paranormal romance, contemporary romance, historical romance. I also read a lot of books on history and political thought. Never know where I might find something that sparks a story idea.


Tell the readers where they can find you:

Website: http://www.emmalaiwrites.com

Blog: http://emmalaiwrites.blogspot.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/emmalaiwrites

Twitter: @emmalaiwrites


11 comments:

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Good morning readers!
Hello, Emma!

Thanks so much for coming by and sharing your wonderful new release. It does sound intriguing.

I have a question for you.
When you write, do you like silence or do you prefer to write to music?

Emma Lai said... Best Blogger Tips

Karen, thanks for hosting! Sorry to hobble in so late. Went to the beach yesterday and refused to listen to my husband and wouldn't wear shoes, so am paying for my sins with blistered feet. *Sigh*

I need background noise to write. Music is nice if I'm trying to get in a particular mood, but a movie or t.v. show is good. For music, I have a mix of songs. For movies, I like romcom or action. For t.v. shows, I prefer dramas.

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Emma,

So sorry about your feet. Ouch!

Noise to work, huh? I need silence to concentrate. TV or music going in another room is okay, but it can't be too loud or I become distracted.

Emma Lai said... Best Blogger Tips

Silence is only useful to me if I'm having problems concentrating. I get lonely and noise helps me feel like part of something...even if I'm only on the fringes.

Sarah Grimm said... Best Blogger Tips

Ouch! Take care of your feet, Emma. I hope they feel better soon!

I don't know how you can write with background noise...too distracting for me. {not that I've had any time to write lately} Unfortunately I haven't had time to read lately either, or I'd have gotten to Twice is Not Enough! I think I'm going to have to start taking my laptop to work and reading/writing during slow times.

Karen, I didn't mean to ignore you. How are you?

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Sarah,

I'm so glad you could stop by. I have to sneak in reading and writing time these days, too.

I take my laptop to work and write before I go into work and at lunch.

At least it's something. :)

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Emma,

You have one of your books available in an audio book. His Ship, Her Fantasy, which I really enjoyed by the way.

Have you listened to it? If you have, does it seem strange to have someone read your work?

Emma Lai said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi, Sarah! Why does life only seem to keep getting busier? I've decided it's time to get my PhD so I now how to work in study time into my schedule. Reading? Writing? Arithmetic? Only as it pertains to the GRE. :) Don't know what I'm going to do when I get an offer on my submitted story. (I'm hearing rumors of possible contract. *Fingers crossed.* I should know by the end of the month.)

Emma Lai said... Best Blogger Tips

Karen, actually both His Ship, Her Fantasy and His Hope, Her Salvation are available in audio. It's amazing to hear the stories. I thought I'd be a little weirded out by hearing the sex scene in HHHS, but it just falls in with the rest of the story. Don't know if I could have been the one narrating though...

P.L. Parker said... Best Blogger Tips

Sorry I'm late - yesterday was a mess. I write at work on my breaks and the end of the week, I e-mail my latest home to add to the whole. Seems to work for me and the only time I really can work. OUCH on the blistered feet! Get better.

Emma Lai said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for stopping by Patsy! Feet are much better today. I can walk normally, at least.