Monday, May 9, 2011

Interview with Belinda McBride


Belinda McBride writes tantalizing erotic tales and she's here today to tell us about her new release. Let's give her a warm welcome! Feel free to ask her questions or leave a comment, she'd love to hear from you.


Belinda, why don’t you start with telling the readers a little bit about yourself.


Hi Karen, thank you for having me here today! I’m Belinda McBride, and I write erotic romance for Loose Id, Changeling Press, Passion in Print and Dreamspinner Press. I primarily write speculative fiction: science fiction, paranormal, that sort of thing. I also write several themes such as BDSM and LGBT as well as straight vanilla romance.


I live in far Northern California with my family and dogs, and have two adult daughters. When I’m not busy writing, I am on the dog show circuits with my Siberian Huskies.


What is your latest release? Without giving too much away, tell the readers about it.

My latest release is the novella ‘Hunting Holly,’ which is part of the upcoming Doms of Dark Haven 2: Western Night. This is a Truckee Wolves book, and as the title of the anthology suggests, it’s a BDSM story. In this novella, Holly is a shy, damaged wolf who leaves her pack and the two men she loves in order to take control of her life. Many months later, Tex and Hunter track her to Dark Haven, where she’s training as a Domme. Needless to say, her men are not only shocked, they’re more than a little excited! LOL! From there, Tex and Hunter must take control of their mate and find the trust that’s lacking in their relationship.


What inspired you to write this story?

Actually, the Doms of Dark Haven anthology was inspired when I accompanied Cherise Sinclair to a BDSM dungeon in San Francisco. We had such different perspectives of the evening that we decided to pitch an anthology to Loose Id; that’s where we picked up Sierra Cartwright for our third member.


When I approached the second book, I knew I wanted to use the character Tex; he’d first been introduced in the book “Sex and Chocolate: Toxic.” I also knew I wanted Tex to be part of a threesome. His character in Toxic is a bit of a man slut and a flirt, but he has great compassion for a small group of females the pack derisively calls the ‘Crazy Girls.’ They are females who have been subjected to abuse and torture, so they tend to be very anti-social. Of course, his love interest was one of them and his partner in the ménage is Hunter, who has his issues as well.


What do you find most rewarding about writing?

Well, first off, I’m doing something I love to do. Secondly, I’m making money doing it! That’s hugely rewarding. Writing has given me some badly needed security as well. My ‘day job’ consists of caregiving a disabled family member, and the wages aren’t all that great. It also keeps me at home most of the time, so writing is a perfect job for me.


What books have most influenced your life?

Wow, there’s a huge list, but I’ll hit a few. Black Beauty was the first novel I read, I was in the second grade at the time. One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn made me aware of the world outside of Shasta County and the US. Tolkien’s Hobbit and Rings trilogy introduced me to epic fantasy. Georgette Heyer’s “These Old Shades” and “Black Sheep” sort of gave me a taste for the anti-hero. Shall I keep going? LOL!


If you choose, which writer would you consider a mentor?

He’s not an erotic romance writer, but playwright/director Robert Soffian is the one who taught me to tap into my writing skills. In erotic romance, Lacey Savage, Beth Kery and Fiona Jayde were my support group and cheerleaders when I first got started.


Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?

I write big. I find it difficult to produce a one-shot book, every person in a book has their own story. The book a reader actually purchases is the tip of an iceberg, there’s a massive world for every story I write. That tends to take some time.


What are your current projects and works in progress?

I’m just finishing the sequel to the m/m space opera ‘An Uncommon Whore.’ This book is tentatively titled, “When I Fall.” I’m putting together a m/f shifter story for Changeling Press, for their “Final Cut: Miami” multi-author series. There are a lot of other irons in the fire, but these two are most likely to show up next.


Tell the readers where they can find you:

My website is: http://www.belindamcbride.com

My blog is: http://www.belindam.blogspot.com


Is there anything else you’d like to tell the readers?

I will be attending the Lori Foster gathering in early June. I will also be attending the GayRomLit retreat in New Orleans this October. Look for me!


Belinda,

Thank you so much for being here with us today. I wish you the very best with your books!

Karen

5 comments:

Mariposa Cruz said... Best Blogger Tips

Great post ladies--love the cover!

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for coming by, Mariposa. :)

I like the cover, too. It does catch your attention.

Belinda,
Who was the cover artist?

jindi said... Best Blogger Tips

Livres Gratuits Nice post thanks for sharing with us...

P.L. Parker said... Best Blogger Tips

Interesting post - love the cover.

Belinda McBride said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for having me here today, you guys! That wonderful cover is by artist April Martinez. I was thrilled to meet her at this year's RT. :)