Monday, April 4, 2011

Interview with Julian Adorney



Today we have with us Julian Adorney. He's here today to tell us about his fascinating new release from Gypsy Shadows Publishing. Let's give him a warm welcome. Feel free to ask questions or leave a comment. He'd love to hear from you.

Good morning, Julian. Why don't you tell the readers about yourself.

I've been a writer since third grade, when I read Terry Brook’s ‘Sword of Shannara’ and decided I wanted to grow up to write epics like his. Now, I read voraciously: Terry Goodkind, Holly Lisle, and Mercedes Lackey are my three favorites right now. I write every day. When I’m not writing or reading, you can usually find me making new friends or exploring nature.

Without giving away too much, tell us about your newest release, ‘Freedom’ published by Gypsy Shadows Publishing.

‘Freedom’ was a really fun book to write. For people who don’t know, it deals with an adventurous young man (Brian) and his struggle to find his freedom and his dreams. It kind of parallels my own life and my struggle to go pro at this writing game. Of course, it also deals with issues of true love, control, and the corrosive influence of absolute power. It’s definitely my favorite story to date.

What was Brian’s first impression when he met Gloria? Love a first sight? What drew him to her?

Brian was enamored with her. Remember, she’s sweet and pretty, and she represented the kind of free-roaming lifestyle he’d dreamed of: going wherever she willed, beholden to no-one. It isn’t until later that he discovers the devil behind the mask.


What’s Gloria’s first impression of Brian?

She lusted for him, and I mean that on every level. She wanted his body, his mind, his spirit; but not in a loving way, more in an obsessive-stalker way. Throughout the story, she tries with varying success to satisfy her urges, as you’ll find out when you read it.


What inspired this fantasy short story?

I like my stories to mean something, not just be 20-page fight scenes. When I wrote ‘Freedom’, I was thinking about freedom (oddly enough) and how that – the freedom to do as we please, to stay or to go – is really what makes all our choices meaningful. What if you didn’t have that freedom? Could you truly be happy; could you truly be yourself? Then I threw in a dragon or two and I was done. J


Tell the readers where they can find you:

Manic Readers is the best place, it links to all my books and an updated bio. http://www.manicreaders.com/JulianAdorney/


Is there anything else you’d like to tell the readers?

It’s never too late to follow your dreams. If you yearn to do something, seize the day and start it now!

Readers can purchase a copy of Freedom at: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/42334

Julian, thank you so much for sharing your new release with us. I wish you the very best!

6 comments:

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Welcome, Julian!

I love your book cover for Freedom, but I know as an author you have an idea of how the book cover should look. So my question to you is:

When you received your book cover, was it how you imagined it would look?

Cathy said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Julian,

Your story sounds good. With being so busy, a short story is about all I have time for.

I wish you lots of luck with it!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Hello,

I'm curious. Do you find it difficult to write short stories or do you prefer writing short stories to writing full length novels?

Kenna C.

Bianca Swan said... Best Blogger Tips

I ready Sword of Shannara and all the other Terry Thomas books. Enjoyed the interview Karen and Julian. Nice meeting you!

Bianca Swan said... Best Blogger Tips

Duh! Guess I was thinking movies. Terry Brooks!

GoodBooksGoodWorld said... Best Blogger Tips

Hey all!

Sorry I haven't responded, it's a long and harrowing tale involving aliens, dragonflies the size of houses, and losing my computer/internet (only one of those is true). BUT, I'm back now, as is my computer!

Karen: I love this cover, and it looks so much better than I imagined it would!

Cathy: Thanks! Hope you enjoyed 'Freedom'.

Anonymous: It really varies based on the story I want to tell. My short stories have all been cool little ideas that wouldn't work as longer tales; making them into short stories, however, was easy. Novels are a lot harder for me, because you have to juggle plot/character/theme/etc over the course of 100,000 words. That said, I'm starting my second novel next month and pretty excited.

Bianca: Yep, Terry Brooks is great. I have yet to read a book of his that I don't like.