Monday, March 7, 2011

Tracy L. Ranson and Happily Ever After Endings

Tracy L. Ranson, author of historical romances across time, is here today to discuss the importance of a satisfying ending to a story. Let's give her a warm welcome. Please feel free to leave a comment or ask questions. She'd love to hear from you.

Take it away Tracy.


Saw that coming, didn’t ya?
By Tracy L. Ranson
Okay, it’s confession time…How many of you wait patiently for the next book from your favorite author, practically salivating and counting down the days until it comes out? I know I so do…

I used to have quite a few favorite authors but I’ve quickly narrowed them down and for one reason only: I hated the ending! I don’t know about anyone else (I hope I’m not the only goober who does this) but I seriously now read the endings in the store before buying the book. Weeeeeeelll, let me tell you why. I am not going to name the author because she has written some splendid books and they’ve been terrific but this one left me bitterly disappointed. With the awesome blurb on the back and gorgeous cover, I assumed that this book would be a great as her others. Needless to say, I was utterly shocked. Not only did the heroine die at the end but he married her sister the day of the funeral!!!! Okay, how in the hell did THAT get onto a bookshelf? I’m not going to name the title either because this book is long out of print. I ranted, I raved and I screamed. Here I am, glued to my chair way late to the night, rooting for the hero and heroine to get through all their travails, hoping for a great ending then BOOM! I’m floored. That is my biggest pet peeve in the world and I try very hard to bring closure and a happy ending to all my books. I get emails all the time telling me how a reader loved the ending. I believe after the obstacles the characters have had to fight along the way, the least they deserve is a happy ending! C’mon people!!!

In all seriousness, I give my readers the same things in I want in a good book: great plot, unforgettable characters and a wonderful ending. A lot of big name authors feel that because of who they are, they can create any story and it will sell. Not true. Romance readers are the best there are and disappoint them once, they’ll feel betrayed. I make it my mission to never disappoint my readers because without them, I’d be nothing.

You can find Tracy at:http://www.tracylranson.com/




Blurb: Married to her job cop, Christine McCall wants to find the murderer of her best friend and partner, David Williams. Pushing aside the guilt she feels at not being able to save him from death, Christine reluctantly agrees to allow Drake Haaken, owner of the BESERKER club where David had been killed, to help with the investigation. Thrust into a world that she never knew existed, Christine is torn between her human loyalty and vampire love. The choice she makes may end her life.

Ebook copy available at: http://www.bookstrand.com/prince-of-darkness

1 comment:

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Tracy,

Thank you so much for coming by and sharing your thoughts. I agree with you about the hero and heroine having their happily-ever-after. Why put them through the turmoil if you aren't going to let them find happiness. :)