Monday, January 24, 2011

Interview with Devyn Quinn


Devyn Quinn has written a new mermaid series and she's offering to one lucky reader a chance to win a signed bundle of Siren’s Call and Siren’s Surrender. How cool is that! Read on and find out what you have to do. I promise, you won't have to grow a mermaid tail, go scuba diving and bring back a pearl or even fight off pirates. Though if you run into Jack Sparrow, no one here will mind if he joins us today. :)

So read on and enjoy!!


Devyn why don't you start out by telling us about yourself:


I live in the scenic Southwest, though I have also lived in Washington state and Arkansas, to name a few. I am a huge fan of dark gothic music & shoot-’em-up action movies. But reading is my first love and I spend too much time with history books, as well as feeding my addiction for celebrity biographies. I especially enjoy reading books on Hollywood before the 1960′s and is crazy about Marilyn Monroe, her legend and her myth.


I live with several cats, 11 ferrets, and one little single Shih Tzu doggie, Tess.

I am also the owner of several tattoos, including one based on my “Eternity” books.

As a child, I loved reading about the mythical legends of mermaids.


What inspired you to write the Dark Tides series about mermaids? Are your stories based off any of the ancient legends or have your created a completely new legend for your stories?


DQ: I was actually not so much inspired to write the Dark Tides series, as commissioned. Lindsay Nouis at NAL was looking for a dark mermaid series and I submitted a proposal, which she subsequently bought. I couldn’t use established mythos, such as Atlantis, and had to create my own from scratch.


Your upcoming release (Feb. 1st) is Siren’s Surrender. Without giving too much away, tell us what to expect.


DQ: This book picks up about a month after the events in Siren’s Call. This is Gwen, the middle sister’s book, and it deals with her feelings of alienation and the difficulty she has at being a mermaid. It also covers what it might feel like to be imprisoned for being different.

Gwen Lonike is the heroine of Siren’s Surrender.


What does she look like? What are her strengths? Her weaknesses?


DQ: LOL, Gwen is a red head and I often get smacked for stealing from The Little Mermaid, as I understand that character, too, has red hair. I honestly didn’t know, or I would have made the girls blondes! Gwen’s strengths are that she is sensible and level-headed even in the most difficult of situations. Her weakness is that she doesn’t want to be a mermaid at all.


Now that is a problem, isn't it? Poor Gwen.


Blake Whittaker is the hero of the story. Tell us about him. What does he look like? What are his strengths? Weaknesses?


DQ: Blake is one of those tall, dark hotties, LOL. He’s got commitment issues that stem back to his early abuse as a child. He also has a fear of the water. I won’t say why, but it will be hard for him to connect with a being who belongs in it!


Should we expect a romance between the hero and heroine?


DQ: Oh, definitely. The readers can expect a HEA.


Wonderful! I live for Happily-Ever-After Stories.


Do the readers need to read the Dark Tides series in order? How many books do you have planned for the series?


DQ: No, each book can stand on its own and readers can pick up what happened in previous books without having read one.


I love your books covers. They’re beautiful. Who is the cover book artist? Are the covers how you imagined them to be?


DQ: I have no say over the covers. They are provided by the publisher and I don’t know the name of the artist, though s/he is very talented!


You definitely lucked out!


What are you working on now?


DQ: I am working on Siren’s Desire, the third Dark Tides book, to release Feb 2012.


Is there anything else you would like to share?


DQ: That readers should be on the lookout for Darkness Descending, the first book in my Vampire Armageddon series. It’s due out August 2, and readers are in for one heck of a ride!


To find out more about Devyn Quinn and your wonderful stories, visit her at:

DQ: www.devynquinn.com To Buy links are available on her website.


Excerpt:

7 a.m. sharp.

Blake Whittaker stood in the lobby. At this point in the morning, sleepy-eyed people were beginning to wander through on their way to breakfast. Though small, the hotel offered a continental breakfast, complete with a smiling attendant who poured the coffee and helped patrons navigate the complexities of the waffle machine.

Considering the fact he was about to make a trip across the water, Blake had skipped eating. For one thing, he considered it an abomination to get up early and immediately begin shoveling down a meal. For the second thing, he hated boats almost as much as he did the water. During the few times he’d had the displeasure of riding in one, he’d never failed to get sick. The last thing he wanted to do was puke his guts up in front of Gwen Lonike.

It wouldn’t look professional.

So even though he was dying for a cup or two of strong hot black coffee, he’d forgo the pleasure until after he’d returned to the mainland. He planned to grab a cup at some fast-food joint.

On my way out of this hellhole, came his dark thought.

“Port Rock,” he mumbled under his breath. “Born here, raised here. Won’t look back when I leave here.”

He checked his watch again: 7:05. His tour guide was one late lady.

Blake glanced toward the front desk. A thin woman with frizzy blond hair and splotchy red skin was busy with customers. The elusive Gwen had vanished. She hadn’t been behind the desk when he’d come down from his room, ten minutes before the hour she’d agreed to meet him.

He was just about to amble over and bother the clerk when the door to the manager’s office opened.

Purse slung over one shoulder, Gwen Lonike hurried out to join him. She carried a large travel-capped coffee mug. “Sorry,” she said, blurting out her apology. “I needed a minute to wash my face and comb my hair.” She flicked a damp strand away with a distracted hand. “I’m ready when you are.”

Trying not to stare, Blake gave her a quick once-over. Though her clothes were the same as she’d worn last night, she looked fresh and crisp. A fitted white blouse hugged her breasts and narrow waist. Black slacks accentuated her long, sleekly muscled legs. Lustrous red hair cut in a modern shoulder-brushing shag framed her pert face. She wore no cosmetics. Didn’t need them, either. Nature had given her thick black lashes and full red lips, along with a smattering of cute freckles across her upturned nose. All together she looked absolutely adorable. Her only accessory was a small crystal pendant, which hung from a delicate gold chain around her neck.

A two-ton anvil could have landed on his head and he wouldn’t have noticed. Last night he’d been too tired and distracted to give her a second glance. Now he was looking closer, and he liked what he saw.

His inner temperature rising, Blake felt a shiver clamor up his spine. The fine hairs on the back of his neck stood up. His skin suddenly felt hot and too taut to stretch over his bones. There was a definite reaction going on, one he hadn’t felt in a long time.

Wow. Just wow.

He caught a whiff of the light scent she’d recently spritzed her clothing with to freshen it. The smell of crisp fresh pears almost made his mouth water. Desire sped through his brain. Though he usually didn’t get too worked up over a nice-looking female, there was something about this one that definitely set his male antennae to humming. He couldn’t quite put his finger on what it was, but Gwen seemed different from other women.

Special.


****Contest:

So are you hooked? Do you want a signed bundle of Siren’s Call and Siren’s Surrender for your very own? You do? Fantastic. All you need to do is tell Devyn why you like mermaid stories. That's it. So simple.


Please don't forget to leave your email so Devyn may contact you if you should win. Good Luck!

19 comments:

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi!!!

I love mermaid stories as there is not too many of them out there and I am always on the look out for something different to read.

I have read a couple of stories involving mermaids and mermen and LOVED them.

I love the sea and find it very romantic. I would love to go on a cruise one day...sigh!!!

Valerie
in Germany
valb0302@yahoo.com

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Welcome Devyn,

Thank you so much for coming by today to share your fantastic new series with us.

I just loved Mermaid stories as a kid and of course I shared my love of mermaids with my daughters. The Little Mermaid was a favorite and so was Splash. We played the VHS so much I think we wore it out. My eldest for the longest time asked Santa Claus for a Mermaid tail. lol I finally had to tell her Santa couldn't bring you something where he thought you might get hurt.

An old time favorite mermaid tale is an old movie made in the 40s, Mr. Peabody and the Mermaid. I haven't thought about this movie in a long time. I'll have to see if it's available on DVD. lol

Devyn, do you have a favorite Mermaid Movie? Does anyone else. Please share. :)

Bianca Swan said... Best Blogger Tips

I've always been fascinated by mermaids. The excerpt definitely hooked me. Your descriptions are great!

Judy said... Best Blogger Tips

I liked the movie with Darryl Hannah (mispelled) where she was a mermaid and I think Tom Hanks was the other character. Can't think of the name of it. Your covers are gorgeous, I love the colors.

I don't think I have read many books with mermaids, but this series looks very good. The ocean can be such a romantic place.

Judy
magnolias_1[at]msn[dot]com

Kelly M said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Devyn,
I have to say that before your book I really had no interest in Mermaids at all.. But I totally loved Siren's Call.. I so can't wait to read more the sisters....

Thank you for this giveaway..

Kelly M
crazybookfairy@gmail.com

Sarah Grimm said... Best Blogger Tips

I've actually never read a mermaid story, but am intrigued enough by this interview and excerpt to want to read this series.

Sarah

sarah @ sarahgrimm dot com

Brooklyn Ann said... Best Blogger Tips

I've never read a mermaid story and I would love to. Anything imaginative and surreal is my cup of tea. Count me in!

catslady said... Best Blogger Tips

Mermaids have been written about for almost forever and I love the idea that they really could exist - we know so little about our oceans - why not!!! And it seems so romantic with lots of angst.

Mel Teshco said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Devyn, *waves to Karen*
I am really intrigued with this series. I've read very few mermaid books. Would love to though! *wink*
Good luck with your mermaids, hope they sell their socks off!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Devyn! Hi Mom!

This series sounds really great. I love mermaids and new spin on the legends already has me wanting to know more.

My favorite Mermaid or rather merboy movie is, The Thirteenth Year. It was made for the Disney Channel.

Please enter me in the contest. Thanks so much!!

katrina
kitkatwithnuts at yahoo dot com

Cathy said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Devyn and Karen,

The Little Mermaid is one of my favorite movies.

Devyn, your stories sound a little darker and more passionate. Sounds fantastic.

Please enter me in the contest, too.
cnickol at verizon dot net

Thanks

Skhye said... Best Blogger Tips

Dark mermaids? I AM SO CURIOUS!

I've recently started reading merfolk tales like mad. Talk about an obessission...

Love the excerpt and awesome covers.

Devyn Quinn said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for the welcome, folks. I hope it is warmere where you are. NM is freezing cold!

night owl in IL said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Devyn,

I don't know exactly 'why' I like mermaid stories - I just do. There aren't a lot of these stories out there; they embody something [or some way of being] that some people wish were real. A wonderful fantasy.

Lea Ellen {night owl in IL}
borg_66@hotmail.com

P.L. Parker said... Best Blogger Tips

I've always been captivated by mermaid stories. This series looks great.

Liz said... Best Blogger Tips

This sounds like it was a lot of fun to write. Good luck with the series! (I assume it's still in progress.)

SiNn said... Best Blogger Tips

welll honetsly I like them ever since i watched the little mermaid i been hooked the whole call to the sea thing gets to me ur books have been on my wish list for along time aweosme post

mortalsinn@yahoo;com

Devyn Quinn said... Best Blogger Tips

The winner of Siren's Surrender is:

Kelly M
crazybookfairy@gmail.com

Thanks to all who commented. I'm on a blog tour now, so follow me on twitter or facebook for additional chances to win.

Thanks, Karen for hosting me! :)

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Devyn,

Thank you again for being a guest author on my blog. It's been a pleasure. I wish you the best with your books and with all you do.


Kelly M,

Congratulations!