Monday, November 8, 2010

Interview with Linda Kage



Linda Kage is a contemporary romance writer with tantalizing tales for adults and intriguing stories for young adults. Her young adult romance, The Stillburrow Crush, is a finalist in the 2011 EPIC's eBook Award Contest!


Let's give her a warm welcome. Please feel free to ask her questions or just say hello.


Hi Linda! Please tell us about yourself :

Hello, I’m Linda Kage. I live next door to Paris Hilton and George Lucas. On nights when I’m not attending some glamorous movie opening, I’m sitting on on my desk, letting my personal masseur, Pierre, rub my feet with warm oils while his hunky, shirtless twin, Antoine, serves me endless platters of chocolate and Dr. Pepper (sorry, I’m not much of a wine-o).


Oh, wait. What? You want the truth? But who wants to hear about a mother of a nine-month-old, spending her evenings wiping up baby poop and snot and her days at a library, sitting a desk, entering book records into a computer for eight-hours in a row? Oh, and that’s not when I’m picking up the husband’s uniforms from the dry-cleaners or trying not to burn supper. Honestly, can’t I be the first person…just for today?


You're too funny. I'd like to take the first person myself. lol


Your new release is Hot Commodity. Tell us about Olivia Donovan and why she’s so determined not to meet Cameron Banks.

Olivia has lived under her mother’s thumb her entire life. Whatever Vivian (her mom) demands, Olivia obeys. But Vivian crosses the line when she orders Olivia to seduce Cameron into wanting him to marry her. Trying to evade Cameron Banks becomes Olivia’s desperate mission to live her own life. Except she fails…though really, she doesn’t (sorry if that’s confusing. It’s one of those you-have-to-read-the-book-to-understand kind of answers *cringe*).


Tell us about Cameron Banks. What is he like? What is his first impression of Olivia?

Cam’s a bit shall-we-say plastered when Olivia taps on his shoulder at the bar. After he turns around and first meets her, he’s pretty much only thinking about how he can pick up on a pretty girl and get into her pants. His personality comes through immediately, however. He’s one of those people that suffer from verbal diarrhea, and whatever is on his mind floods out of his mouth. He delivers his thoughts in such a humorous way, though, you just gotta laugh and love him (I do, anyway).


What is Olivia’s first impression of Cameron?

Since Olivia is totally desperate in looking for a man, needing someone she thinks her mother will despise, she’s not too picky about who the guy is. But from the first moment she spots Cam, she’s drawn in by his looks. And after she starts talking to him, his quirky sense of humor keeps her

hooked.

Tell us about the companion story, Delinquent Daddy.

Delinquent Daddy is about Boston, Cameron’s first cousin/best friend/business partner/lawyer. The two men are complete opposites, which is why they were so fun to write together. It’s also why their stories are so different. Cameron’s tale starts off as an entertaining, drunken adventure and eventually turns serious. Boston’s book starts off with an “OMG, I have a ten-year-old daughter, I’m so going to kill her mother for not telling me” moment but it turns into a sweet second-chance romance.


What do you find most rewarding about writing?

I like to create a story with layers. I like fun, witty dialogue layered on top of serious, emotional issues. I’m most rewarded when I can accomplish a story that has some depth and reaches readers on different levels.


What are your current projects and works in progress?

I have three different stories submitted to publishers, currently under review. One is an Oops-sorry-I-thought-you-were-my-husband’s-mistress mistaken identity story. Another is a love-hate, cop-hooks-up-with-a-lawyer story. And the last is an emotional story about a hero whose sister has been sexually attacked and the heroine who helps him deal with his misery. So, fingers crossed there. My current WIP is a young adult story, which a lot of people have been demanding I write. I guess they liked my first YA story I wrote.


What genre inspires your writing?

Romance. I MUST have a happy ending in any book I read. Other than that, it doesn’t matter. Historical, Contemporary. YA, Adult. Paranormal, suspenseful, Erotic, sweet. If there’s a happy ending, I’m usually all over it.


Do you have a favorite book on writing or reference book? If so, which one?

I got a lot out of On Writing by Stephen King.


Tell the readers where they can find you:
My Website : http://www.lindakage.com/

Blog : http://lindakage.blogspot.com/

Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/people/Linda-Kage/1415237991

Twitter : http://twitter.com/lindakage

MySpace : http://www.myspace.com/lindakage

YouTube : http://www.youtube.com/user/LindaKage (I make my own book trailers. I know, ugg.)

Goodreads : http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/3213942.Linda_Kage

Amazon : http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B003ILJHKM

Is there anything else you’d like to tell the readers?

Just thank you so much for having me here, Karen. You ask the most wonderful questions. It’s an honor. And thank you everyone who’s managed to make it all the way through my interview to this point. I appreciate your time and attention.


Here's a blurb for Hot Commodity:


“Cam!”

“What?” he croaked in a muffled voice as he buried his face back into his pillow.

“How could you? Have you no decency at all for your family? This is my house for God’s sake!”

“Damn, Leah,” he mumbled. “Lower your voice, will you? I’ve got a killer headache.”

“Oh, do you really,” Leah said sarcastically. “Hmm, I wonder why?”

Cameron cocked open one eye to and turned his head to watch her bend down and snag something off the floor: a shot glass advertising Battista's Hole In The Wall nightclub.

Oops.

His sister shook it in his face. “This wouldn’t have anything to do with that, would it?”

He groaned. “Sorry. Forgot to hide that.”

Leah lifted an eyebrow. “Hmm, too bad,” she agreed. “Too bad you couldn’t hide the girl too.”

“Huh?” he asked, squeezing his eyes closed and stretching his arms above his head. Man, he felt like crap. He couldn’t even remember when he’d gotten home last night...or how.

What in the world had he done? Jesus, what day was it?

“The glass is actually minor compared to her,” Leah was saying.

“Her who?” He smacked his lips a few times to loosen his dehydrated tongue from the roof of his mouth.

When Leah merely scowled at him and dumped an armload of something on top of him, he jerked to a sitting position. Cursing and blinking repeatedly, he took in the sight of black high heels, torn fish net hose and a slinky strip of black silk. Intrigued by the tiny scrap of cloth, he picked it up with one finger and lifted it for a curious inspection. Good God. Was that...was that underwear?

“I’m so disappointed in you, Cam,” Leah raged. “I can’t believe you brought a woman into my home. I have a family, damn you, an impressionable four-year-old son that just adores his uncle—”

“Whoa, whoa, whoa,” he said, cutting in as he wadded the thong in his fist. “What in God’s name are you talking about? What woman?”

Leah sighed and pointed to the expanse of sheets and blankets next to him. “Well, gee, maybe the one in bed with you.”


***Contest: Linda is running a contest until the end of November to win an ebook copy of Hot Commodity!! There's a form to fill out your name and email address to be added into the giveaway. That's on her contest page : http://www.lindakage.com/contests.html.


9 comments:

Diane said... Best Blogger Tips

You have lots of books in the works! Can't wait to see what you'll come up with next!!! :O)

Linda Kage said... Best Blogger Tips

Yeah, I'd like dto know what'll come up next too!! Thanks, Diane.

And thank you, Karen, for hosting me today. This has been an honor.

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Linda,

I'm so glad you were able to join us today.

I'm with you, I must have a happy ending to a story. :)

Cheryl Pierson said... Best Blogger Tips

Linda,
I enjoyed reading your interview and learning more about you and your books! Karen always asks the best questions, and I enjoyed your responses. The excerpt was great, too--looks like my tbr list is going to grow again!
Cheryl

Linda Kage said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks, Karen. You have the most beautiful blog.

And hi, Cheryl. She really does write some great questions. Thanks for reading my excerpt!!!

Mary Ricksen said... Best Blogger Tips

Linda you are adorable! And you have your hands full. I can't wait to read you!
Verbal diarrhea, you are a pistol. You must be a lot of fun to hang with!
Karen you're right Linda is amazing!

P.L. Parker said... Best Blogger Tips

LOL - all us mommies/wives have been there, done that! Great post and book sounds wonderful.

Linda Kage said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Mary! Fancy seeing you here. Thanks for stopping by. I'm actually shy, so I don't know how fun I am to hang out with in person. But it would be so wonderful to meet every author I talk to online.

And thanks, P.L. I'm still trying to get the hang of the mommy thing. Seems like I learn how to do one thing and then she grows out of it and I have to re-learn all over again.

Debra St. John said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Linda,

I like your phrase of "companion" story. I have a series of sorts and I never know what to call the books to let people know they're connected.