Monday, September 27, 2010

Interview with Laura Tolomei


Laura, thank you for visiting KMN Books Blogspot again and sharing your Torrid Romance with us today.

It’s my pleasure to be here, Karen, with you and all your wonderful friends.

*Contest: There will be a drawing to win a copy Tasting Leon's Mark. all you need to do is leave a comment or ask a questions. Don't forget to leave your email so Laura may contact you if you should win. Good Luck!

Laura, tell us a little about yourself:

Born 1965 in Rome, Italy, I grew up in Nigeria, US and India, returning to Rome to complete my studies and start a working career. In 2008 I published my first short story in eXtasy’s Anthology Atlantis Allure and have been writing and publishing since then in both Italian and English. Still a fairly new author, I have already published several full length novels and short stories at eXtasy Books, with more yet to come also on Whiskey Creek Torrid and Romance Divine.

You reside in Rome, Italy, a city full of historical wonders. What’s one of your favorite places to visit? Is there a place in particular that has inspired your writing?

In Rome there are so many interesting sites, it’s hard to make a choice, so for me it depends on the mood of the moment. If it’s an historical one, I simply go to the Coliseum—it’s only a 45 min. walk from my home—with the Forum and Circus Maximus next to it, which brings me straight back into I Century A.D. If it’s a spiritual mood, I can visit any number of churches—big, small, ancient, baroque, modern, glamorous, humble—starting from St. Peter’s, probably the world’s most famous church, to St. Paul, St. John, St. Pietro in Vincoli, or…well, there’s just so many of them, I couldn’t possibly name them all. If I’m in an architectural mood, I usually go to Prati, a famous Roman corner with imposing buildings of the beginning of the XIX Century, which remind me of Paris, or the monumental EUR district, built by Mussolini to host the 1940 edition of the International Expo, which was cancelled due to World War II. Or else, I like to take long walks in some of the most celebrated places in the world like Piazza di Spagna, Piazza Navona, Fontana di Trevi, Piazza Barberini, Via Nazionale, all located in the center of Rome.

As far as inspiration goes, I have to say Rome is the reason I started writing back in high school, the very beginning of my writing career, though I didn’t know it would become so until a long time later. While living in Atlanta, GA, I missed my native city I wrote a short piece about it, titled “Nostalgia”, which was accepted by the school’s journal, thereby becoming my first released work ever.

Tasting Leon's Mark, deals with reincarnation. Without giving too much away, tell us about Leon and Sean’s lives past and present.

Well, Karen, I certainly can’t afford to give any of it away because the prequel to their story, Re-Scue - however you lived your past, today you’re the key to changing your future, is about to be released @ Romance Divine. Safe to say, they started their journey a long time back in a place that has nothing to do with Earth, born as man and woman on Byoldar, a futuristic city on an advanced planet, but their story ended tragically. Then again, they meet as a predator and a gazelle with the predictable ending only reaffirming their bloody connection. Yes, because what keeps them tied life after exciting life is a sensually erotic game of sex and knife, pain and pleasure mixed together in a sort of bloody ritual neither can do without, the hunter and his chosen prey inevitably tied in spite of the tragic outcomes. No feelings is the only rule the hunter warn, but his prey always falls in love with him, can never help it, fascinated as she/he is of the magnetic attraction she/he feels for the only man capable of dominating her/him. So they return as Rhodri and Aural in a rural planet, but only the incarnations of Leon and Sean manage to go beyond the original game and reach some sort of fragile balance that they test in Tasting Leon’s Mark, stretching their limits and boundaries to a new awareness, thanks to the intervention of a woman, a special one of course, in their mix.

Tell us a little about Janet. What does she think of Leon and Sean? How does she know of their past lives?

She’s too caught up by them to think clearly, or else she’d have realized she was part of their repeated life cycles. Instead, she only has visions and extra-sensorial perceptions about other people, which is how she knows about their ongoing relationship through time and space, her sense flooded by Sean’s feelings and memories. Of herself, she knows nothing, not her past, not her future and sometimes not even her present, and this prevents any in-depth analysis concerning her involvement, blinded and fascinated as she is by their incredible beauty, not to mention their amazing story.

When writing your description of your hero or heroine what feature do you start with? Eyes, age, hair color, etc?

The features I imagine most about my characters, both men and women, is their height—they’re all tall—and hair, usually long if my hero is dark-haired, shorter if he’s blond. As for eye color, I tend to use clear ones, the shades of blue and green like my own, the same I used in Sean’s and Leon’s case. But truth is I’m not very good at characterizations for I have poor eyesight, so rarely see people in their details. In my mind, the hero or heroine is mostly a voice in my head, and I rely on my husband to tell me how he sees them, then go with his description to get my covers done.

What are your current projects and works in progress?

Like I said, I’m working on Re-Scue right now, doing the final reading for an estimated release within the next few months. In addition, I’m working hard at my Virtus Saga, which already has three releases out and more to come.

The story begins in Book 1 The Sex with Duncan lost while returning home from a neighboring town. Before night falls though, he finds shelter in Ylianor’s rundown shack. The beautiful woman has a very familiar air, but for the life of him, he cannot remember who she is or resist the attraction he feels, despite his aristocratic tastes. So he offers her a job at Black Rose, his family’s estate, only to discover she’s the daughter of his father’s mistress. And his lover, Chris, isn’t too happy about her either, being fiercely determined to hold on to his prince against the hated rival he had already driven away from his lover’s side. But since life has the strange habit of surprising people, the lovers will be forced to take her along with them on a journey that will test their limits, particularly in Book 2 The Game where they’ll have to play masters or slaves in a vortex of sexual commands and passionate submissions. And even if with Duncan, Chris and Ylianor it’s easy to guess who will play what, the far reaching consequences of their game will change their lives, and that of their world, forever. Then in Book 3 The Festival everything comes together, the responsibilities and the relationships finally falling into place thanks to their new awareness of what their world is all about. And if the secret is to be as one whilst still remaining three…well, it’s something they’ll have to explore further in Book 4 The Leader, coming later 2010, with more exciting developments, twists and turns in and out of bed.

Tell the readers where they can find you:

Is there anything else you’d like to tell the readers?

First of all, it’s been a pleasure to be here with you. When I started out on this writing adventure, I had no idea it would involve such an extended social context, even if only through the Internet, until I realized there’s a whole world out there just hungering for news. And I’ve met such nice, incredible, gifted, lucky people out there that I’m glad I got into writing if for nothing else, to have the chance to meet them. So thank you, Karen, for this ulterior opportunity to reach more wonderful people and here’s where you can find me:

My Pages

Website www.lallagatta.com

GoodReads Author Page http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/2903352.Laura_Tolomei

Amazon Author Page

http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B002DBFPDQ

Authors Island

http://www.authorisland.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=874&category_id=27&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=44

Whiskey Torrid Publishing Author Page

http://whiskeycreekpresstorrid.com/authors/Laura_Tolomei.shtml

Coffee Time Romance feature page

http://www.coffeetimeromance.com/OurAuthors/LauraTolomei.html

Authors Den http://www.authorsden.com/visit/author.asp?authorid=93230,

Biblio Scribe

http://www.biblioscribe.com/profiles/LallaGatta/

Networking

MySpace

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=152533159

Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1464230924#!/profile.php?id=1554716201&ref=nf

Twitter http://twitter.com/LallaGatta

Goodreads Friendship requests

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1025370-laura-tolomei

Gay Starta http://www.bebo.com/c/home/index.html

The Blood Bank (Bitten by Books)

http://bittenbybooks.ning.com/profile/LauraTolomei

Erotic Romance Writers & Readers

http://eroticromance.ning.com/profile/LauraTolomei

Here under is book info and PG-13 excerpt

Tasting Leon’s Mark

GENRE: Contemporary

THEMES: GLBT, Gay, Ménage, Paranormal, m/m, m/f, m/m/f

ISBN 978-1-60313-690-7

RATING: Erotic, Controversial

RELEASE DATE: April 15th, 2010

PUBLISHER: Whiskey Creek Press Torrid http://www.whiskeycreekpress.com/torrid/

BLURB

The world is full of hunters and their prey. But some prey can become hunters themselves while others have hidden claws. And surrender isn’t necessarily the loser’s choice. Surprisingly, it can turn out to create new connections or balance pre-existing ones.

So will Sean accept anything for another taste of Leon?

BUY LINKS

Publisher Whiskey Creek Press Torrid

http://www.whiskeycreekpress.com/torrid/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=499&zenid=47c5e836051ffbe648cdd24366b03fdf

Amazon Kindle

http://www.amazon.com/Tasting-Leons-Mark-ebook/dp/B003HV0TVO/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&m=A3KSZ402CI2EG1&s=digital-text&qid=1281133657&sr=8-9

ARE – All Romance Ebooks

http://www.allromanceebooks.com/product-tastingleonsmark-427182-144.html

Fictionwise

http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b108523/Tasting-Leons-Mark/Laura-Tolomei/?si=0

Ebookwise

http://www.ebookwise.com/ebooks/b108523/Tasting-Leons-Mark/Laura-Tolomei/?si=43

Mobipocket

http://www.mobipocket.com/en/eBooks/eBookDetails.asp?BookID=289828

Palm Ebooks

http://store.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b108523/Tasting-Leons-Mark/Laura-Tolomei/?si=60

PG EXCERPT

Leon grinned. “I’m glad to know I was right all along.” He reached to touch his prey’s limp cock. “Your reactions were surprising to say the least.”

“For me, too.” The blond beauty took a deep breath. “I’ve always believed women didn’t attract me. When I saw them half-naked at the beach or on magazines, I didn’t feel anything, physically I mean. When I see a man, instead, every sense becomes alert, my mind starts picturing sex with him, even if I don’t like him that much. This has never happened with a woman.”

“If it makes you feel better, it didn’t this time either. You liked one woman, which doesn’t mean you have to like them all. Like me, I only feel something for you, not for men in general.”

The blond beauty was silent for a while. “Maybe you’re right, but I don’t know—”

Leon forced him to turn around and look straight into his eyes. “You’re just worried you’ll lose your gay identity if you admit you like a woman. But I know you’re much too intelligent to let generalizations blind you. Gay doesn’t define you. It simply limits your choices. You’re a person, first of all, who happens to have his own particular tastes, which should never, ever become a label.”

The dazzling blue eyes flashed in anger. “Funny of you to talk like this since you’re the first to deny our relationship, afraid to let people know you’re doing it with a man.”

Leon searched the beautiful face for a moment. “You’re right, it’s my problem, too. If I haven’t told anyone, except Janet—”

“The Kitty?”

Leon grinned at the appellative. “Right. I guess in a way I have the same problem, as if by admitting I liked you, I was denying what I always felt was my heterosexual nature.”

“That’s what defines us, lover.”

“Well, it shouldn’t because we miss out on life’s infinite possibilities. And we, above anyone else, should make it true for our current lives since we denied it in our previous ones.”

Leon searched the beautiful face for a moment. “You’re right, it’s my problem, too. I guess in a way I think along the same exclusive lines as if fucking one gender automatically excludes the other, as if by admitting I like you, I denied my heterosexual nature.”

“That’s what defines us, lover.”

“Well, it shouldn’t because we miss out on life’s infinite possibilities. And we, above anyone else, should make it true for our current lives since we spurned it in our previous ones.”

7 comments:

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Laura,

I want to thank you for joining us today and sharing what you've been up to.

So, how's the weather in your part of the world?

*yadkny* said... Best Blogger Tips

I've had my eye on this one. Your background seems really amazing, Laura! To have grown up and lived where you have would be fantastic.

yadkny@hotmail.com

Debra St. John said... Best Blogger Tips

Wow, Laura! You are one busy lady. You sure have a lot of projects going on...

It must be amazing to live near so much history. History that literally dates back to the beginning of time in some places.

Great interview ladies.

Debra
debrastjohn08@yahoo.com

Laura Tolomei aka Lalla Gatta said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi, Karen,
thanks for having me along.It's really a please being here among friends!, especially now the weather's taken a turn for the worst. You know, just last week I was in Syria--hot, sunny, desert-like climate. I loved it" Now I'm back in Rome, cold, dreary, humid and promising rain with every passing minute. A girl does so much to keep up her spirits, but the weather tries to dampen them every time LOL
But I'll survive!

Laura Tolomei aka Lalla Gatta said... Best Blogger Tips

Yeah, I really got around a lot, but believe me, it's not always as exciting as it sounds. Little kids are often unsettled by this kind of life and I know many of them, my brother included, who would've rather spent a normal life firmly settled in one place, instead of having to lose his friends, or change school and language every so often. All in all, ia lot depends on personality, how well you can adapt to change, even a dramatic one, at an early age and not everyone can. I was just lucky because I liked not having roots, no stable friends and having to put up with new cultures, new languages and new ways of life. Others weren't.

Laura Tolomei aka Lalla Gatta said... Best Blogger Tips

Acutally, Debra, speaking of history, I just returned from Syria and boy! do they have history to sell! I mean, that's where it all started, human civilization as we know it, the first cities the world has ever known, the first forms of structured society, the beginning of culture, literature, law, arts, etc. I was really overwhelmend by the weight of history over there, centuries dating back to the 14th B.C., and that boggles my mind.
In the end
But I guess Rome is a good place to start appreciating history, too.
Thanks for stopping by, Debra.

susan said... Best Blogger Tips

You are one busy lady and the sound of your new book sounds good. I can imagine you can come up with some wonderful stories being in so many places and sure they all make for great backgrounds. I wish you luck in the future and thanks so much for being here and sharing things with readers like me. susan L. garysue@dejazzd.com