Monday, September 13, 2010

Interview with Carol North


Carol North pens tales with captivating characters that you'll think about long after you close the book and she's here today to tell us about her new release. Let's give her a warm welcome.


***Contest: Carol will be giving away one PDF copy of Eternally His as the prize today. All you have to do to be entered in the drawing is leave a comment or ask a question. For extra points, become a follower to this blog. If you're already a follower, fantastic! Just state you are a follower in the comments. Don't forget to leave your email so Carol may contact you if you should win. Good Luck!


Savannah Heat is your new release. Without giving too much away, tell us about the story.

Miss Bisque is living a hand-to-mouth existence because her deceased husband set up his estate to hide his indiscretions. Colonel Parker Hill, helps Miss Bisque become a successful artist, and teaches her about love and sex. When accused of murder, she needs more help than even the colonel can provide.

Tell us a about the heroine of the story, Miss Bisque. What is she like? Naive is the first word that comes to mind. She’s a true Southern gentlewoman, who was raised to support the males in the family. Her mama said, “A good marriage is the best retirement plan a woman can have.” Miss Bisque’s late husband proved mama wrong by setting up his estate so only a pittance was doled out to his widow. The rest was set up to prevent her and anyone else from learning about his secret life.


Tell us about Colonel Parker Hill? What kind of man is he?

Hot! But a gentleman about it. The colonel lost a leg in Desert Storm. He owes his life to a female soldier who died taking fire meant for him. Consequently, he loves women. Perhaps, he loves too many women, which is the reason for his nickname “The Casanova of Savannah.”

I love the nickname!


What is his first impression of Miss Bisque? What’s Miss Bisque’s first impression of the Colonel?

She walks in on him kissing the neck of a much younger woman, and thinks he’s a womanizer.


The colonel is embarrassed about being caught in a compromising situation, but recognizes Miss Bisque’s talent and wants to help her.


What inspired you to write about a murder?

Surviving the experience was the best way in which Miss Bisque could prove she’s now a strong and powerful woman. The murder is a symbolic killing of negative beliefs.


How much research went into writing Savannah Heat?

Savannah Heat was inspired by a problem I encountered. It had to do with the way some daughters, sisters, and females in general are treated as less valuable than males. I told several girlfriends who admitted having similar problems. Smelling a story, I interviewed every woman who’d talk with me to isolate recurring challenges, then gave all of them to Miss Bisque to rise above. Maybe I wrote Savannah Heat to make sense of my own experience and to overcome negative attitudes placed on women.


Strange thing is—men love the story. I’ve had many gushing reviews from males. (Is it the sensual scenes they like?) It would be interesting to ask them. :)


Do you have a favorite research book or website?

Not really. I’m all over the internet when I research. I purchase used copies of important research books from Amazon. That’s quite a cost savings.


My current work in progress is a historical spanning four decades. Wow! That requires a lot of research.


You’ve also written a ghost story, Eternally His. (By the way, I loved this story!) Do you believe in ghosts? Have you ever seen one?

Karen, thanks for the kind words about Eternally His, which takes place in a haunted bridal salon. A copy of the eBook is the prize in a drawing from among those leaving a comment on this blog.


To my knowledge, I haven’t seen a ghost. Good thing, because I’d be screaming-scared if I did. I do believe in ghosts; one of my favorite TV shows is the “Ghosthunters.” That’s as close as I ever want to get to a ghost.


What are your current projects and works in progress?

My major work-in-progress is Little Dove, a historical novel. It opens with a young girl being displaced from her family and country because of a revolution.

Another project is the second in a “Goddess” series of novellas. The first, “Gifts for the Goddess,” will be released by eTreasures Publishing in September.


Tell the readers where they can find you:

· Web site: http://carolnorth.com

· YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/caroljnorth

· Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Carol-North/845552961

Is there anything else you’d like to tell the readers?

Thank you to everyone who reads my books.

Also, I’d like to invite everyone to my web site to enter drawings and download and request free stuff. Go to www.carolnorth.com. Click on the Stories and Fun Stuff links at the top of the page.

Don’t forget to add an excerpt, links to buy the book, etc.

Savannah Heat and my other books can be purchased at the following link:

http://carolnorth.com/order-books.htm


An adult, but not erotic, excerpt:

Savannah Heat

Miss Bisque Buys Necessities

I took only one break from painting, and went to a drugstore in a neighboring town where no one knew me. I dressed in jeans and an old blouse, covered my hair with a gardening hat, and put on sunglasses. Then drove thirty-five miles to Hinesville and found a drugstore.

Trying to appear confident, I straightened my back and walked up and down the aisles looking for the condoms. Yes, condoms. Several store clerks asked if they could help me. I politely replied "no" to all offers.

By the end of the first, and fruitless, search through the store, I felt perspiration running down my sides and wetting my blouse. My head ached with doubts. Was I being a conceited ass? Was I arrogant to think a woman of my age could be desirable to a man of the colonel's stature? Yes, I was conceited and arrogant, I told myself.

Thinking my hopes were false, I turned toward the exit door. Before I could take two steps, I recalled the gossip about the colonel, about him bedding anything in a skirt, and went back to searching for condoms. I wondered if the colonel always had a condom in his pocket and I was needlessly experiencing all this humiliation. Then decided I needed to have a stock of condoms for future use. If the colonel didn't become my lover, surely someone else would.

On my second search through the store, I found the condoms in a locked cabinet between the athlete's foot creams and the elastic bandages. I stood staring at the packages behind the glass, and felt my cheeks color.

A clerk, she looked young, I guessed twenty-five, walked into the aisle and stood beside me. "Can I help you?" she asked.

After a pause and clearing my throat, I said, "Yes. I'd like to buy some...condoms." I heard the jingle of keys and stepped aside so she could open the case, taking care to turn my face away from her.

"What kind?"

"Kind?"

"Lubricated?"

Lubricated? Being I hadn't had sex in years, lubrication was probably necessary. "Yes, lubricated, please." I felt my cheeks burning with embarrassment.

"Do you want a color?"

Color? Did she mean like red or blue? I imagined a man's erect organ encased in a fire-engine red condom. "Skin color would be nice."

"Okay. What size?"

Size? I recalled the colonel's dark blue jeans with the part over his privates rubbed a pale blue. It appeared large to me, but then I had no experience in the size of men's privates. "Ah..."

"Medium is our biggest seller."

"Yes. A happy medium."

"How many? There are three in a package."

Since I never wanted to have to buy condoms again, I said, "A dozen packages, please."

"Oh..." She sounded surprised. "One...two..." The clerk counted the packages as she handed them to me. "Six."

A package fell to the floor. I picked it up.

"You should have a buggy. I'll get one." The clerk turned and soon returned with the buggy. She dropped six more condom packages into it. "Have a nice day." She smirked and walked away.

I dropped my six packages into the buggy, purchased all twelve packages and two romance novels with cash, then drove home.

***

In closing:

Karen:

Thank you so much for this opportunity to discuss my books on your busy blog. I greatly appreciate it. And many thanks to the visitors to the blog.

Carol North


It's been a pleasure having you here! I wish you well in all you do.


27 comments:

Tanya Hanson said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Carol, Savannah Heat sounds just divine. Thanks for sharing your books today, and thanks for inviting here, Karen.

Jacquie Rogers said... Best Blogger Tips

Carol, you're amazing. Thanks for letting us get to know you and your books a little bit better, and best of luck with your eTreasures, book, too. :)

Jacquie

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Carol,

Will be in later to chat. Just wanted to say hi to everyone and thanks for stopping by. :)

Sherry Gloag said... Best Blogger Tips

I enjoyed your interview and yes, I have seen a ghost. I was eight at the time and didn't really know what I'd seen until the next day.

Danielle Thorne said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for sharing about yourself and your books. You have a great work ethic and do a lot for a lot of people. Good luck with the recent release.

Miriam Newman said... Best Blogger Tips

Great interview, Carol. I love Miss Bisque--even her name! Can't wait to see your forthcoming historical. Historicals are my weakness! Good luck.

Carol North said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Y'all:
Back from eye surgery--things are a bit blurry but feeling good.

Carol North said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Tanya:
Yes, Savannah Heat is divine especially since writing the book, I found a Southern gentleman who is much like the colonel. Stay posted---

Carol North said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Jacquie:
Actually, you're the one who is amazing--writing books, founding 1st Turning Point.com (which I highly recommend), podcasting, and the list goes on and on...

Carol North said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Karen:
Thank you again for this opportunity, and for holding down the ship until I could get here.

Carol North said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Sherry:
Don't leave us hanging. What did the ghost look like?

Carol North said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Danielle:
I see you have another new book out. You've been busy.:)

Carol North said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Miriam:
Never thought I'd be writing historical. The research is intense. I've learned to have extreme respect for historical writers.

*yadkny* said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Karen & Hi Carol,
Loved the excerpt! I'd probably feel the same way about buying condoms... too many options, lol:) I'll have to check out some of your other books.

*Blog Follower
yadkny@hotmail.com

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Carol,

So glad everything went well with you eye surgery.

I have a question for you.
If there a time period you'd like to write about in the future?

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Sherry,

Do tell about the ghost?

Has anyone else seen a ghost?

Carol North said... Best Blogger Tips

oHi yadkny:
YOu're right on. I wrote the scene as if it was me buying condoms, then spiced it up with my heroine's personaLITY and southern accent.

While checking out how condoms are displayed in my local drugstore, I found other items of interest. Can't tell you what they were because I'm blushing too much to type.

Carol North said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Karen:
The historical I'm writing now covers four decades from 1900 through 1940. To complicate it further, it takes place in three countries.

Eternally His has some historical scenes taking place in early Victorian times in the US. After the book was released, I discovered my SIL's family had owned the type of company I described in the climatic scenes. Weird!

Carol North said... Best Blogger Tips

One of my all-time favorite ghost stories is Karen's story in the romance anthology, Second Time Around. It brought tears to my eyes, the good kind of tears that you feel when the ending is satisfying.

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Carol,

Thanks so much for the lovely compliment. The Spirit of Love is a personal favorite of mine. I love the Queen Mary. It's one of those places that speaks to me. As you know, the setting for the story takes place there. I was thrilled when Highland Press accepted it for their Second Time Around Anthology.

Do you have a favorite place that inspires you?

Carol North said... Best Blogger Tips

My new hometown--Savannah, Georgia--inspires me.

Debra St. John said... Best Blogger Tips

I love a good story with a touch of the south in it! Great cover.

Margaret Tanner said... Best Blogger Tips

Wow, Savannah Heat sounds as if it is aptly named. Best of luck with it.

Regards

margaret

hotcha12 said... Best Blogger Tips

LOL KAREN YOU'RE SUCH A NUTTY WOMAN!

Carol North said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Debra and Margaret:
Thanks for the good comments about Savannah Heat. It's been getting rave reviews.

P.L. Parker said... Best Blogger Tips

LOL - loved the "condom" story, been there, done that. Haven't ever seen a ghost but I believe...I believe (if a spirit is listening and wants to make sure I do).

Carol North said... Best Blogger Tips

And the WINNER is yadkny.
Am sending her a PDF of Eternally His.

Thanks Y'all for participating. Check my site ( http://carolnorth.com/fun-stuff.htm ) regularly to learn of other contests. And, naturally, check Karen's site every Monday and more often to see what's happening here.