Monday, September 6, 2010

Interview with Amylynn Bright




Amylynn Bright weaves tales about a handsome pirate on the high sea and takes you to heaven with her Archangel romance. Let's give her a warm welcome.


***Contest:

Amylynn will be giving away a free copy of one of her books in a random drawing (the winner's choice). All you have to do to enter is leave a comment or ask a question. Don't forget to leave your email so Amylynn may contact you if you should win. Good Luck!

Tell us a little about yourself (Bio.) Amylynn Bright was reading well before kindergarten and has had a book in her hands ever since. In fact, she once swallowed a bug while walking home from school because she was too busy reading.

The natural progression from reading to writing began with the completion of her first novel, The Lonely Crayon, in the third grade. A poignant character drama of the white crayon, it won first place in a school competition. With novel-writing firmly in her grasp, she evolved to writing screen plays to entertain her girl-scout troop, and advanced to a soap-opera worthy drama in high school.

Amylynn was sure that her masterful theatrical skills would translate into a Hollywood career, so she entered film school and wrote several screen plays which are safely tucked away where no one will ever see them until she’s dead. She also enjoyed writing murder mystery scripts for a theater company, but was somehow unfulfilled when the characters constantly ended up dead.

She’s dabbled in horror (the endings are happy but gory), poetry (for about twenty minutes on a particularly angst-filled day in her teens), suspense (much too difficult), children’s books and, laughably, music lyrics.

One day, a dear friend handed Amylynn a romance novel and told her to read it. The literary snob in her rebelled, but thanks to an exceptionally long stop light, she picked it up and angels sang. Thanks to Julia Quinn, Amylynn fell in love, so to speak, with romance. She has read approximately 564,493 romance novels since that fated stop light moment and figured she’d give romance writing a go.

….And they all lived happily ever after

I love angel stories and was thrilled to find out you’ve written one. Out of Heaven is about the Archangel Gabriel and his love for a human woman. Why is Gabriel intrigued with a human? What draws him to her? Tell us about the heroine. Is it love at first sight for her? Gabriel and this woman have been in love for literally eons. When she’s in the spirit world they can be together but, she leaves him often to lead human lives. Gabriel yearns for the opportunity to live one human life with her. That’s where this story begins. I’m not sure if it’s love at first sight for Jane, but it’s certainly lust at first sight.


Will you write another angel story in the future? I haven’t considered another angel story, but nothing is outside with realm of possibility.


Pirates are another personal favorite. In The Sea Rose, Roselyn’s fiancĂ© is a minister. What are Roselyn’s first thoughts upon meeting a pirate? I believe her very first thought was “Holy Cow, he’s hot!” or perhaps something a little more 1700 English. Roselyn’s fiancĂ© is a jerk. The pirate is not. Yet, she is still engaged….


Handsome Jack—hmm, the name probably says it all, but tell us anyway what the hero of this story looks like. (Make us long for the sea.) What’s Jack’s first impression of Roselyn? Jack is everything that is tall, dark, handsome and naughty. Unfortunately, his first impression of Roselyn is of a drowned rat since he rescues her from a life boat after a terrible storm. The good news is, she cleans up well.



So you’re a TV celebrity now. Tell us how your interview with Meeting the Writers went? HA! The next blog post told of how I was saved at the 11th hour. The cable access program was cancelled due to lack of funds. We didn’t find out until we had driven all the way down there. I’ve never felt more relieved. Seriously.


Oh, no. I'm so sorry you made the drive for nothing. I wouldn't have been too pleased. It was there loss. You're the star of the show today!!!


What do you find most rewarding about writing? I love creating the setting and the story and playing God with my characters. It’s outrageously fun.


Are there any new writers that have grasped your interest? There are always new writers to be found. Right now, I’m reading a lot of Karen Hawkins and Sabrina Jeffries. Julia Quinn is my all time favorite historical writer.


What are your current projects and works in progress? Right now, my agent is preparing to send my first novel out to editors. In order to keep my anxiety level down and to keep myself from harassing her constantly for updates, I’m writing the sequel to that book. They are both set in Regency England – my favorite historical era.


Tell the readers where they can find you: Both of my novellas can be found at: www.wickedinkpress.com.


Is there anything else you’d like to tell the readers? Come read me. My books are funny and hot and a good time.


Amylynn's blog: www.thequillsisters.com is where you’ll find me daily. I try to post every day. Website is www.amylynnbright.com.


Excerpt for Out of Heaven:

The instant he left her, a screaming infant under the bright lights in a modern hospital room, he return and demanded an interview with Michael.


"I'm going. You know the love I have with her is different. One life is all I want. I have watched her leave me and return for eons, and this time I'm going whether you approve or not."


Michael studied Gabriel. "Oh Gabriel ….Why do you want to go? Humans are only mortal. They are lesser beings than our kind."


"As you say," Gabriel nodded, "but, humans are also more than you give them credit for.

Otherwise, she would not be compelled to return back there, especially not after the last horrid life. Why would a soul willfully return to pain unless the passion is more than you or I can imagine?"


Michael deliberated. Gabriel spoke with such ferocity, making it difficult not to consider his request and, being a warrior himself, Michael could appreciate his friend putting up a fight for what he wanted. Michael sat forward in his chair, steepled his fingers, and gazed at the other Archangel.


“What you ask is too dangerous, Gabriel.” Michael shook his head. “There’s no way to predict what could happen. Once they hear you’re down there . . . we couldn’t protect you.”


“I’m willing to accept the risk.”


“I’m glad to hear you are, but I’m not sure I want to accept the risks with you.”


Gabriel sighed in frustration. “Please allow me the chance. Just one life with her. I want to hold her with my arms and make love to her the way mortal men can."


After a long silence, Michael sat back in his chair, his polished armor gleaming in the ethereal light from the Astral Plane, and nodded. "One life. But, due to the risks, there will be rules and conditions."


"Anything."


"You have one earth cycle to entice the mortal woman to fall in love with you, true love. And you may not reveal your identity to her under any circumstances." Michael paused, probably for effect. He was not only the most powerful Archangel, but also the most dramatic. He stood and sheathed his massive sword. "If you fail, you will immediately return to the Akasha and there will be no other similar opportunity." His tone didn't allow for negotiation.


Only twenty-four hours. That amount of time would have to be enough time. "Thank you,


Michael," he told the retreating warrior.


"God speed," Michael called over his shoulder. "And good luck."


11 comments:

katsrus said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Amylynn you are a new author to me. I love your book covers. Loved the excerpt. Sounds like a book I would really enjoy. Lovely interview. Continued success to you. Cannot think of a good question except maybe do you have a favorite book or cover of yours?
Sue B
katsrus(at)gmail(dot)com

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Amylynn,

Thanks so much for sharing your stories with us today.

I have to say your covers are fantastic, too.

Cathy said... Best Blogger Tips

Good morning Amylynn,

What made you write about a pirate? Did you have to do a lot of research?

cnickol (at) verizon (dot) net

I'm a follower already.

Debra St. John said... Best Blogger Tips

Amylynn,

I have always loved pirate stories, so I am totally onboard (no pun intended!) with you. Angels are newer to me, but I have to say, your excerpt whetted my appetite for more of your story!

debrastjohn08@yahoo.com

Amylynn said... Best Blogger Tips

Wow - Thanks so much for the comments. I'd have to say Out of Heaven is my favorite cover - Holy Cow! Just look at that guy! I have to give all my thanks to my cover artist, Delilah, she's fantastic.

Why did I write about a pirate? I honestly don't remember. But it was one of the easiest stories I've ever done. Jack just flew off the page.

As for angels, I don't think you'll be disappointed in Gabriel.

I wish you all good luck with the contest, and enjoy my books! I had a great time writing them.

Amylynn

LORETTA CANTON said... Best Blogger Tips

When I first heard about this book I didn't want to read it. I couldn't figured out how it could end. I read the excerpt and now I can imagine.

loretta
lbcanton@verizon.net

P.L. Parker said... Best Blogger Tips

Love the covers . Good luck on sales.

Jennifer Mathis said... Best Blogger Tips

great excerpt :)

meandi09@yahoo.com

Amylynn said... Best Blogger Tips

Again, thanks for all the great comments.
-Amylynn

Carol North said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Karen and Amylynn.
Enjoyed the interview. Love the covers. Angels are "in" and I believe you can expect good sales.

Amylynn said... Best Blogger Tips

Using the "draw a name out of a hat" method - the winner of a free copy of one of my books - your choice - is LORETTA CANTON