Monday, August 30, 2010

Belinda McBride Reveals Her Passion for Writing Tantalizing Sagas!


Belinda McBride, author of erotica paranormal romances, fantasy adventures and sci-fi sagas. Let's give her a warm welcome!


**Belinda will be giving away a e-book copy of Little Foxes to one lucky winner! All you have to do is leave a comment or ask a question and you'll be entered in the drawing. For Extra Points follow this blog. If you're already a follower, fantastic! Just state you're a follower when you leave a comment. Good Luck! (Don't forget to leave your e-mail so Belinda can contact you if you should win.)


Belinda, why don't you tell us a little about yourself:


Thanks for having me here today, Karen! Well, first off, I’m the single parent of two daughters. Both are grown up and living outside of the house. One is finishing college, the other is a yacht chef for a “major movie star.” That job keeps her overseas most of the year. I live in a little house in far Northern California with an array of Siberian Huskies, wild birds and a killer Chihuahua named Squirt.


My ‘Day Job’ is taking care of my niece 24/7. She has Angelman Syndrome, which is a disorder that includes autism, cerebral palsy, and seizure disorder.

I’m a historian and cultural anthropologist by training, and can sometimes be an insufferable know-it-all. (even when I don’t know anything at all!) Other than dogs, I collect gemstones and have an insatiable love of travel.


I generally write erotic romance, mostly in sci fi, paranormal and fantasy. I write m/f, LGBT, and IR/MC.


Little Foxes is the fourth story in the Black Planet Saga. What’s the name of the first book? Second? Third? Are each story a stand alone tale or would it be best to read them in order?


Little Foxes is the fourth book in the Black Planet Saga. The previous three books are now bundled into a collection called, “Black Planet: Little Dragon.” These are stand-alone books that take place in Earth’s future. They are set in San Francisco, Hong Kong and on a hostile planet called Nephris. All of the Black Planet books revolve around the truly fabulous heroines. I wanted to write a series that had the women as the primary heroes, rather than the men. Don’t get me wrong, their heroes are pretty amazing too! But I wanted to really pay homage to action heroines in this series.


Tell us about Kitsune (Kit) Jung, your hero of the story. What kind of man is he? What does he look like? (It’s okay to make us drool. lol)


Kit Jung was a small-time villain from Little Dragon. In that book, the heroine was Rose Lee and she had quite the crush on Kit. He was shallow, immature, dishonest and sneaky. At the end of the book, he’s left as a slave on Nephris. In the time that he’s there, he really evolves into a deep, heroic man. We get the answers as to what he was really doing aboard Rose’s ship and insight as to who he really is. Kit is Chinese-American, shockingly handsome and very cutting edge with fashion. His biggest secret is that he’s very brilliant and single-minded.


Hu Fei Lee is your heroine. Tell us a little about her. What is her first impression of Kit?


What is Kit’s first impression of Hu Fei?


Well, Hu Fei is a very damaged young woman. She is a top-notch martial artist who barely survived a brutal assault by her parents’ enemies. She’s humbled, phobic and has worked long and hard to recover. She’s heard nothing but bad about Kit, but when she accepts the assignment to rescue him, she approaches him with an open mind.


Her first impression of Kit? Well, he’s wonderfully handsome, so she notices that. She also notices that he does what he can to make the lives of other slaves better, to the point of extreme self-sacrifice. She recognizes him for the heroic man he really is.


When Kit meets Hu Fei, he belives that Hu is a young man, and to his chagrin, is immediately attracted to her. I think he hero-worships her more than a little. J


It’s love at first sight for both of them! However, Kit has gone through a lot of trauma, and may not be able to overcome all the damage that he’s sustained emotionally.


What inspired you to write sci-fi romances? How do you come up with a whole new world? Do you map it out before you begin to write? Tell us a little bit about the process.


I enjoy sci fi because there are virtually no limits to the genre. I love taking a tiny woman who worships Bruce Lee and hooking her up with a gigantic winged alien. You try figuring out sex when there’s over a foot of difference in their height! LOL!


The Black Planet books evolved from two sources. First, I wanted to write a cyber-punk series in a futuristic version of the Kowloon Walled City of Hong Kong, which was destroyed in the ‘90s. I set it on the waterfront in San Francisco and called it “Wharf.” Secondly, I wanted to combine ancient Asian culture with a futuristic world, so most of the books feature members of the Lee family of San Francisco and Hong Kong. From there, I added various alien species, most importantly, the Thalians, which are winged humanoids. My main link between the books is that Guo Lee, the patriarch of the Lee family appears in them all. What’s interesting is that there’s over a 30 year span of time…and he never ages. Hmmm…


Never ages, that does have me intrigued. :)


You’ve written a few series. Do you find it difficult to write a series or do you prefer to do so?


I prefer to write in series, simply because I have a hard time letting my characters go. Plus, world building in Speculative Fiction is laborious, so why waste it? So at Loose Id, Belle Starr and An Uncommon Whore aren’t linked, but they share a common universe. I have werewolves set in the present day, and regardless of the series or publisher, they share the same mythology.


I’ve seen your book cover for Bad Angels: Falling and am intrigued to know more. Tell us a little about the Bad Angels series and what to expect.


Bad Angels is actually a prologue and then two serialized paranormal/fantasy books. Falling is essentially m/m; it tells the story of how the angel Rion literally falls into the life of Rex, who is a Ghillie Dubh. Burn and Heaven introduce their heroine Noemi, who is a woman of First Nations heritage, and has some pretty heavy secrets that she isn’t even aware of. While I’ve finished that series, I do plan to play in that world again someday.


What are your current projects and works in progress?

Right now I’m finishing edits on Blacque/Bleu, a m/m paranormal that will release at Loose Id on October 12 as part of their Coming Out celebration. I’m also working on Dos Lunas, a novella that is part of the ‘Lucky in Red’ anthology at Passion in Print, which is the new heterosexual imprint of MLR Press. I’ve got multiple works in progress, most notably sequels to Belle Starr and An Uncommon Whore, and a second Dark Haven anthology. There’s a lot of reader demand for my Truckee Wolves, so that’s in development.


Tell the readers where they can find you:

My website: http://www.belindamcbride.com

My Blog: http://www.belindam.blogspot.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/belinda.mcbride1?ref=profile

Is there anything else you’d like to tell the readers?

I expect 2011 to be an incredibly busy year, so stay tuned!


21 comments:

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Belinda,

Thanks so much for coming by and sharing your wonderful tales!

Belinda McBride said... Best Blogger Tips

Karen, thanks for having me here today!

Lena Austin said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Belinda! Hi Karen!

Cynthia Sax said... Best Blogger Tips

Wowsers, you have a lot on your plate, Belinda. I love how intricate your stories and worlds are.

Plus (grinning) I have a thing for your Asian hotties (being married to an Asian hottie myself)

Belinda McBride said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Lena! Hi Cynthia!
I also love my Asian hotties...but my biggest, long-standing crush is on Kuo Chui, the actor who played Lizard/Blind Man in the old school HK Venoms movies from the 1970s. I actually met him at the premier of a Michelle Yeoh movie in Hong Kong, and have been hooked ever since! LOL!
The things that man can do with pottery and weapons...

Debra St. John said... Best Blogger Tips

I love that one of your daughters is a yacht chef! She must have some pretty interesting stories to tell!

Beth said... Best Blogger Tips

Loved the interview. Mu younger daughter(19)wants to go to a culinary arts school. She's working on financial aid now.
Glac to learn that you are working on a sequel to Belle Starr. Loved that book. And Yeah to more wolves.

Cherise Sinclair said... Best Blogger Tips

All those huskies running around your house. No wonder those Truckee wolf shifters are so real!

*yadkny* said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Belinda & Karen!
The book sounds great and I love the cover. Erotic paranormal romances are my fav so it's great to get to know another author I can add to my list:)

*Blog Follower
yadkny@hotmail.com

T said... Best Blogger Tips

I'm new to sci-fi and find your excerpt/blurbs intriguing. Thank you for the opportunity and keep writing! ;)

T.
finalcutediting@yahoo.com

Z.A. Maxfield said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Belinda,
That sounds wonderful, I look forward to reading the Black Planet series... So many books, So little time. Looking forward to Blaque/Bleu (spelling, sorry) as well.

Belinda McBride said... Best Blogger Tips

Cherise! ZAM!
Yes, my pooches give a real air of authenticity to my werewolves! LOL! Especially when we have a group howl under the full moon!

Debra and Beth, Amanda has so many amazing stories, I just love it when she comes home and gossips. The culinary world is really challenging, but if a chef thinks outside the box, they can do really well.

Margaret Tanner said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Belinda,
Great interview. I have two sons who are chefs, but they haven't been lucky enough to work on a yacht. Good luck with all your ventures.

Regards

Margaret

Belinda McBride said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Margaret!
Being a yacht chef is a specialized field with extra education and certification required. Its not for everyone, but if you can deal with rough weather, cooking in a galley the size of a closet, living in next to no space...well, its an amazing career!

flchen1 said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi, Belinda and Karen! Thanks for the interview! Belinda, I'm definitely looking up some of your titles--I'm intrigued! :) And Asian hotties, eh? Hmm...

P.L. Parker said... Best Blogger Tips

Okay, I want to know for what movie star!!! I love SciFi - just about the only movies I watch and I love to read them. Good post.

Belinda McBride said... Best Blogger Tips

PL, you had to ask! LOL! Here's a hint:
Her boss is known as "the owner" and he stars in a movie franchise where he plays a pirate captain. Yes...that pirate captain...the one with a sparrow tattooed on his forearm...

And yes, he's a great boss. :)

Amy J Ramsey said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Karen and Belinda!
Belinda, it's nice to read about you and your work. You are a new author to me and would love to experience your realm of science fiction/romance.
Thanks for sharing!

Belinda McBride said... Best Blogger Tips

The winner of the pdf of Little Foxes is....T!

T, I'm going to email you, please, if you don't hear from my by tomorrow, email me at

belinda AT belindamcbride.com

SiNn said... Best Blogger Tips

ty for stoping by ur tales r inspiring and ur books sound awesome great post!


mortalsinn@yahoo.com

jellybelly82158 said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks for the great interview.