Monday, June 28, 2010

Let's Welcome the author of Texas Blue, Celia Yeary!!


Howdy!!! Celia Yeary is the author of Texas Blue, a western historical sure to make you want to dust off your cowboy hat and don your cowboy boots.

Let's give her a warm welcome.

***Contest: She's giving away one PDF copy of Texas Blue to one lucky winner who leaves a comment or asks a question. Sorry, the cowboy is not included.

In six years’ time, I have written about a dozen manuscripts, have three of them published, and three more contracted. In the beginning, I only wrote, mainly because I had no idea what I was doing. My life had settled down, I had new-found freedom for the first time since the age of eighteen, and simply by chance I wrote a couple of paragraphs about a young woman walking down a dusty road. Then I decided the woman had a little girl with her, and they lived deep in a forest, isolated and abandoned from the world.

This simple act turned on my brain and out gushed story after story. All I did was write, not knowing or thinking an editor or publisher would ever see my work. But as an oil gusher at first pours out tons of oil (pretend the Gulf Oil Crisis does not exist), the flow one day slows to a trickle.

Now, I know too much. Is the POV clean and pure? Are the chapter transitions clear and precise? Did I include too many passive sentences? Have I told the reader too much, instead of showing?

When I begin to doubt every word I write, I place myself in a time-out. There’s no use banging my head against the wall or slamming the lid down on my innocent laptop. So, I pick myself up, dust myself off, and start all over again.

Writing Bursts: One exercise I perform sounds very easy, but if a writer is truly in the doldrums, it can still present problems. You won’t know until you try. The exercise is called “writing bursts.” Sit down with a blank sheet of paper in front of you. For me, that would be my Toshiba laptop. For others, that might mean a pen and notebook. Think of a topic or ask someone near you—“name any topic that comes into your head.” Then, begin to write without thinking—assuming you know a little something about the topic—and continue for ten minutes. Do not stop to edit for anything—don’t worry about spelling, style, or grammar. Now. See? Isn’t that easy. It warms up your brain.

A Story in a Nutshell: Next, describe your plot in one three-part sentence—a story in a nutshell. Try it first using one of your published novels. Next, try it using one of your WIPs. Note: you may not use, “Boy meets girl, boy loses girl, and then boy gets girl.” Now, you have an outline made of three sections—the beginning, the middle, the ending. This makes your plot resemble a three-act play, a tried and true method.

Concentrate on One Character’s Desire: Concentrate solely on your protagonist—male or female. What does this character want more than anything? Answer this question in detail, and voila! You have a plot based solely on his/her desire.

Now, if only I can make this work for myself.

Texas Blue my newest release. I’d love to give a PDF of this Western Historical novel to a visitor. I’ll randomly choose a winner.

BLURB:

She wasn’t a fit mother…

So said the county judge who hired Buck Cameron to retrieve his little daughter. But when Buck finally locates the pretty mother and child, he finds the claim very hard to believe. Now, he faces a dilemma. Should he obey the order? Or should he defy the judge and rescue Marilee and her child from isolation?

She’d been banished…

Rejected and abandoned by her father, Marilee Weston used the pain of betrayal to survive. Now, she needs a way out of the forest, where she and her daughter had lived for five years. But the towering pines and fear of the unknown imprisoned her. How could she begin a new life for herself and five-year-old daughter? Will the alluring stranger free her, or prove to be even more dangerous?

EXCERPT:

“Oh…well then, what else would you like to talk about?” Her voice trembled, but she couldn’t control it.

Without turning to face her, he said, “Are you trying to make a joke, Marilee? We haven’t talked about anything worth a damn since that night in the boarding house.”

At this, he turned on the step to look up at her with his eyes narrowed. “And we had one hell of a night, didn’t we? Or maybe you didn’t. Now that I think on it, that didn’t make any impression on you. You know what it feels like, Marilee, to be made a fool? It hurts. Gut-level pain. Stupidly, I honestly thought you wanted me just like I wanted you. I’d fallen so in love with you, I firmly believed I could make you love me, too. Then what did you do? Slapped me right down from my lofty feelings.”

“Buck, I…”

“Don’t placate, me, Marilee. I got the message, loud and clear. Finally. You were right. I do have a thick skull. Takes me a while to see the real picture.”

His words struck deep, into her soul. Now, she realized how much he truly loved her, and she knew in her heart, he could overlook all of her shortcomings. He started to rise, and gently, she placed her hand on his arm to keep him in place.

“My darling,” she whispered. She felt his muscles tense. “Please forgive me. I am undoubtedly the most stupid woman on the face of the earth. Now, you have to answer this question.”

With a disbelieving look, he stared at her. She heard him breath slowly and deeply. Still as stone, he looked into her eyes and waited.

“I have six dollars saved. I have a daughter, soon to be five. I have a few clothes, but they’re all castoffs. That’s all that I have in this world. Except for one more thing. I have so much love for you, I will go anywhere with you, that is, if you still want me. And I…”

He cut her words off with a hard kiss, an open-mouthed, devouring kiss. He pulled her up, around the church, and between two Rose of Sharon bushes. He pushed her against the clapboard siding of the building, placed his hands flat on the wall, and pressed his body into hers.

“Damn, honey. You’ve about killed me.” Pushing back a little, he took her face in his hands and whispered against her mouth, “Will you marry me?”

She managed a nod, but it was enough for Buck.

NOTE: This isn’t the end of the novel—a few more events take place before the wedding day.

Thank you for visiting today--

http://celiayeary.blogspot.com

Celia Yeary

Romance…and a little bit o' Texas

www.celiayeary.com

TEXAS BLUE-eBook and Print

SHOWDOWN IN SOUTHFORK—eBook

ALL MY HOPES AND DREAMS-eBook and Print

www.thewildrosepress.com


42 comments:

Morgan Mandel said... Best Blogger Tips

Great advice. I'm going to try that three part idea and see how it works.

Morgan Mandel
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com
http://facebook.com/morgan.mandel

P.L. Parker said... Best Blogger Tips

Enloyed the post. We can't have the cowboy? Oh well - don't think my husband would let me keep him anyway. Congratulations and many sales.

Elaine Cantrell said... Best Blogger Tips

Love the three part idea. I'm going to try it for myself. I also like your hero and heroine. Now what trouble have you gotten them in...

www.elainecantrell.com

Celia Yeary said... Best Blogger Tips

Good morning, Morgan--I've tried it and it does help some--at least to get started. It doesn't solve the world's problems! Thanks for stopping by--Celia

Celia Yeary said... Best Blogger Tips

P.L.--Hi--love that photo of you and the sweet little dog.Yeah, guess I'll keep my cowboy. thanks for visiting--Celia

Linda Swift said... Best Blogger Tips

A good lesson in getting a new story started, Celia. I always learn something from your blogs. Thanks for this idea. And I enjoyed reading the excerpt from Texas Blue though I've already read the book. And I highly recommend it to everyone who loves a good romance, with a great hero.
Wishing you the continued success this book deserves. Linda

Celia Yeary said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi, Elaine--I keep my H and H in trouble--as much as I can! Thanks--Celia

Maggie Toussaint said... Best Blogger Tips

Good Morning! What an insightful post, Celia. Every time I read one of your blogs I feel like we're sitting down with a cup of coffee and chatting like old friends. You write with such charm.

Celia Yeary said... Best Blogger Tips

LINDA--thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed Texas Blue--it's been fairly successful, so far--I've been pleased. The three-part idea is not my idea, but I think it's a good one. It's good to use in writing a synopsis, too. I'm glad you stopped by on your busy morning. Celia

Celia Yeary said... Best Blogger Tips

MAGGIE--That's one of the best compliments I could have--that you feel like you're sitting down with a friend! Thank you for taking time to stop by--Celia

Beth Trissel said... Best Blogger Tips

Good advice, Celia. I must not be the only one in slow mode writing wise. I love westerns and yours sounds fabulous. :)

Celia Yeary said... Best Blogger Tips

BESS--thank you! I think the summer heat does something to our brains--slows down our creative process. I appreciate your visit! Celia

Diana Castilleja said... Best Blogger Tips

Hugs Celia!! So glad to see you doing so well. You're a Texas Charmer! *mwah*

Love and best wishes,
Diana

Mona Risk said... Best Blogger Tips

WOW what a great excerpt. I love the tension in it.

Celia, your advice is coming at the right time. I stopped writing for a week while my friends were visting and now my muse doesn't want to come back.

StephB said... Best Blogger Tips

Celia, great post! I love your suggestion to describe your WIP in 3 pararaphs. I think that's a great challenge. I LOVED the excerpt! You know westerns aren't my "prefered" genre, but I'm putting Texas Blue on my reading list. hehe.

Smiles
Steph

Kiyara_HotRomanceNovels said... Best Blogger Tips

The excerpt is nicely written and gripping! Something about the name Marilee is soft and romantic too.

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

I'm just grabbing my coffee this morning. It's a slow start for me and it looks like my muse didn't bother to wake me. lol

You've given some great advice, Celia. I'm so glad you were able to join us today.

I love paranormal romances, but there is also something about a cowboy that I can't resist. :)

Congratulations on your release and I wish you many, many sales!

Celia Yeary said... Best Blogger Tips

DIANA--caught that kiss! Thank you, my dear. Celia

Celia Yeary said... Best Blogger Tips

MONA--glad you liked the excerpt. Well, I think our Muses also go on vacation in the summer. Celia

Celia Yeary said... Best Blogger Tips

STEPH--I'd love for you to read it, but don't take time away from writing that steam punk story--still haven't figured that out! Celia

Celia Yeary said... Best Blogger Tips

Kiyara--thank you for visiting. I like Marilee, too--I know a lady by that name, and she's soft and sweet, too. But in the story, Marilee takes a Colt 45 and shoots a hanging flowerpot off the Sheriff's house porch to get his attention! She's tough. Celia

Celia Yeary said... Best Blogger Tips

KAREN--it's great to be here--your blog is quite popular. Yes, I noticed your TV cowboys! Celia

Caroline Clemmons said... Best Blogger Tips

Great advice, Celia. Where did all those hunks come from? Why can't I have them on my blogsite?

Celia Yeary said... Best Blogger Tips

CAROLINE--I know, I'm jealous, too! Thanks for dropping by--Celia

Keena Kincaid said... Best Blogger Tips

I love the excerpts, Celia, but I think I love your suggestions even more. I've never thought of distilling my plot down to such simple elements.

Congrats on your newest release. I hope you have many, many sales.

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Celia,

I thought you had to have cowboys to wish you luck with your book. lol

Debra St. John said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Celia,

Great advice. I really like the idea of the "writing burst". Sometimes those blank pages can be so intimidating. I really like the idea of "warming up my creative juices/brain" with this little exercise.

And, oh rats! Are you SURE we can't have the cowboy, too?!

debrastjohn08@yahoo.com

Celia Yeary said... Best Blogger Tips

KEENA--thank you so much for visiting. Sometimes I need things boiled down to "simple" to get it. Celia

Celia Yeary said... Best Blogger Tips

KAREN-I love the cowboys! That's the first things I looked at this morning when I opened this up. Oh, it looks so pretty--I thank you inviting me here. Celia

Celia Yeary said... Best Blogger Tips

DEBRA--I believe the cowboy belongs to Karen! I like the writing bursts idea best, too. It really does "warm up your brain." Thanks for coming by--Celia

Savanna Kougar said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Celia, just popping in to say hi.

Woooweee... love a cowboy who can kiss like that!

Margaret Tanner said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Celia,
You have given out some excellent advice.
Loved the excerpt too.
Regards

Margaret

Celia Yeary said... Best Blogger Tips

SAVANNA--Well, thank you, ma'am. I sure do appreciate it! Celia

Celia Yeary said... Best Blogger Tips

Thank you so much, Margaret--glad you stopped by. Celia

M.Flagg said... Best Blogger Tips

Great writing tip. Great excerpt. What else is there to say, Celia, except I enjoyed both. Wishing you many sales ~ Mickey

liana laverentz said... Best Blogger Tips

Celia, you have the best ideas for how to put a story together. It really is simple when you do it that way. Congratulations on your many sales!

Celia Yeary said... Best Blogger Tips

MICHELLE--thanks! I still have your Retribution novel and I'm on my last purple pen you sent--I love lavenders and purples. Celia

LIANA--a compliment from you is worth everything. It means a lot to me--thanks! Celia

Laurean Brooks said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Celia,

I love your tips! I wrote them down. And I'm ready to start on chapter 9 of "Texas Blue." Wish I could read it straight through. It's that good!

Thank you, Karen, for interviewing my lovely friend.

One other thing came to me while reading your tip, "Concentrate on your character's desire. What does she want?"

The thought that struck me after reading that tip was: "Now jot down several obstructions to keep your protagonist from getting what she wants."

These obstructions should help keep the story moving right along. Spark the muse to keep the juices flowing.

Celia, thank you for these tips. I will save them on my computer to refer back to. Maybe even add a couple other things that hit me since I'm the world's worst at hitting brick walls.

MarthaE said... Best Blogger Tips

Wonderful writing tips Celia! And that's a great excerpt. Too bad we can't have the cowboy though. Best wishes with your three upcoming releases!

Celia Yeary said... Best Blogger Tips

Hello, Laurean, dearest--you have hit on the major plotting device for a successful story.--find out what you heroine wants more than anything and place all kinds of obstructions in her way. That's it! Easy as pie. Thank you so much for reading TxBlue--I loved writing it, so it means so much to me when someone enjoys it. Celia

Celia Yeary said... Best Blogger Tips

MARTHA--thanks! They're easy tips, aren't they? I can't take credit for inventing them, though. In some form or another, they're in every writing book you pick up. I appreciate your stopping by, and you have to find your own cowboy! Celia

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Thank you, Celia for being a lovely guest and for offering Texas Blue to one lucky contestant.

Also a special thanks to everyone who came by to say howdy. Without you, we'd be all alone with the cowboys! Truly, they're grand to look at, but chatting is so much more fun. lol

Now for what you've all been waitng for. The winner of Celia's contest is...drum roll please...Elaine Cantrell.

Congratulations!

Take care,
Karen