Monday, May 31, 2010

How Tanya Hanson landed a Contact for Hearts Crossing Ranch

Let's give Tanya Hanson a warm welcome. She's here to talk about her amazing new release and how not winning a contest, she still won the heart of an editor and landed a contract for Heart's Crossing Ranch. **Feel free to leave her a comment or ask a question.

Last summer amid all the hectic hoopla surrounding our daughter’s wedding, I knew I didn’t have the brains to start a new WIP all on my own. Although my back list and future releases are Western sensual historicals, I had decided during my husband’s serious illness to maybe think about inspirational… so when White Rose Publishing announced a contest with a bunch of required elements to use, I realized I needed to keep my brain working. Using the template, I wrote a novella to enter “Hearts Crossing” .

It was also my first stab at a contemporary Western.

Contestants had to use “Hearts Crossing” as the title and match H and H to an already-designed cover. (A beautiful one by Nicola Martinez, both an artist and editor . ) From the template, Hero had to be an English teacher with seven siblings, Heroine a landscape architect, an only child.

Well, it didn’t take me but a second to realize Hearts Crossing was a great name for a ranch…that my English teacher during the school year also lived in the family ranch and led city slicker wagon-train tours during the summer months. Our heroine, recovering from her father’s tragic death, arrives as a guest for one of the tours. Sparks fly…and both help each other during a crisis of faith.

Well, I might have been sad when the winner of the contest was announced…except I received an e-mail from Nicola almost immediately about her interest in acquiring my story.

I’m thrilled that Hearts Crossing Ranch will be released this week. To enter contests for a complimentary copy, please visit www.petticoatsandpistols.com on Wednesday, and www.theromancestudio.com on Friday!

Thanks so much, Karen, for letting me visit your blog today.

Below is a little blurb. Visit http://heartscrossingranch.blogspot.com for excerpts and more news and contests.


A beautiful city slicker and a rugged cowboy…The perfect Wild West adventure.

Cowboy Kenn Martin bears the guilt for allowing a coach to ruin his younger brother’s bright athletic future. Feeling unworthy of any happiness, he’s lost his faith in relationships and in God. When he meets Christy Forrest, he begins to hope for redemption but soon learns his past mistakes aren't something she'll easily forgive.

On the Colorado wagon train adventure planned by her late father, landscape designer Christy Forrest seeks to find peace in the nature she loves. However, she can't let go of her anger at the drunk driver who killed her dad—or the woman who did nothing to stop the man from driving. Falling for Kenn Martin begins to lighten her heart…until she realizes the handsome cowboy carries heavy a burden all his own—a burden she’s not sure she can accept.


21 comments:

Marianne Evans said... Best Blogger Tips

Congratulations once again, Tanya. Contests wins mean nothing. Winning editorial interest trumps it all. Blessings, and I know Hearts Crossing Ranch will be a tremendous success. Blessings.

Margaret Tanner said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Tanya,
Great "call story" just goes to prove you don't have to win the contest to be a winner. Congratulations, sounds like a wonderful story.

Regards

Margaret

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Thank you, Tanya for sharing your success with us today. I do so love a happy ending. :)

Your story sounds like a true winner. By the way, I love the book cover. I wish you the very best!

Winnie Griggs said... Best Blogger Tips

Great sale story Tanya. And your book sounds like a heart-tugger of a story - my favorite kind!

Charlene Sands said... Best Blogger Tips

Tanya,
Can't wait to read this present day story from you!! It's a beautiful cover!

Pamela S Thibodeaux said... Best Blogger Tips

Amazing how many of us got a wip/contract out of that contest!

I couldn't finish my entry due to my husband's illness/death, but I did complete & submit the story - changed of course from Hearts Crossing to In His Sight - I had used the title as the name of a town - Hearts Crossing, TN - Now Stars Crossing, TN :-)

currently awaiting the galley!

Congratulations on your release, Tanya! I'm looking forward to reading Hearts Crossing Ranch!

PamT

Donna B said... Best Blogger Tips

Tanya - sure sounds like a winner to me! Great excerpt.

Cheryl said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Tanya,

Looks like you've racked up another winner, girl! Congratulations! What a great story about how it all "came about" for you with this book! I can't wait to read it.

Hugs,
Cheryl

MarthaE said... Best Blogger Tips

That's great how this worked out for you! Congratulations and best wishes on the release.

P.L. Parker said... Best Blogger Tips

Congratulations. Loved the blurb.

Tanya Hanson said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks, everybody, for the wonderful comments. I spent yesterday trying to get a newsletter ready LOL.

Karen, thanks again for inviting me to be a guest. I've met so many terrific friends in cyberspace. oxoxoxo

Tanya Hanson said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Marianne, your comment means the world. I've got your wonderful "Hearts Crossing" in my Kindle and I totally loved the story.

Margaret, thanks for the congrats. It's all been exciting.

Tanya Hanson said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Winnie, well, girl, you're one of f my inspirations for attempting an inspy. Also Renee Ryan. Hugs, and thanks for stopping by.

Tanya Hanson said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Charlene, and Karen again too...the cover is terrific. Nicola Martinez designed it..she's also ed in chief at White Rose and asked for the story. She's amazingly talented. I'll let her know again how gorgeous it is. And exactly that I envisioned in my head.

Thanks for posting. oxxoxo

Tanya Hanson said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Pam, thinking of you as always. It was terrific hanging out at the ranch in Bandera during the Wild Rose retreat. Bless your healing heart. I can't wait for In His Sight. Nicola told me because of the "brand" theme for HC ranch, she wanted to keep the name in the title. Thanks for being here. oxox

Tanya Hanson said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Donna...good wishes mean so much. Thanks for taking the time.

Cher...my filly friend. You are so good at all this, so your compliments mean the world.

Hugs to you both.

Tanya Hanson said... Best Blogger Tips

HI Martha, thanks for commenting. I sure appreciate it. And the good wishes, too.

P.L., aw, Nicola helped with the blurb, too. She's definitely multi-talented and a talented multi-tasker. I am horrible at blurbs LOL.

Thanks everybody, for helping me start my Hearts Crossing journey in just the right way! oxoxox

Sarah Simas said... Best Blogger Tips

Congrats on catching an editor's eye and your new release!! I think your story is awesome!! I love to hear these stories!

Best wishes for tons of success and sales! :)

Hi KMN!!((hugs!))

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Tanya,
It's been a pleasure having you here.

Everyone,
Thank you for stopping by and making Tanya feel welcome. It is truly appreciated.

Take Care,
Karen

Tanya Hanson said... Best Blogger Tips

Dear Sarah, thanks soooo much for your kind words. Hugs to you!

And Karen, thanks for letting me visit in your little corner of the world. oxoxo

Penny Rader said... Best Blogger Tips

Congrats, Tanya! I wish you many sales and much success. :D