Monday, April 26, 2010

Interview with Debra St. John

Sexy Heroes and Spunky heroines and sultry romances to tantalize your senses. Let's welcome TWRP author, Debra St. John!

**There will be a drawing to win one of Debra's wonderful tales. Details below.

Tell us a little about the author. (Bio, tidbits, likes, dislikes. If you use a pen name, why did you choose to do so?)

I’ve been reading and writing romance since high school. The reading part came easy, but although I always dreamed about publishing a romance novel, my first attempts were pretty lame. But many years later, after learning a lot, my dream came true with my first book “This Time for Always”. “Wild Wedding Weekend” is my second book from The Wild Rose Press. "This Can't Be Love" will be coming soon. I do use a pen name as I wanted to keep my “real life” separate from my “author life”.

I live in a suburb of Chicago with my wonderful hubby, who is my real life hero. In my free time, what little there is of it, I love curling up on the couch with him and watching movies. I’m still an avid reader. I always try to read for at least an hour before I go to bed each night. Some nights it happens, some it doesn’t!

Tell us about Wild Wedding Weekend due to be released April 2010. Without giving too much away, how does two world travelers end up married to each other?

Through a set of, shall we say, “interesting” circumstances, our hero and heroine, Abby and Noah, wind up on a game show together. Of course they end up winning the grand prize: a televised wedding! To Noah, a seasoned traveler, the resulting honeymoon is just another adventure. But for Abby, who’d much rather stay at home, it’s an experience way out of her comfort zone. Along the way they discover things not only about each other, but themselves as well. What can I say? Sometimes opposites do attract!

What inspired you to write the story?

To be honest, I don’t remember the specific inspiration. One day I thought, “Hmn…wouldn’t it be fun to write a story about two people who had to get married because of a game show?” Ta da, a romance was born. I did use a bit of real life inspiration; the places Abby and Noah visit on their honeymoon are the same places my hubby and I visited on ours.

Are your characters purely from your imagination or do you they resemble people you know?

The main characters are straight out of my imagination, although I did base Noah’s looks on Brad Pitt! There are some minor characters in the book I’ve based on people I know. My way of giving them a little shout out.

The Wild Rose Press offers e-books and print books. Do you have a preference?

I have to admit I am partial to print books, especially my own. There’s something incredibly special about holding a book I wrote in my hands and having it on my library shelf.

What are your current projects and works in progress?

In addition to “Wild Wedding Weekend” coming out April 9, I have another book under contract with The Wild Rose Press. “This Can’t Be Love”, which will be my third novel with them, is a spin off of my debut novel, “This Time for Always”.

Currently I’m about a third of the way through my latest WIP. I actually get to meet my editor (All of our contact so far has been through e-mail.) at a conference next month, so I’m hoping to have it done so I can pitch it to her then.

Tell the readers where they can find you:

Readers can visit me at my website www.debrastjohnromance.com or at The Acme Authors Link, http://acmeauthorslink.blogspot.com, where I’m the Sunday blogger.

Is there anything else you’d like to tell the readers?

I’d just like to say thank you to everyone for their support and encouragement. Being an author has been a dream of mine for a long time, and I’m having the time of my life since that dream came true. Thanks so much for visiting here today, and a great big thank you to Karen for having me!

WILD WEDDING WEEKEND Blurb:

All Abby Walker ever wanted was to live a normal life in her small suburban-Chicago house. After traveling around the world in her youth, staying put in one spot is a dream come true. But when she winds up on a game show as a favor to a friend, her life takes an adventurous turn she isn’t at all prepared for.

Noah Grant has put his small-town Indiana roots behind him. He travels all over the world, enjoying the freedom and adventure. He has no intention of settling down anytime soon, if ever. But then he finds himself married to Abby in a bizarre quirk of fate, and he realizes his life will never be the same.

Their passion flares as hot as the sultry Caribbean air. But is passion enough to turn their Wild Wedding Weekend into a lifetime of love?

Excerpt

“I really am sorry.” Abby's mind whirled. The thoughts tangled. The Noah she’d spent the last couple of days with wasn’t anything like the man she’d imagined him to be. The man even he claimed to be. Who was the real Noah?

She didn’t have time to ponder the question, because he took both her hands in his, drawing her attention back to him. “Know this. While we’re married. For this week, this trip, this asinine show, I am committed to you.” He paused and raised one hand to tuck a wisp of hair behind her ear. “Totally. Completely. Committed. To you.” With each word his voice and head lowered, until the last was a whisper against her lips.

His hand slid around to the back of her neck, then up into her hair, unfastening the clip and tossing it aside. He tangled his fingers in the strands that fell free, using enough force to keep her from pulling away as he deepened the kiss.

Abby had no thoughts of moving even the slightest bit away. She wrapped her arms around him as the tip of his tongue teased the fullness of her bottom lip. When she opened to him and he dipped inside, she almost melted from the instant flood of liquid heat that suffused her body. The warmth spread to her limbs and made her pliant as, his mouth never leaving hers, Noah lowered them both to the bed.

Buy WILD WEDDING WEEKEND at:

www.thewildrosepress.com/wild-wedding-weekend-p-3962.html

Buy THIS TIME FOR ALWAYS at:

www.thewildrosepress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=903

Blurb: As manager of a local bar, The Corral, Sharlie Montgomery has put the past behind her. That is until Logan Reed walks back into her life, turning her world upside down. His presence brings back painful reminders of the past: the love they once shared, the money he took from her father, and the baby she gave up for adoption.

Logan wants to buy The Corral, and he’s come back to town to prove he’s made it on his own without the Montgomery money. Sparks fly whenever Sharlie and Logan are together. Anger, fear, and jealousy aren’t enough to erase the love they once felt for each other. But is love enough? Logan wants a family—the one thing Sharlie can’t give him.

*Debra will be giving away one pdf copy of her book to one lucky winner. All you have to do is leave a comment, ask a question or just say hi and you're entered in the drawing. Don't forget to leave your contact info.

17 comments:

Morgan Mandel said... Best Blogger Tips

That hour of reading each day doesn't happen often with me,but wish it could. I try to read at lunch, but my lunch breaks aren't even an hour! I do love reading no matter what time it is late at night when I'm on vacation.

I met your editor over the weekend at Spring Fling conference and she's really sweet. You picked a great place to showcase your talents, of which you have many, Debra.

For more on Debra St. John, come to
http://morganmandel.blogspot.com
where she's also visiting today.

Morgan mandel

Debra St. John said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Karen,

Thanks so much for having me today!

Morgan, It was so much fun to finally meet my editor in person over the weekend. Thanks for visiting here today!

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Debra,

Thank you so much for joining us today. Your books sound wonderful!

Maria said... Best Blogger Tips

Great interview and post. The books by Debra sound great and I will be adding her to my list of authors to read. Thanks for the contest.

Debra St. John said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Maria,

Thanks for visiting!

CathyN said... Best Blogger Tips

Your books sound really good. I'm adding them to my to buy list. Please enter me in the drawing.
Thanks,

CNickol at manatt dot com

Kenna said... Best Blogger Tips

Nice Interview. Wild Wedding Weekend sounds really good.

Please Enter me in the drawing. I'd love to read one of your books. Win or lose, you're on my to buy list.

email: castlehunter@verizon.net

Debra St. John said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Cathy and Kenna,

Thanks for popping by and thanks for adding me to your TBR list!

Good luck in the contest!

Debra St. John said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Karen,

Thanks again for having me today, and thanks to everyone who visited.

Karen, do you want to choose a winner, or shall I?

susan said... Best Blogger Tips

I love the sound of your book and hope to add it to my list.I try to read a little each day and some days I get away with a few hours. I like those days. ha ha susan L.

Willa said... Best Blogger Tips

I always loved those historical novels where the hero and herione are forced to marry or be together due to some cultural or parental pressure. It allows the characters to get to know each other and still have those touchingly romantic moments of first love, without hiding from each other. But since I've gotten in contemporary novels I have lost that plot devise. It doesn't exactly make sense in a modern novel. Wild Wedding looks great. Its a practical and understandable way to get that plot back. I can't wait to give it deeper look.

Debra St. John said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Susan and Willa,

Thanks for visiting.

Susan, I love those days that slip away while reading for hours. They don't happen often, do they?

Willa, bringing Abby and Noah together this way sure did make for some interesting interaction!

Debra St. John said... Best Blogger Tips

And the winner is...

Willa!

Congrats, you've won a PDF copy of either "Wild Wedding Weekend" or "This Time for Always". Let me know which one you prefer.

debrastjohn08@yahoo.com

Amy J Ramsey said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Karen and Debra,

Nice interview! Thank you Karen, for letting us get to know Debra and giving me another interesting author to add to my ever growing TBR pile... :)

Amy

CathyN said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Amy,

I'm glad you were able to stop by. The books sound wonderful, don't they? :)

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Hey Amy,

Nice to have you here.

My TBR is quite large too. lol

Take Care

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Congratulations, Willa! Enjoy the read!