Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Interview with Karlene Blakemore-Mowle!


Action, Adventure and Passion! You'll find all three in Karlene Blakemore-Mowle's debut novel Fallout.

Let's give Karlene a warm welcome! Make sure to leave her a comment or ask her a question, she'd love to hear from you.

I'm so happy you could join us today. Why don't you tell everyone a little about yourself.

I live in Australia, on the Mid North Coast. I work part time in a pathology lab taking blood... and other bodily fluids for testing by a pathologist. I also have four children and a husband and when I'm not writing, being a mum or handling bodily fluids... I like to kayak and read and spend time in the beautiful part of the world I'm lucky enough to call home.

In Fallout, your character Tully Chambers is a detective and Jake Holden served his country for twenty years. What research went into creating these fascinating characters?

The majority of my heroes are military. I lived in a military town in Far North Queensland for a long time and have always had a strong affinity to the armed forces. My brother and father have both had army backgrounds. I think Jake is a combination of a few real life people I've met during my travels. As for Tully, I am lucky enough to have some fantastic on the job resources who were more than happy to lend me their time to ensure authenticity. I don't know where Tully came from, she's a very different character than I've ever written before- a lot more independent, she had a harsh upbringing and has learnt the hard way, not to trust easily. But she also has a soft centre and will always fight for the underdog and this manages to prevent her character becoming too self contained-- I hope!

Tell us about Tully and Jake and what to expect from them. Is it love at first sight? Or would they much rather shoot it out and ask questions later?

Definitely NOT love at first sight, these two really don't make the best first... or even second impressions upon each other! However these two compliment each other- They are both relative loners, two halves of a whole...they just don't see it at first!!

Tully and Jake’s kiss scene was a finalist in the Romance in the Back Seat Contest. I have to say it was very hot. I definitely wanted to know more. What’s your secret in writing a passionate kiss?

I have my editor to thank for that. I used to make the mistake of teasing the reader with a kissing scene or love scene, and while in a sweet this is the norm, I did it more because I really wasn't sure how to express all the mechanics in a way that didn't sound like a 'How To' manual!!! Thank goodness for a great editor!!!!! Laura Kelly is my angel in disguise. It helped once I had a break down of the scene... they start off sweet and gentle, they talk a little, then it gets a bit hotter, less talking, then it self-combusts!

What made you decide to become a writer?

I loved romance, I can still remember being hooked by my nannas secret stash of Mills and Boons-but I knew the kind of story I wanted to read and I just had to write it. It was a long nine-year road to get here and it's still a journey each day.

What are your current projects and works in progress?

I have two other romantic suspense titles currently under submission, so maybe there will be some big news there soon. I also have a rural romance with suspense themes with an Australian publishing house that I'm VERY excited about and hope to hear back about shortly.

Tell the readers where they can find you:

I have a blog that I show case my characters and books, as well as post pictures of the area I live in and other bits and pieces that relate to both readers and writers. http://karlybm.blogspot.com

I'm also on facebook under Karlene Blakemore-Mowle.

Buy Fallout at: http://www.thewildrosepress.com/suspense-c-137.html

Blurb for Fallout.

Risking their lives for others is second nature, but can they trust each other enough to risk their hearts?

Tully Chambers is no damsel in distress. An up and coming detective, she had her sights set on promotion until the day her partner was murdered and she ended up on the run from the mob.

Jake Holden has demons of his own. Having served his country for over twenty years, he’s found himself wounded, alone, and without a plan for his future. What starts as a simple diversion--trying to figure out the feisty little waitress next door—turns out to be his most dangerous mission yet.

From the tropics of Far North Queensland to the rugged isolation of the Northern Territory in Australia, two modern-day warriors discover their greatest fear isn’t that of a madman’s revenge–but of laying their hearts on the line for love.

Excerpt for Fallout.

Someone was trying to break in…

“Who are you?” she demanded.

“What the hell?” The intruder struggled, to twist without success, beneath her.

Tully registered his deep voice before repeating her question. “Who. Are. You?”

“Jake Holden,” he growled back.

“Why are you breaking into my house?”

“Lady, I have no idea what you’re talking about. This is my house. I’m trying to open my door.”

Now that her eyes had adjusted to the light outside Tully could make out the profile of a strong face, grimacing in pain.

He had short dark hair and was nicely built. Under her knee she noticed his strong neck and broad shoulders. He didn’t have the physique of a body builder, all muscle and no neck, but he still appeared to be very fit. She also smelt alcohol. While she wouldn’t have said he was inebriated, his reaction time had been off a little.

“I just moved in today. You can check my license and see for yourself,” he offered, grunting in pain.

“Where is it?”

“Well, if you let me up I’ll get it out for you”

She wasn’t about to let this guy up just yet, not until she got to the bottom of this. “Where’s your license?”

“Front right hand side in my trousers.” His tone came out stiff and full of wounded indignation.

“You’ve gotta be kidding me. Who keeps their wallet in their front pocket?” she scoffed, thinking he had to be lying to create an opportunity to make a break for it.

“It’s not in my wallet, I just took my ID and cash to the pub,” he growled. “But if the thought of sticking your hand down my pants scares you—”


Thanks so much for the opportunity to take part in this blog.

You're very welcome. I wish you success in all you do!


Fallout 17th Feb 2010
www.thewildrosepress.com

12 comments:

Karlene Blakemore-Mowle said... Best Blogger Tips

Breaking news! I have just received word that The Wild Rose Press have contracted another of my books!!
Thank you for having me as a guest on your fantastic blog.

liana laverentz said... Best Blogger Tips

Happy Release Day and congratulations on your new contract! Fallout sounds like a winner, and that cover is awesome!

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

How wonderful for you! Throwing confetti your way!

Kaylea Cross said... Best Blogger Tips

OMG, I love your cover. Gorgeous. And I love that you have such an affinity for the armed forces ;)

Just bought a copy and now have to wait several hours for my kids to be occupied so I can read it. Looking forward to it!

Carol North said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Karlene:
So you're a professional Vampire? LOL Love the excerpt, especially the one-liner at the end.

Hi Karen:
Another terrific interview. You know how to bring out the best in an author.

Skhye said... Best Blogger Tips

LOL, great excerpt! Thanks for sharing.

Karlene Blakemore-Mowle said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks everyone for taking the time to get to know me, feel free to add me to face book so I can return the favour!
I love the cover too Liana :)and thanks for the confetti Karen *doing a quick round of the blog with a vacuum*
Kaylea I bought you ebook yesterday- out of her league- we can be a mutual admiration society! The Marines are coming in the next book!
Hi Carol, yes, I am a professional vampire! Although let me tell you with it being release day and receiving news of a brand new contract-- wasn't a great day to come and get your blood taken!!! concentration levels were a little hazy! BUT I haven't lost a patient yet ;)
Skhye, glad you enjoyed the excerpt :)
Hope I've made sense here, I was so excited about my interview that I couldn't sleep so I'm up at 4.45 am to check in with you all!!!! Gotta love those time zones!
Thank you all so much for the lovely comments. :)

Hywela Lyn said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Karlene, congrats on your release, and the new contract - and I've just realised we share the same fantastic editor!

Debra St. John said... Best Blogger Tips

Great stuff all around. Great cover, great blurb, great excerpt!

Thanks for the interview, ladies.

And Karlene, congrats on the new contract as well.

Suzanne Brandyn said... Best Blogger Tips

The cover is absolutely fabulous Karlene. Congratulations on your release and on the up and coming newer one.

Suzanne :)

Margaret Tanner said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Karly,
Wow congratulations on the new contract. Thrilling news.
Great interview. Loved the excerpt too, this story sounds a real winner.

Regards
Margaret

Karlene Blakemore-Mowle said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks so much! I hope you enjoy it. I have ahd some lovely comments so far! Still grinning. :D