Monday, February 1, 2010

Interview with Christine Columbus

"Discover a New World of Romance" with Christine Columbus. She's an author of western romances and romantic short stories. Let's give her a warm welcome.

***Christine will be choosing one lucky winner who leaves a comment.
3 pack of short stories(pdf) - Uncle Mike's Love, Coffee and Love To Go and Happy Meal.

Tell us a little about the author.

Christine Columbus is my real name and the reason I write under my ‘real name” is…

Thirty years ago my high school my boyfriend said, “Promise me you’ll always write under you name.”

“Sure, but why?” I stared into his Wiley Coyote eyes.

“Because someday when I am at the grocery store waiting in line to check out. I’ll glance up and see a novel with your name and I’ll know it’s you.”

Of course my first thought was ‘jerk.’ His vision of the future was me being a successful author and my vision at the time was I’d be a sweet little wife waiting at home for him to come home with the bacon.

You’ve written sweetheart short stories. Do you find it difficult to write an entertaining story with engaging characters with so few words? What’s the secret?

The secret is I have a very short attention span and I really like beginnings. Which is why I like to write shorts, I like to make up stories whenever I see a couple and speculate how they came together. Short stories are like going to a party and meeting new people, their stories are interesting and intriguing. Whereas, sometimes when you’ve know people for a long time, you already heard most of their stories and after the tenth or hundredth time you’ve heard them they become boring.

So writing short stories is like going to a party every day.

You have a novel coming soon (Feb. 19, 2010) to The Wild Rose Press: The Perfect Country and Western Story. Tell us a little about the story.

Last year Alexandra was sharing a dance with the handsome cowboy when she abruptly had to leave, but instead of leaving behind a glass slipper, she runs away with his hat.

The story starts out with Alexandra going back to the large outdoor country concert with the autographed Toby Keith cowboy hat. Her hope is to find the cowboy and explain.

How did you come up with your title?

I was at an outdoor musical festival with my daughter, sister-in-law and nieces. We were sitting around the campfire listening to David Allen Coe sing, “You Never Even Called Me By My Name…” and in the chorus he sings, “…I TOLD HIM IT WAS NOT THE PERFECT COUNTRY & WESTERN SONG BECAUSE HE HADN’T SAID ANYTHING AT ALL ABOUT MAMA,
OR TRAINS,
OR TRUCKS,
OR PRISON,
OR GETTING’ DRUNK…”

So, we brainstormed about The Perfect Country and Western Story, and of course concluded the perfect story has to have a Handsome Cowboy, Intriguing Heroine, Romance, Love, Mama, Trains and a little getting drunk.

Do you have specific writing style?

I write with humor, my goals are to not only tell a good story, but to make people laugh.

What are your current projects and works in progress?

I am currently working on a new novel that is a little bit mystery and a lot of romance. I also have a number of short stories rattling around and of course I am always trying my hand at flash fiction and poetry.

Tell the readers where they can find you:

My website is: ChristineColumbus.net

Is there anything else you’d like to tell the readers?

Thank you, if it wasn’t for the readers my motivation for writing wouldn’t exist. I write because I want entertain. (And yes maybe because there is a little tiny part of me, deep down, that wants my novel to be at the checkout of a grocery store for a certain someone to see.)

Excerpt:

Alexandra has the Stetson hat, now all she needs is the cowboy. But with three days and over 50,000 faces to search, will she be able to find the man who stole her heart?

Ben still can’t believe he was foolish enough to let the beautiful thief walk away with his autographed Toby Keith cowboy hat. If the heartbreaker dares to show up at Country Time again this year, he’ll not only be looking to get his hat back, but aiming for a little payback as well.


Buy The Perfect Country And Western Story


15 comments:

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Thank you, Christine for joining us here today.

I do love a man in a cowboy hat. :)

lastnerve said... Best Blogger Tips

I loved this very laid back interview! I can't wait to read the stories! I'm going to go steal a cowboy hat to see if I can find in him in 50,000 people now! I do love cowboys! Yeaaahawwww!

Val pearson
lastnerve2000@gmail.com

Christine said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Val,

Thanks for stopping by... and wouldn't it be fun to just show up at a country concert with a Stetson...and say I'm looking for a cowboy man to wear my hat.

P.L. Parker said... Best Blogger Tips

I'm . . uh . . . trying to think. Great cowboy pic in the top corner. Agree with Val, very laidback and fun interview and the blurb is terrific. Good luck with sales.

Patsy

Sweet Vernal Zephyr said... Best Blogger Tips

Very nice interview... now what would bother me about the boyfriend's comment is that he obviously WASNT WITH ME in the future he was picturing... LOL

mdwartistry at yahoo dot com

Christine said... Best Blogger Tips

It’s amazing what goes through your head at 17…and what is still stuck there at 50. Every once in a while I think back and laugh…

Carol North said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Christine:

Love your story concept.The excerpt is enticing.

And your interview inspired me to get off the fence and use my real name for a novella I written that is hotter than by usual stories (but no where near what's called "erotica").

Christine said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Carol,

Glad to hear you are motivated to use your real name another plus about using your real name you can post your accomplishment at Classmates - you never know who will see it.

Mary Ricksen said... Best Blogger Tips

Good luck Christine, I'm taking out my old hat now. It's been a long time since I wore it. Yee Hah! Great interview!

Christine said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Mary,

Thanks for stopping by, I'm going to a country concert in June, Toby Keith will be there...so I have a little bit of time to get out my hat.

Debra St. John said... Best Blogger Tips

I so cannot wait to read this story. It does sound absolutely perfect!

EA said... Best Blogger Tips

I thought this a wonderful interview. I hope that this work attracts many readers and followers for future projects.

Christine said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks to everyone who stopped by... I had fun doing the interview.

Christine said... Best Blogger Tips

And the winner is Carol North...please send me your email and I'll forward you short stories to you. www.christine.columbus@hotmail.com


Thank you

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Congratulations, Carol!