Sunday, December 20, 2009

Interview with Jennifer Childers

Jennifer Childers is here with us today. She's one of the Crimson Rose authors at The Wild Rose Press. She'll be talking about her new release Kindertransport. Find out about the real Kindertransport and what it entailed.

Tell us a little about the author. (Bio, tidbits, likes, dislikes. If you use a pen name, why did you choose to do so?)

I'm Jennifer Childers and I live in North Carolina with my husband and son. I have been in nursing for 25 years. I have worked in child abuse prevention programs and as a guardian ad litem.

George Bush Sr. gave me an award for my volunteer work.

I try to keep a balance in life: work, play, quiet time. I like history, and the twilight zone moments that creep into life when you don't expect it. In today's paper the headlines read: "Jennifer Childers gives birth in ambulance". It wasn't me! What are the odds of two women having the same name in this small town?


I was going to use Candace Black as my pen name as I wanted to write for children as well, and thought Childers a better kid book author as it had "child" in the name. I couldn't put another name on my first book so I stuck with Jennifer, maybe Candace will make her debut elsewhere, it might be fun to keep her as my sexier, sassier alter ego.


Stop by facebook and say hi. There are a few Jennifer Childers' there. I am pictured with my son. We are wearing twin red t-shirts.


Your story, Kindertransport takes place around the time of World War II. Can you tell the readers about the real Kindertransport and what it entailed?


After Kristallnacht, Britain agreed to take 10,000 German children for a silver bond to pay for resettlement. Children between the ages of 5-17 went to England, most being high-risk children who were already living in ghettos. Many joined the military when the war started; most never saw their parents again.


How much research went into creating your story and how much of the book is realistic?


I read "an idiot's guide to Nazi Germany and other books to get a feel for what it was like for the average person living under the Reich. As Americans we don't think about so many restrictions on speech, the press. Its hard to imagine a group of people coming in and literally affecting every aspect of your life.


Buy Kindertransport at The Wild Rose Press


What books have influenced your life most?

Stephen Kings, The Stand, gave me a lot to think about.

A short story called The Scarlet Ibis has an excellent point about: Die living refuse to live dying.


The best self help book I ever read is Robin Norwood's, Women Who Love too Much.


What are your current projects and works in progress?

"The Forgotten Bathory", "Hope" a sequel to "The Program."


Tell the readers where they can find you:

Jenchilders.com or candaceblack.com

I am also on facebook and myspace and authors den


Is there anything else you’d like to tell the readers?

Loving yourself is the greatest gift you give the world. You can't give to anyone else before you do.


I just wanted to let you know "Kindertransport" is available at The Wild Rose Press. http://www.thewildrosepress.com/kindertransport-p-3543.html

Excerpt

I filled a syringe with morphine.

Could innocent blood ever be washed away?

Would my hands ever be clean again if I continued on this course? The gas would make them choke, gasping for breath as life was strangled to nothingness. Morphine would make them euphoric, and an overdose would put them to sleep, peacefully, with no pain. A sleep from which they would not awake, but they would be safe from the evil that awaited them otherwise.

I filled the second syringe. I thought of each child as I punctured the rubber stopper, the needle sucking up the lethal fluid filling the tube. Little Wilhelm. My treasured leader of the pack. The braces on his legs never stopped his imagination from soaring. Lara. An artistís soul expressed with the one good hand she had. Art reflective of the beauty living in her heart. The twins. Isnít intelligence measured with creativity? I would sorely miss their energy.

My hand slipped and the needle grazed the knuckle of my thumb. I swore and bit my lip. Perfect. I’ll kill myself before I get a chance to euthanize my children. Then, after I enter Heavenís gate, if He lets me inside them, God can tell me I am an idiot and a murderer.

I rubbed my shoulders. They hunched with an invisible weight that made my back ache.

Review: In the months before full scale war breaks out in Germany Erika Lehmeier is trying to find a way to help the six children she cares for escape death. Hitler has decreed that people who have no worth to society, the ones he calls feeders, have to die to preserve the sanctity of the Aryan race. Erika knows the strengths and goodness of the children and can't bear to see them harmed. The only one she can turn to is Rickard Sankt an SS officer. Will he help her or lead them all to certain death?

Jennifer Childers tells a fascinating story of atrocities committed by people who believed in a leader who brought them to prosperity. By the time they realize what is going on they couldn't refuse to follow his demands if they wanted to live. There are always those, like Gregor, who thrive with a license for cruelty. The writer reminds us in many ways that he and others of his ilk aren't representatives of all German society. Most readers know the history of the death camps where Jews and other unwanted adults were annihilated. This is a heart wrenching tale. I don't think the plans to destroy a whole generation of adults and children with any kind of mental, emotional or physical defect is as widely known.

Excellent characters and dialogue throughout show the wide variation in the German citizens' reactions to what is going on around them in the world. Erika, Rickard, Father Julian, Olga and many others show the diversity and the love everyday Germans have for their country. Ms. Childers has done an exceptional job crafting this mixture of fact and fiction into a book that will captivate the reader from first page to last.

Overall rating: Sensuality rating: Very sensual

Reviewer: Dee Dailey

http://theromancestudio.com/reviews/reviews/kindertransportchilders.htm


10 comments:

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Thank you Jennifer for being here today!

Jen Childers said... Best Blogger Tips

HI Karen,

Its fun, thanks for having me.
I will be in Florida for a book signing the 30th at Circle books on St. Armands Key, sarasota and then on the 2nd at E#lsie Quirk library in Englewood.
History is a great topic. You can get lost in cultures and the lives of people.

Margaret Tanner said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Jennifer,
Sounds like a compelling read. Best of luck.
Regards
Margaret

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

I wish you success with your book signing!

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

I wish you success with your book signing!

Jen Childers said... Best Blogger Tips

Thanks loads!
I havent been back to Florida in a couple of years so we'll see how it goes.
Tell me about an act of rebellion. Was there a time you did the right thing when it wasn't popular?

Jen Childers said... Best Blogger Tips

Anytime,
Stories are always best when shared.
take care
Jen

Mary Ricksen said... Best Blogger Tips

Sounds like one great story, I sure hope you sell a ton of books Jennifer. Good luck.

Rebecca J. Clark said... Best Blogger Tips

This sounds like a very powerful, emotional book. I look forward to reading it.

:)Becky

Jen Childers said... Best Blogger Tips

thanks all!

I wanted to let people know about resistance movements. People will rise up and do the right thing when pressed.

Take care,
Jen