Monday, December 14, 2009

Interview with Barbara Edwards

Barbara Edwards is here to talk to us today about her dark paranormal tales that are sure to keep you up at night. For the romantics, she also has tales from the heart that will make you sigh. Let's give her a warm welcome. Please make sure to leave a comment and questions. She'll be popping in to answer them.

Tell us a little about the author.


I’m Barbara Edwards and I’m a native New Englander. I’m a graduate of the University of Hartford with a Master’s degree in Public Administration. I write poetry for myself and novels when I need to tell a longer tale. I’m fascinated by the past so naturally turned to writing historical romance. The dark paranormal stories evolve from nightmares. The romance comes from my belief in people’s basic goodness and longing for love.

I lived in Florida for several years and am past president of the Central Florida Romance Writers and a member of Romance Writers of America.

When I returned to Connecticut, I founded the Charter Oak Romance Writers, a Chapter of Romance Writers of America, along with several close friends.

My husband is a retired Police Sergeant. We share an interest Civil War re-enacting and travel the Eastern states to participate in events. I love visiting museums, galleries and battle sites, gathering information for my stories.

I taught Romance Writing at Manchester Community college for three years. I’m fond of gardening and growing antique roses with limited success. Most of my exercise is when my Belgian Shepherd, Dixie, demands a walk.

Ancient Awakening is a spine-chilling horror that is difficult to read during the day. Have your evil characters ever scared you so much you had to put down the pen (or in most cases, close the document?)

Until my editor told me the book kept her up all night, I didn’t think about the scariness. Since I know the characters so well, I’m too involved in their story to step back. I think if I read it now I would be afraid to sleep.

How do you put yourself in the mind of a killer?
The same way I do all my characters. I try to understand why he’s doing what he’s doing, then how the evil act is done. It’s as if I’ve met him and he’s revealing his inner self.

Buy Ancient Awakening at: http://www.thewildrosepress.com/ancient-awakening-p-3662.html?zenid=c8c1a66be68e5c2351c2c67f3b2bd5e9

You also write romantic tales as well. Tell us about Annie’s Heart.
Annie’s Heart is about overcoming fear to find love. Annie is still one of my favorite people.
Blurb: Only two coins and a gold pendant heart separate widowed Annie Moss from disaster. The fields need to be plowed, the barn repaired and food stored for the winter, but she is alone and afraid. Her dream of a home for her children hangs from the promise of a wandering man to keep moving on, a man she has no reason to trust.

Trace Randolph has lost everything except his honor, so when a desperate Annie saves his life he knows he must pay his debt, even if it means marrying her. The only promise he makes is to leave before the winter snows. A promise he finds impossible to keep.

Available at http://www.wings-press/Bookstore/Annie’s%Heart.html


You taught Romance Writing at Manchester Community College. Can you give us some pointers on what makes a good romance novel?

Always make the love story the main focus of a romance. That doesn’t mean every page must be about the relationship, but it must be what brings the reader back.

What are your current projects and works in progress?

I have several books in the works. Another romance, the second book set in Rhodes End with a werewolf hero and a time-travel.

Tell the readers where they can find you: My website is www.barbaraedwards.net,

Is there anything else you’d like to tell the readers?

Here’s the blurb and an excerpt for Ancient Awakening:

Police Officer Melanie Petersen is the only one who believes a suspicious death is murder. By disobeying direct orders from the Rhodes End Chief, she risks her career to follow clues that twist in circles to her backyard and lead the killer to her. Her neighbor Stephan Zoriak is a prime suspect. While working for a major pharmaceutical company, he is exposed to a dangerous organism that changed him. He suspects he is the killer and agrees to help Mel find the truth when the deaths continue. In the course of their investigation Mel and Steve find more death and continued distrust that make them wonder if love can defy death.

Excerpt:
“Don’t touch me, Mel, not unless you’re willing to do a lot more,” he warned as her hazel eyes flared golden.

“Don’t threaten me, Steve. You’re…”

He pulled her into his arms despite the alarm bells clanging in his head.

Danger! Danger! Danger!

Her widened eyes met his. Mel’s hands were trapped against his chest, but she didn’t push him away. Instead, her fingers curled into his shirt.

Her mistake. His mistake was to crush her mouth under his.

Mel’s soft lips parted. Need exploded. The taste of black coffee didn’t hide her sweet flavor. As her tongue tangled with his, her arms slid around his neck and her fingers burrowed through his hair.

Steve hungered to peel the starched shirt off her soft shoulders, lay her on the thick turf and ease his desire. He tasted her brows, her cheek, along her throat, seeking the source of her call. Her pulse whipped under his mouth, awakening another need.

His teeth gently closed on the vulnerable vein.

He wanted, wanted, wanted…

Cold alarm chilled his pounding blood.

Steve gasped for air. He’d forgotten his own ironclad rule. Mel’s eyelids flittered open to reveal the molten glow of desire but he forced himself free.

He had no right to touch any woman. Not until he knew he hadn’t become what he had set out to destroy.

7 comments:

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Thank you Barbara for being here today and sharing your wonderful tales with us!

Skhye said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi, Barbara. I love using ancient and awakenings in titles! Used both... And scary tale, eh? My critique partner told me NAKED ON THE STAIRCASE was too scary, she had to stop reading. LOL So, it looks like I need to read your book.

Great interview, Karen!

Merry Christmas to you both.

Huge prize: a cache of Time Guardian treasure. To enter, join me at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/skhyemoncrief/.

Destiny Blaine said... Best Blogger Tips

Super interview, ladies. Merry Christmas! :))

Hugs,
Destiny

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Thank you Skhye for stopping by. I entered your contest yesterday at Writer's Mind.

Destiny thanks for always being there with kind words.


I wish both of you Happy Holidays and a Wonderful New Year, too.

authorbarbara.edwards said... Best Blogger Tips

Thank you all for dropping by and a special thanks to those who left comments. Karen, Skhye,Destiny and Karen: thanks for taking the extra time.

Keena Kincaid said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi, Barbara. What a wonderful interview, and your book sounds absolutely fascinating. I love a good horror story. So when you dream about your characters, do you ever wake up scared?

authorbarbara.edwards said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Keena,
Im not afraid of my own characters, and I dream about them every night.
But stories by Stephen King give me nightmares.
Barbara