Sunday, November 8, 2009

Find Out Where the Story Began...

My story The Spirit of Love is featured in my new release "Second Time Around Anthology" with five other authors and their fabulous tales.

The setting for my story takes place aboard the historical Queen Mary docked in Long Beach, California. The museum/hotel is a personal favorite of mine. Perhaps it's the art deco decor or the atmosphere of the place that draws me back time and again. Both give a person a glimpse of days long past. Along with the exhibits and the special events, they also offer a ghost tour. In honor of The Spirit of Love, I would like to offer a tour of my own.

The Queen Mary is known to have "hot" spots or places where spirits have appeared to guests and employees.

Our first stop will be in the pool room where Travis and Brynna set up their equipment to find a ghost of their own. The dim lighting and empty pool are an
eerie reminder of what the pool room once looked like in its heyday. There's no shallow end and the deepest point of the pool is fourteen feet deep.





The dressing room is noted as being a "vortex of energy" where psychics have felt a negative energy. The picture to the right is the my digital photo of the room lighted by my flash, but the room was dark on our tour. The dressing room line both sides of the room. The doors are no longer attached, leaving each tiled room open for view. We were asked to step into one of the rooms while we waited to see if anyone sensed a presence. I didn't feel a hostile entity, but I did have an experience. A dark shadow stood in front of me, blinding what little vision I had in the room. I thought at first the dim lights were turned off, making it impossible to see anything. Then scent of a woman's perfume hit my nostrils. By the time I voiced what happened, both had vanished. Did I experience a visit from a ghost? Perhaps, who's to say for sure. To my disappointment, my photos didn't catch the ghostly encounter.

In front of the dressing room, wet footprints have been seen. Also the gate has opened and shut without anyone being there. An apparition of a woman in a bathing suit and a little girl have also appeared, transparent but still able to make out the old time bathing suit and the little girl's dress. A psychic believes the little girl's name is Jackie.

On the tour, we used the dowsing rods to see if the Jackie would communicate with us, but she didn't want to cooperate that night. The dowsing rods had worked in other areas of the ship, moving with a quick movement to answer yes and no questions. I was skeptical about the rods and volunteered to hold the rods myself in the engine room. When we asked the yes and no questions, the rods moved in a direction with a quick movement to respond. I had no control of the movement whatsoever. Very strange to say the least.

Our tour guide for the evening, Erika Frost is a paranormal personality and psychic. She's been on the Sci Fi Channel with the Ghost Hunters and the National Geographic Discovery's "Haunted Ships." She's also been on Coast to Coast with AM with George Norry. We also had Erika's good friend, Jack Rourke with us as well. He's a Psychical researcher and psychic consultant who preforms readings in LA. (Erika Frost is on the far right and Jack Rourke is standing on the stairs.)

I hope you enjoyed the virtual tour of where my tale, The Spirit of Love, will unfold.

If you would like to be entered in the contest to win a copy of the anthology featuring The Spirit of Love, please leave a comment about your favorite place to visit. Tell me why you're drawn to the place.

All names will be put into a hat and my daughter will have the honor of drawing the lucky winner.

Contest begins Nov. 9th and ends Nov. 29th. Winner to be announced on November 30th.

*Note: Only US and Canadian residence are eligible for print or pdf version of Second Time Around. All other countries are eligible for pdf version only.

Second Time around is available at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Enjoy the book video.


video

19 comments:

Destiny Blaine said... Best Blogger Tips

I can't wait to read this book, Karen. Congratulations!

Hugs,
Destiny

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Thank your for stopping by. :)

SiNn said... Best Blogger Tips

humm my favorite place to visit would have to be well ill discribe to you cause its a particular place that isnt on any maps me and my fiance call it the Willow its a feild with a beautiful willow Tree with pretty green grass and beautiful flowers in the spring time im so drawn to this place not only because its breath taking but its where i got my first kiss with my fiance and just a peaceful placeto goto recharge im drawn there for all those reasons but mostly because its secluded and no one really knows about it but a few.

my other place i love to visit it my home town in indiana i love itbecause well i grew up there so many great memories

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Your first kiss--Indeed it would be special. It sounds beautiful!

Carol North said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi Karen:
Can't wait to read the book, especially your story. Please don't enter me in the contest because I've already ordered the book and expect it in the next day or two.

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Cool. Thanks Carol. I hope you enjoy all the stories. :)

Mindy said... Best Blogger Tips

Great book Karen, I LOVE the pictures & background. My favorite place to visit would have to be Stonehenge, England.
I havn't been there yet but I look at the pictures & it just seems so calm and serene.

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Mindy,

I've never been to Stonehenge either, but it is on my list to see one day. Maybe I'll see you there. lol

Thanks for stopping by for a visit. :)

Sarah Simas said... Best Blogger Tips

HI Karen!

Lady, your blog looks divine!

I loved the pics of your tour. How fun! Hubs and I have taken to watching Ghost Lab on Discovery. (ok, more me than hubs! lol) BUT the last one we watched was the investigators trying to root out the ghost of John Wilkes Booth. I got the chills!

I'd love to visit the Granbury Hotel in TX and see if I could hear Mr. Booth's footsteps. But my fav would be to go to Loretta Lynn's plantation and see the ghost there. I did work at an old winery right out of college. It was beautiful. Wood worked beams and walls. Some nights, I'd be so back logged with micro samples I'd be burning the mid-night oil. Sheesh! That place was spooky at night. Seriously!

Congrats on your new release!! :)

Nicole Zoltack said... Best Blogger Tips

My favorite place to be is any place to is still unspoiled. Forests or those places where you can imagine that you are in another time. But I would love to go to Europe and see some of the old castles and use them for settings for stories.

stephiebow said... Best Blogger Tips

queen mary is my favorite haunt we cant get enough of it

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Sarah,

Those are great places. I haven't seen Ghost Lab. We watch Ghost Hunters--Yep the kids and I more than my husband. :)

Nicole,

I want to visit castles, too. I've been to a few in Ireland, but most were ruins. I love to go back and explore again. The Blarney Castle's grounds were enchanting.


Steph,
You know I love the Queen Mary. Definitely one of my favorite Haunts!

Thanks for stopping by.

orelukjp0 said... Best Blogger Tips

Wow. What a fantastic experience. Depending on what you are looking for, my favorite place to visit for a paranormal experience is Resurrection Cemetery in Justice Illinois. I love near by and there are quite a few paranormal entities roaming the grounds. Not as much as Bachelors Grove but still a lot.

For just a place to visit, it would have to be Koloa, on the island of Kauai. It is just such a peaceful area. And my favorite experience was taking in a rodeo on top of a mountain. I saw the rodeo riders with surfers and para-sailors on the ocean in the background. A truly beautiful site.

Thanks for entering me in your contest.

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

A favorite place can be anywhere and for any reason why you're drawn to it.

A rodeo on top of a mountain-- sounds like a truly cool experience.

Have you experienced anything paranormal at Resurrection Cemetery?
What kind of things have been noted? I love haunted places and like to learn about the history of the places.

s7anna said... Best Blogger Tips

That would so scare the crap out of me...I'm such a wuss that I can't even imagine going on the Queen Mary for a tour...As much as I love to read about paranormal themed stories...I can't stand to watch paranormal shows or movies.

Happy Reading
Anna Shah Hoque
s7anna@yahoo.ca

Christy said... Best Blogger Tips

As strange as it sounds,Sitting in a cemetery (usually my fathers grave). Even though you feel loss and pain.You can find a sense of clarity as well.

another is an old church my husband and I visited in Kennybunkport Maine, was very old make of stone right on the ocean coastline (The president Bush Sr actually jumped from an airplane for his birthday this year on the lawn very close to this ..was so very beautiful. ( i think it was called st ann's not sure)

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Christy,

A Cemetery--I don't find it strange at all. Most cemeteries I've been to are beautiful and peaceful.

Thanks for stopping by. :)

jennifer said... Best Blogger Tips

I watched the episode on ghost hunters about the queen mary which sparked my interest in the ship. if i had the money my favorite spot in the world would be found on my trip around the world but for now it's in my bed with my blankey and a hot book lol

Karen Michelle Nutt said... Best Blogger Tips

Jennifer,

Bed, blanket and hot read--
I would have loved to do that today! lol

I saw the Ghost Hunters episode aboard the Queen Mary, too. Our guide Erika Frost was on it, too.